seizing rope onto double paddle for Payson Pirogue

  • Michael Galvin
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
      I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe (deckless
      kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind." I built a pair of double
      paddles according to Bolger's plan. He calls for wrapping rope on the ends
      of the handle, near the paddles. He describes this as "drip seizing" rope
      onto the handle. He sketches a nice, neat wrap.

      Can anyone suggest how this is done? What sort of knot is used to make it
      look neat? It reminds of building structures in Boy Scout "pioneering" in
      which we "wrapped and frapped" cordage around logs to join them together. I
      think we started the wrap with a clove hitch, and ended it with a clove
      hitch.

      Anyone got a better idea? Can you point me to a diagram of how this is
      done?

      Michael Galvin

      mgalvin.com/boatbuilding

      Muskegon, MI

    • Christopher Wetherill
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
        Michael,

        I would use a turks head on each end and a french hitch in between.
        Turks head is here:
        http://www.troop54.com/knots/TurksHeadKnot/TurksHeadKnot.htm French
        hitching is simply consecutive half hitches. You might also look for a
        copy of a book by Harvey Garrett Smith titled Marlinspike Seamanship.
        It was also published under the title The Arts of the Sailor.

        V/R
        Chris

        Michael Galvin wrote:
        > I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe (deckless
        > kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind." I built a pair of double
        > paddles according to Bolger's plan. He calls for wrapping rope on the ends
        > of the handle, near the paddles. He describes this as "drip seizing" rope
        > onto the handle. He sketches a nice, neat wrap.
        >
        > Can anyone suggest how this is done? What sort of knot is used to make it
        > look neat? It reminds of building structures in Boy Scout "pioneering" in
        > which we "wrapped and frapped" cordage around logs to join them together. I
        > think we started the wrap with a clove hitch, and ended it with a clove
        > hitch.
        >
        > Anyone got a better idea? Can you point me to a diagram of how this is
        > done?
        >

        > Michael Galvin
        >
        > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding
        >
        > Muskegon, MI

      • Christopher Wetherill
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
          Found a link for french hitching:
          http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/clovehitch.html

          Michael Galvin wrote:
          > I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe (deckless
          > kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind." I built a pair of double
          > paddles according to Bolger's plan. He calls for wrapping rope on the ends
          > of the handle, near the paddles. He describes this as "drip seizing" rope
          > onto the handle. He sketches a nice, neat wrap.
          >
          > Can anyone suggest how this is done? What sort of knot is used to make it
          > look neat? It reminds of building structures in Boy Scout "pioneering" in
          > which we "wrapped and frapped" cordage around logs to join them together. I
          > think we started the wrap with a clove hitch, and ended it with a clove
          > hitch.
          >
          > Anyone got a better idea? Can you point me to a diagram of how this is
          > done?
          >

          > Michael Galvin
          >
          > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding
          >
          > Muskegon, MI

        • adventures_in_astrophotography
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
            Hi Michael,

            > I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe
            (deckless
            > kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind." I built a pair of
            double
            > paddles according to Bolger's plan. He calls for wrapping rope on
            the ends
            > of the handle, near the paddles. He describes this as "drip
            seizing" rope
            > onto the handle. He sketches a nice, neat wrap.
            >
            > Can anyone suggest how this is done? What sort of knot is used to
            make it
            > look neat? It reminds of building structures in Boy
            Scout "pioneering" in
            > which we "wrapped and frapped" cordage around logs to join them
            together. I
            > think we started the wrap with a clove hitch, and ended it with a
            clove
            > hitch.
            >
            > Anyone got a better idea? Can you point me to a diagram of how
            this is
            > done?

            I used rope to make leathers and buttons on set of oars a while back,
            all without knots. I glued the starting ends of the leathers to the
            oar, wrapped away, then glued the other end. For the buttons, which
            are probably closer to the drip rings on a double paddle, I used a
            hot knife to cut both ends of a piece of rope and quickly stuck the
            two ends together while they were still hot. Then I slipped the ring
            down the oar handle and epoxied it in place. I then brushed all the
            rope with epoxy, down in the "valleys" between the wrappings and
            such. This process is described in Payson's book "Build the New
            Instant Boats" in the chapter on Gypsy.

            The oars are backup for a motorboat, and I've only used them once to
            sneek up to a fishing spot, so I can't comment on longevity. Rubber
            drip rings for double paddles are available online, assuming your
            paddle comes apart to get them on the shaft.

