Re: Phil Bolger's Plywood 12 1/2 Sea Trials with Pic's

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
      > Hi everone, just wanted to give you a look at how she sails,...

      Great pictures.

      The forte of the 12 1/2 is the ability to handle strong wind and big
      wave with confidence. It looks like that capability has been preserved.

      IIRC, Bolger said in his original writeup that he increased the rake
      of the ends which would make the boat a bit longer and the transom a
      bit narrower. It looks that way in the pictures. He also made it a tad
      lower-sided but increased the cockpit coaming. These changes are all a
      few inches one way or the other and it's a lesson in the subtlety
      involved in getting a really pretty boat that serves well.
    • rocketgeek@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
        Gorgeous boat -- great motivation to get off my duff. :)

        It sounds and looks like a real gem -- I suspect there will be quite a
        few other Bolger 12-1/2s inspired by your example hitting the water in
        the next few years.

        On 9/3/08, pvanderwaart <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:
        >> Hi everone, just wanted to give you a look at how she sails,...
        >
        > Great pictures.
        >
        > The forte of the 12 1/2 is the ability to handle strong wind and big
        > wave with confidence. It looks like that capability has been preserved.
        >
        > IIRC, Bolger said in his original writeup that he increased the rake
        > of the ends which would make the boat a bit longer and the transom a
        > bit narrower. It looks that way in the pictures. He also made it a tad
        > lower-sided but increased the cockpit coaming. These changes are all a
        > few inches one way or the other and it's a lesson in the subtlety
        > involved in getting a really pretty boat that serves well.
        >

        > ------------------------------------

        > horses
        > (978) 282-1349
        > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
        > Groups Links

      • nsimms
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "schwabgerard" <schwabgerard@...> wrote:

          > Hi everone, just wanted to give you a look at how she sails, take a
          > view on Photo-Bucket at address listed below. Enjoy slideshow! The
          > address may be too long for Yahoo web browser to highlight 2nd line of
          > address, so to see slideshow highlight BOTH lines and copy and paste
          > into web browser's address box!
          >
          > http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/gmschwab/Plywood125-sea%
          > 20trials/

          Lovely, lovely...

          Wish I could talk my brother into a build of one of these for his
          place on Lake George, NY (keelboat heaven)...

          Too deep for my current thin water boating venue (Carolina sounds) :(.

          Neil
        • Susan Davis
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "schwabgerard" <schwabgerard@...> wrote:

            > Hi everone, just wanted to give you a look at how she sails, take a
            > view on Photo-Bucket at address listed below.

            Yet another reason to flip the bozo bit on anyone who says PCB's boats
            are ugly. Thanks!

            --
            Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
          • Sam Glasscock
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
              I have read with interest the discussion of power/performance for the Tennessee, particularly concerning Esther Mae's 25 hp four-stroke.  I was hoping to get high displacement speed (7kts) without straining a Yamaha high-thrust 9.9.  Can anyone comment if this is realistic?  How does she handle with a larger motor like the Honda 25 without the large high-thrust prop?  Unfortunately, Yamaha has a high-thrust 9.9, a 50, and nothing in between.  Thanks  Sam

            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
                Chuck Leinweber of Duckworks got an easy 10 Mph out of his Tennessee
                with a 10 HP Honda. The Yamaha high thrust might be geared to low. You
                might have to increase the pitch on the Yamaha prop, the speed of a
                Tennessee is higher than what it was designed for. The high thrust
                Yamaha outboard is aimed at the displacement sailboat market, I wouldn't
                use one on a Tennessee. My choice would be a standard 15 hp Nissan or
                Tohatsu short shaft.

                Check out Dick Welch's Tennessee on a 15 hp

                http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/Page.html

                HJ

                Sam Glasscock wrote:
                > I have read with interest the discussion of power/performance for the Tennessee, particularly concerning Esther Mae's 25 hp four-stroke. I was hoping to get high displacement speed (7kts) without straining a Yamaha high-thrust 9.9. Can anyone comment if this is realistic? How does she handle with a larger motor like the Honda 25 without the large high-thrust prop? Unfortunately, Yamaha has a high-thrust 9.9, a 50, and nothing in between. Thanks Sam

              • Mike French
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
                  Sam:

                  I had a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on a Bolger/Edey & Duff 29 foot
                  Shearwater yawl (#7) which would do hull speed (6.5 knots +/-) at
                  about half throttle and 12 miles per gallon. Loaded displacement was
                  about 2900 lbs, beam 6.5 feet, flat bottom, large radius
                  chines,leeboards up and rig standing. By the way this same engine and
                  boat are extensively used and still performing well for the current
                  owner 21 years later.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
                    On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Mike French <barklakemike@...> wrote:
                    > Sam:
                    >
                    > I had a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on a Bolger/Edey & Duff 29 foot
                    > Shearwater yawl (#7)

                    Cool boat, the Shearwater.

                    I am also amazed that Bolger specifies a 9.9hp motor as minimum
                    feasible power on my 31 foot long Topaz Spyder runabout.

                    I am still plugging away on my Topaz build, and have opted for the
                    high end power (90hp Honda) because I want to pull water-skiers.
                  • Kenneth Grome
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
                      A 9.9 HP will push 5000 pounds at displacement speed, that's
                      probably why he spec'd such a small engine as a minimum.

                      Sincerely,
                      Ken Grome
                      Bagacay Boatworks
                      www.bagacayboatworks.com

                      > I am also amazed that Bolger specifies a 9.9hp motor as
                      > minimum feasible power on my 31 foot long Topaz Spyder
                      > runabout.
                    • mark hamill
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
                        I recently found out that Yamaha outboards are made in China under the
                        name of Parsun. They are cheaper and from the outside exactly the
                        same.The longshaft are the same price as the short and can be purchased
                        with remote controls. Don't know about the insides or warranty.
                        www.worldoutboards.com

                        " Hello Sir, the following is the pricing for a 9.9 and 15 electric
                        start long shaft with remote controls.

                        9.9FWL-ER $2659.00 CDN
                        15FWL-ER $2999.00 CDN "