Re: [bolger] Tennessee power

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
      Chuck Leinweber of Duckworks got an easy 10 Mph out of his Tennessee
      with a 10 HP Honda. The Yamaha high thrust might be geared to low. You
      might have to increase the pitch on the Yamaha prop, the speed of a
      Tennessee is higher than what it was designed for. The high thrust
      Yamaha outboard is aimed at the displacement sailboat market, I wouldn't
      use one on a Tennessee. My choice would be a standard 15 hp Nissan or
      Tohatsu short shaft.

      Check out Dick Welch's Tennessee on a 15 hp

      http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/Page.html

      HJ

      Sam Glasscock wrote:
      > I have read with interest the discussion of power/performance for the Tennessee, particularly concerning Esther Mae's 25 hp four-stroke. I was hoping to get high displacement speed (7kts) without straining a Yamaha high-thrust 9.9. Can anyone comment if this is realistic? How does she handle with a larger motor like the Honda 25 without the large high-thrust prop? Unfortunately, Yamaha has a high-thrust 9.9, a 50, and nothing in between. Thanks Sam

    • Mike French
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
        Sam:

        I had a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on a Bolger/Edey & Duff 29 foot
        Shearwater yawl (#7) which would do hull speed (6.5 knots +/-) at
        about half throttle and 12 miles per gallon. Loaded displacement was
        about 2900 lbs, beam 6.5 feet, flat bottom, large radius
        chines,leeboards up and rig standing. By the way this same engine and
        boat are extensively used and still performing well for the current
        owner 21 years later.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
          On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Mike French <barklakemike@...> wrote:
          > Sam:
          >
          > I had a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on a Bolger/Edey & Duff 29 foot
          > Shearwater yawl (#7)

          Cool boat, the Shearwater.

          I am also amazed that Bolger specifies a 9.9hp motor as minimum
          feasible power on my 31 foot long Topaz Spyder runabout.

          I am still plugging away on my Topaz build, and have opted for the
          high end power (90hp Honda) because I want to pull water-skiers.
        • Kenneth Grome
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
            A 9.9 HP will push 5000 pounds at displacement speed, that's
            probably why he spec'd such a small engine as a minimum.

            Sincerely,
            Ken Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            www.bagacayboatworks.com

            > I am also amazed that Bolger specifies a 9.9hp motor as
            > minimum feasible power on my 31 foot long Topaz Spyder
            > runabout.
          • mark hamill
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
              I recently found out that Yamaha outboards are made in China under the
              name of Parsun. They are cheaper and from the outside exactly the
              same.The longshaft are the same price as the short and can be purchased
              with remote controls. Don't know about the insides or warranty.
              www.worldoutboards.com

              " Hello Sir, the following is the pricing for a 9.9 and 15 electric
              start long shaft with remote controls.

              9.9FWL-ER $2659.00 CDN
              15FWL-ER $2999.00 CDN "