            Jon Kolb
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
              In my book, whipping (which hides the knot inside the string) is the
              neatest way to wrap a pole with string.

              http://www.inquiry.net/images/whip.jpg
            • nordski62
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
                > I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe
                (deckless
                > kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind."

                Michael, I just finished the Payson Pirogue as well and have found it
                to be a great little boat. It's pretty stable and fast. I made a snap-
                on skirt that keeps the water from the paddle off of my legs. Aaron
              • Bob Johnson
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
                  On Friday, September 5, 2008, at 02:03 PM, Chris wrote:

                  > You might also look for a
                  > copy of a book by Harvey Garrett Smith titled Marlinspike Seamanship.
                  > It was also published under the title The Arts of the Sailor.

                  Just to clarify, but those are not the same book. There is a good deal
                  of overlap in the material presented, but _The Marlinspike Sailor_ came
                  first, published by the Rudder in 1949. _The Arts of the Sailor_ came
                  next, published by Van Nostrand in 1953.

                  TMS is larger format and very skill and/or project oriented. TAotS is
                  more narrative, sort of a text book of traditional ways. Both are
                  worth having and are available in reprint editions.

                  Bob
                • Michael Galvin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
                    Aaron

                    I would love to see a picture of your Pirogue and skirt. I've taken lots of
                    photos of the construction of my Pirogue and will organize them into a page
                    on my website, soon. The paint is curing on my boat as I type. I expect to
                    launch her Sunday.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
                      Bruce

                      Thanks for the suggestion of "whipping" the pole as if it where the end of a
                      line. I should have thought of that. It's a great idea. Simplicity itself.

                      Mike Galvin

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
                        Jon

                        Thanks for your ideas. The paddle I constructed does not come apart, so
                        rings aren't an option.

                        Mike Galvin

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 5, 2008
                          Chris

                          That Turk's Head looks cool, and do-able by an old scout who never advanced
                          beyond Life. I didn't understand the French hitch suggestion. I see how I
                          could place a Turk's head at the ends of the pole, inboard of the paddle,
                          but where would the French hitch go.

                          Mike Galvin

                          Michael Galvin wrote:
                          > I just finished building a Payson Pirogue, a double-paddle canoe (deckless
                          > kayak), described in "Boats with an Open Mind." I built a pair of double
                          > paddles according to Bolger's plan. He calls for wrapping rope on the ends
                          > of the handle, near the paddles. He describes this as "drip seizing" rope
                          > onto the handle. He sketches a nice, neat wrap.
                          >
                          > Can anyone suggest how this is done? What sort of knot is used to make it
                          > look neat? It reminds of building structures in Boy Scout "pioneering" in
                          > which we "wrapped and frapped" cordage around logs to join them together.
                          > think we started the wrap with a clove hitch, and ended it with a clove
                          > hitch.
                          >
                          > Anyone got a better idea? Can you point me to a diagram of how this is
                          > done?
                          >

                          > Michael Galvin
                          >
                          > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding
                          >
                          > Muskegon, MI

                          > ------------------------------------

                          horses
                          (978) 282-1349
                          <mailto:bolger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com> Yahoo! Groups
                          Links

                        • nordski62
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                            Michael,

                            I just posted a couple of photos to an album titled "Bolger Canoe". I'm headed out boating
                            this morning and will take a few pictures of the spray skirt. The skirt was easy to make and
                            really works well. Happy launching on Sunday! Do you have your boat set up with a kayak type
                            seat? Aaron

                            > I would love to see a picture of your Pirogue and skirt. I've taken lots of
                            > photos of the construction of my Pirogue and will organize them into a page
                            > on my website, soon. The paint is curing on my boat as I type. I expect to
                            > launch her Sunday.
                            >
                            > Michael Galvin
                          • Christopher Wetherill
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                              Michael,

                              I sent a subsequent post with a view of the french hitching, but it
                              didn't get on for some reason. Here it is again:
                              http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/clovehitch.html It is basically a
                              multi-[ass clove hitch. The idea is that you would make the whole thing
                              out of one piece of string..

                              V/R
                              Chris

                              Michael Galvin wrote:
                              > Chris
                              >
                              > That Turk's Head looks cool, and do-able by an old scout who never advanced
                              > beyond Life. I didn't understand the French hitch suggestion. I see how I
                              > could place a Turk's head at the ends of the pole, inboard of the paddle,
                              > but where would the French hitch go.
                              >
                              > Mike Galvin

                            • Christopher Wetherill
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                                Thanks for the clarification. I had one or the other and had read the
                                one I didn't have and had reached the idea that they were the same.
                                Unfortunately, my parents sold the house and moved onto their boat while
                                I was at sea and it got lost in the shuffle.

