Re: I use strip building with canoes and small row boats

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 23, 2008
      Bill, Bruce, & all . . .
      Not to be pedantic, but here is what I learned from experience & research .
      . .

      'Wood Flour' is my filler-of-choice for most filleting work. However I have
      just about 'everything' on the shelf - 'Horses for Courses' as the Limey's
      say.

      The WF is so cheap - and now almost universally available - it's not worth
      the effort to empty dust collectors & sift the contents. {However I DO keep
      a bucket of course stuff from the table saw for 'stuffing' BIG HOLES} Oddly
      enough WF is also a 'thixotropic material. That being said, I still add a
      bit of fumed silica when I want a 'stiff' mixture. They are BOTH what I term
      a 'STRUCTURAL' filler.

      When it comes to 'fairing' & 'sandability' - I turn to what I call
      'COSMETIC' fillers. Talc, 'Micro-Balloons, 'Q-Cell', & plastic fibers {the
      MOST 'sandable'} fall into this category. If these will be the 'last coat'
      on a hull project, I usually make them the 'next-to-last' coat . . . by
      giving a 'skim coat' of the MUCH harder fumed silica, followed by at least
      one 'seal coat' of unthickened epoxy

      {Some time ago I wrote a Column for 'Duckworks Magazine' . . . one month it
      was all about the various 'Fillers' for epoxy. For more detail - look it up}

      Regards & Good Luck,
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop

      2i. Re: I use strip building with canoes and small row boats
      Posted by: "William Page" billybouy2@... billybouy2

      I've found sanding dust from the collecting bags on orbital and beltsanders
      to be consistently fine and uniform. Plus, the way I work, with unlimited
      availability!

      --- On Fri, 8/22/08, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
      {snip}
      In my opinion, fumed silica (Cab-o-sil) is only worthwhile when you need a
      'no-sag' epoxy additive and never makes sense as a epoxy filler. {snip}

      The problem with using sawdust as a filler for improving sand-ability, is
      that home made sawdust has an uneven texture. {snip}

      My favorite by far for sand-ablity is the 'micro-balloon' powder. . .
      .because Cab-o-sil makes epoxy much harder. {snip}