Re: Phil Bolger's Plywood 12 1/2 Sea Trials with Pic's

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "schwabgerard" <schwabgerard@...> wrote:

      > Hi everone, just wanted to give you a look at how she sails, take a
      > view on Photo-Bucket at address listed below.

      Yet another reason to flip the bozo bit on anyone who says PCB's boats
      are ugly. Thanks!

      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
    • Sam Glasscock
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
        I have read with interest the discussion of power/performance for the Tennessee, particularly concerning Esther Mae's 25 hp four-stroke.  I was hoping to get high displacement speed (7kts) without straining a Yamaha high-thrust 9.9.  Can anyone comment if this is realistic?  How does she handle with a larger motor like the Honda 25 without the large high-thrust prop?  Unfortunately, Yamaha has a high-thrust 9.9, a 50, and nothing in between.  Thanks  Sam

      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
          Chuck Leinweber of Duckworks got an easy 10 Mph out of his Tennessee
          with a 10 HP Honda. The Yamaha high thrust might be geared to low. You
          might have to increase the pitch on the Yamaha prop, the speed of a
          Tennessee is higher than what it was designed for. The high thrust
          Yamaha outboard is aimed at the displacement sailboat market, I wouldn't
          use one on a Tennessee. My choice would be a standard 15 hp Nissan or
          Tohatsu short shaft.

          Check out Dick Welch's Tennessee on a 15 hp

          http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/Page.html

          HJ

          Sam Glasscock wrote:
          > I have read with interest the discussion of power/performance for the Tennessee, particularly concerning Esther Mae's 25 hp four-stroke. I was hoping to get high displacement speed (7kts) without straining a Yamaha high-thrust 9.9. Can anyone comment if this is realistic? How does she handle with a larger motor like the Honda 25 without the large high-thrust prop? Unfortunately, Yamaha has a high-thrust 9.9, a 50, and nothing in between. Thanks Sam

        • Mike French
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
            Sam:

            I had a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on a Bolger/Edey & Duff 29 foot
            Shearwater yawl (#7) which would do hull speed (6.5 knots +/-) at
            about half throttle and 12 miles per gallon. Loaded displacement was
            about 2900 lbs, beam 6.5 feet, flat bottom, large radius
            chines,leeboards up and rig standing. By the way this same engine and
            boat are extensively used and still performing well for the current
            owner 21 years later.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
              On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Mike French <barklakemike@...> wrote:
              > Sam:
              >
              > I had a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on a Bolger/Edey & Duff 29 foot
              > Shearwater yawl (#7)

              Cool boat, the Shearwater.

              I am also amazed that Bolger specifies a 9.9hp motor as minimum
              feasible power on my 31 foot long Topaz Spyder runabout.

              I am still plugging away on my Topaz build, and have opted for the
              high end power (90hp Honda) because I want to pull water-skiers.
            • Kenneth Grome
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
                A 9.9 HP will push 5000 pounds at displacement speed, that's
                probably why he spec'd such a small engine as a minimum.

                Sincerely,
                Ken Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com

                > I am also amazed that Bolger specifies a 9.9hp motor as
                > minimum feasible power on my 31 foot long Topaz Spyder
                > runabout.
              • mark hamill
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
                  I recently found out that Yamaha outboards are made in China under the
                  name of Parsun. They are cheaper and from the outside exactly the
                  same.The longshaft are the same price as the short and can be purchased
                  with remote controls. Don't know about the insides or warranty.
                  www.worldoutboards.com

                  " Hello Sir, the following is the pricing for a 9.9 and 15 electric
                  start long shaft with remote controls.

                  9.9FWL-ER $2659.00 CDN
                  15FWL-ER $2999.00 CDN "