                                V/R
                                Chris

                                Bob Johnson wrote:
                                > On Friday, September 5, 2008, at 02:03 PM, Chris wrote:
                                >

                                >> You might also look for a
                                >> copy of a book by Harvey Garrett Smith titled Marlinspike Seamanship.
                                >> It was also published under the title The Arts of the Sailor.
                                >>

                                > Just to clarify, but those are not the same book. There is a good deal
                                > of overlap in the material presented, but _The Marlinspike Sailor_ came
                                > first, published by the Rudder in 1949. _The Arts of the Sailor_ came
                                > next, published by Van Nostrand in 1953.
                                >
                                > TMS is larger format and very skill and/or project oriented. TAotS is
                                > more narrative, sort of a text book of traditional ways. Both are
                                > worth having and are available in reprint editions.
                                >
                                > Bob

                              • Christopher Wetherill
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                                  Michael,

                                  Third try to post this link.

                                  I sent a subsequent post with a view of the french hitching, but it
                                  didn't get on for some reason. Here it is again:
                                  http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/clovehitch.html It is basically a
                                  multi-pass clove hitch. The idea is that you would make the whole
                                  thing out of one piece of string. Turks head on either end with french
                                  hitching in the middle. Not as simple as whipping, but I think it is
                                  more secure.

                                  V/R
                                  Chris

                                  V/R
                                  Chris --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Galvin"
                                  <michaelgalvin@...> wrote:

                                  > Chris
                                  >
                                  > That Turk's Head looks cool, and do-able by an old scout who never
                                  > beyond Life. I didn't understand the French hitch suggestion. I
                                  see how I
                                  > could place a Turk's head at the ends of the pole, inboard of the
                                  paddle,
                                  > but where would the French hitch go.
                                  >
                                  > Mike Galvin

                                • Michael Galvin
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                                    Thanks for uploading the photos of your "Bolger Canoe." I love the colors
                                    you chose. I chose almost the same color inside the boat as you. I see you
                                    beefed up the gunwhales and extended them from stem to stern, and added what
                                    I think are footrests, or maybe blocks into which the seat is screwed.

                                    I did not build a kayak seat into my boat. A local kayak salesman said he
                                    thought it was nuts to paddle a kayak without a backrest and footrests.
                                    Somewhere, Bolger has written he thinks kayakers should not rest their backs
                                    on anything, instead, keeping their upper body loose, letting the boat rock
                                    from side to side underneath them. I can't remember his entire line of
                                    thinking. I respect his opinion so much, I'll try my boat first his way,
                                    without a seat, and maybe latter add a seat.

                                    When I launch tomorrow, I'll try to take some video so everyone can see how
                                    the boat paddles with an overweight amateur.

                                    By the way, I intend to take my Payson Pirogue, and my old Junebug, to the
                                    Lake Monroe Messabout near Bloomington, IN on Sept. 19-21. Hope to see some
                                    other Midwesterners there.

                                    Michael Galvin

                                    Muskegon, MI

                                    I just posted a couple of photos to an album titled "Bolger Canoe". I'm
                                    headed out boating
                                    this morning and will take a few pictures of the spray skirt. The skirt was
                                    easy to make and
                                    really works well. Happy launching on Sunday! Do you have your boat set up
                                    with a kayak type
                                    seat? Aaron

                                    > I would love to see a picture of your Pirogue and skirt. I've taken lots
                                    of
                                    > photos of the construction of my Pirogue and will organize them into a
                                    page
                                    > on my website, soon. The paint is curing on my boat as I type. I expect to
                                    > launch her Sunday.
                                    >
                                    > Michael Galvin

                                  • Ford Walton
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                                      Michael,

                                      The rings provide an edge for water to drip off, instead of running down the paddle shaft to your hands, so they don't need to be wide, but should be relatively high. I have used turkshead knots made of 1/8 or 3/16" nylon braid for drip rings, but a single strand of 1/4 " rope with the ends melted together would work as well. Turksheads used as bracelets are usually doubled or tripled; the line passed along the original knot two or thee times. This is not needed for drip rings. Google "how to tie turkshead" for better directions than I can give here for the knot, or look in almost any knot book.

