Re: Tennessee power

  • Mike French
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
      Sam:

      I had a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on a Bolger/Edey & Duff 29 foot
      Shearwater yawl (#7) which would do hull speed (6.5 knots +/-) at
      about half throttle and 12 miles per gallon. Loaded displacement was
      about 2900 lbs, beam 6.5 feet, flat bottom, large radius
      chines,leeboards up and rig standing. By the way this same engine and
      boat are extensively used and still performing well for the current
      owner 21 years later.

      Mike

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:

      > I have read with interest the discussion of power/performance for
      the Tennessee, particularly concerning Esther Mae's 25 hp
      four-stroke. I was hoping to get high displacement speed (7kts)
      without straining a Yamaha high-thrust 9.9. Can anyone comment if
      this is realistic? How does she handle with a larger motor like the
      Honda 25 without the large high-thrust prop? Unfortunately, Yamaha
      has a high-thrust 9.9, a 50, and nothing in between. Thanks Sam

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
        On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Mike French <barklakemike@...> wrote:
        > Sam:
        >
        > I had a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on a Bolger/Edey & Duff 29 foot
        > Shearwater yawl (#7)

        Cool boat, the Shearwater.

        I am also amazed that Bolger specifies a 9.9hp motor as minimum
        feasible power on my 31 foot long Topaz Spyder runabout.

        I am still plugging away on my Topaz build, and have opted for the
        high end power (90hp Honda) because I want to pull water-skiers.
      • Kenneth Grome
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
          A 9.9 HP will push 5000 pounds at displacement speed, that's
          probably why he spec'd such a small engine as a minimum.

          Sincerely,
          Ken Grome
          Bagacay Boatworks
          www.bagacayboatworks.com

          > I am also amazed that Bolger specifies a 9.9hp motor as
          > minimum feasible power on my 31 foot long Topaz Spyder
          > runabout.
        • mark hamill
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
            I recently found out that Yamaha outboards are made in China under the
            name of Parsun. They are cheaper and from the outside exactly the
            same.The longshaft are the same price as the short and can be purchased
            with remote controls. Don't know about the insides or warranty.
            www.worldoutboards.com

            " Hello Sir, the following is the pricing for a 9.9 and 15 electric
            start long shaft with remote controls.

            9.9FWL-ER $2659.00 CDN
            15FWL-ER $2999.00 CDN "