                                      Good luck,
                                      Ford Walton

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 6, 2008
                                        I have no opinion on the back rest except as an old guy I need one after
                                        a while. You do have to tie your bottom to the boat firmly however. On
                                        my kayaks the seat and seat sides are a tight fit on my hips and make
                                        the boat part of my lower body. You start slipping around in waves and
                                        you will get in trouble quick. If you move around and can't brace your
                                        feet you can't put force on the paddle either. That all being said, I
                                        still think rowing is a better way to go, though that is a digression.

                                        HJ

                                        Michael Galvin wrote:
                                        > --snip--
                                        >
                                        > I did not build a kayak seat into my boat. A local kayak salesman said he
                                        > thought it was nuts to paddle a kayak without a backrest and footrests.
                                        > Somewhere, Bolger has written he thinks kayakers should not rest their backs
                                        > on anything, instead, keeping their upper body loose, letting the boat rock
                                        > from side to side underneath them. I can't remember his entire line of
                                        > thinking. I respect his opinion so much, I'll try my boat first his way,
                                        > without a seat, and maybe latter add a seat.
                                        >
                                        > When I launch tomorrow, I'll try to take some video so everyone can see how
                                        > the boat paddles with an overweight amateur.
                                        >
                                        > By the way, I intend to take my Payson Pirogue, and my old Junebug, to the
                                        > Lake Monroe Messabout near Bloomington, IN on Sept. 19-21. Hope to see some
                                        > other Midwesterners there.
                                        >

                                        > Michael Galvin
                                        >
                                        > Muskegon, MI

                                      • a&a julian
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 7, 2008
                                          Michael, your boat is a little beauty!
                                          For a cheap seat which is very comfortable see
                                          http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=798859&postcount=4
                                          'Rings' cut from a foam camping mat, glued with a cheap contact cement.
                                          Sit on the flat side, not the 'ringed' side.
                                          Can't remember whose kayak website I pinched the idea from.
                                          cheers
                                          Alan J
                                          South Australia

                                          > I did not build a kayak seat into my boat. A local kayak salesman said he
                                          > thought it was nuts to paddle a kayak without a backrest and footrests.
                                          > Somewhere, Bolger has written he thinks kayakers should not rest their
                                          > backs
                                          > on anything, instead, keeping their upper body loose, letting the boat
                                          > rock
                                          > from side to side underneath them. I can't remember his entire line of
                                          > thinking. I respect his opinion so much, I'll try my boat first his way,
                                          > without a seat, and maybe latter add a seat.
                                          >
                                          > Michael Galvin

                                        • nordski62
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                                            Michael,

                                            I've been out of town and just now getting back and uploading a picture of the spray skirt
                                            and seat. I'd like to see your Canoe but can't seem to find your web site. Aaron

                                            > I would love to see a picture of your Pirogue and skirt. I've taken lots of
                                            > photos of the construction of my Pirogue and will organize them into a page
                                            > on my website, soon. The paint is curing on my boat as I type. I expect to
                                            > launch her Sunday.
                                            >
                                            > Michael Galvin
                                          • Michael Galvin
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 10, 2008
                                              Aaron

                                              I did launch my Payson Pirogue last weekend, and I was very happy with her.
                                              I've taken lots of pictures of her construction and launch, and even took a
                                              short video of me paddling her for the first time. I haven't had time yet
                                              to assemble things into nice web page, but hope to within the next week. My
                                              web site is "mgalvin.com/boatbuilding." I've posted stuff there about
                                              building a Nymph and a Junebug, some pictures of Phil Bolger's old
                                              Resolution, a visit to Dynamite Payson's shop, and building oars for my
                                              Junebug. Nothing there about my Payson Pirogue, yet.

                                              I ended up using Turk's head knots on the paddles as drip rings. The Turk's
                                              heads were not hard to tie, do seem to work well, and look salty, to boot.

                                              After using the Pirogue, as Bolger suggested, without a seat and footrests,
                                              I'd like to try a seat to see if it adds comfort and efficiency. I wanted
                                              to try building a wooden seat according to plans in Mark Pettingill's book
                                              on building "Sweat Dream", a canoe he designed much like the Pirogue. I am
                                              running out of good weather here in Michigan, so I instead decided to order
                                              a commercially made seat from a company called "Surf to Summit," what they
                                              call a "Tech Molded Kayak Seat with Pack," for $88.

                                              Mike Galvin

                                              Muskegon, MI

                                              mgalvin.com/boatbuilding