Re: Garvey Daysailer isometric

  • daschultz2000
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 5, 2008
      Sure enough.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Mouradian" <r_mouradian@...> wrote:

      > Well, I guess the Dean McClure reference may explain the similarity
      with Michalak's Deansbox.

    • gregory_west2001
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 6, 2008
        I received a fax back from Phil Bolger this morning on the Garvey
        Daysailer, and he said that there had been at the time no interest in
        the boat so he had not prepared working plans, although, he said, "I
        thought it had some merit."

        He also said that the sketch was fairly detailed, that there was no
        equivalent boat in his archives, and that he was unable to take on new
        work at the present.

        He thought it may have appeared in the old Small Boat Journal. I have
        ordered the sketch from MAIB, but if anyone has it readily available in
        pdf, I would like to get a copy. Thanks.

        > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2729035758/
        >
        > ..shows an isometric study of another much ignored Bolger boat, the 18
        > foot Garvey Daysailer, an un-numbered sketch I think, but there is
        > enough detail to to build. It looks really well suited as a stable
        > trailer day sailer. Ref: Dec15-1994 MAIB

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6, 2008
          Gregory,

          thanks for the update on this sailer from PCB. What a shame there's
          no plan :(

          I've been thinking of a Jinni with a substituted garvey mod up front
          to add power, and dry. I wonder what PCB would think?

          Interesting Bolger design elements for a garveylicious boat.

          Called a garvey - maybe got the bow - but more like some scows of
          decades later - what, litle/no flare??.

          Close to a 2.5/1 L/B, certainly meant for sailing, planing, too wide
          and oh-so-much skeg surface for easy rowing, no allowance for an
          outboard if needed to confirm.

          Big Bolger preferred sailplan.

          Lots of sprawling space, typical for Bolger, not always so of others,
          that not just daysailer in name alone.

          Hatched deck openings - draining deck - this one to be left on Dean's
          mooring?? - casual daysailer like?? - maybe more so with Cartoon 40
          type and the larger garveys gaff rig??

          Do hatch covers and wales cut into legs and buttocks etc, and so
          thick cushions required for bigger crews down on the deck, and hiking
          pants for lighter and solo??

          Centreboard must have been at Dean's request??

          Maybe do this deck and hatch thing on Cold Water Sailboard?

          Graeme

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gregory_west2001" <gwest@...> wrote:

          > I received a fax back from Phil Bolger this morning on the Garvey
          > Daysailer,
        • c o'donnell
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7, 2008
            The Cheap Pages have an 18-ft garvey from ca 1920 from the Rudder,
            written up by Gidge Gandy (no, I'm not making that name up).

            Garveys aren't hard to design. Work from Bolger's sketch. The rig is
            basically an AS-19 or Jinni.

            On Aug 7, 2008, at 2:31 AM, graeme19121984 wrote:

            > Gregory,
            >
            > thanks for the update on this sailer from PCB. What a shame there's
            > no plan :(
            >
            > I've been thinking of a Jinni with a substituted garvey mod up front
            > to add power, and dry. I wonder what PCB would think?
            >
            > Interesting Bolger design elements for a garveylicious boat.
            >
            > Called a garvey - maybe got the bow - but more like some scows of
            > decades later - what, litle/no flare??.
            >
            > Close to a 2.5/1 L/B, certainly meant for sailing, planing, too wide
            > and oh-so-much skeg surface for easy rowing, no allowance for an
            > outboard if needed to confirm.
            >
            > Big Bolger preferred sailplan.
            >
            > Lots of sprawling space, typical for Bolger, not always so of others,
            > that not just daysailer in name alone.
            >
            > Hatched deck openings - draining deck - this one to be left on Dean's
            > mooring?? - casual daysailer like?? - maybe more so with Cartoon 40
            > type and the larger garveys gaff rig??
            >
            > Do hatch covers and wales cut into legs and buttocks etc, and so
            > thick cushions required for bigger crews down on the deck, and hiking
            > pants for lighter and solo??
            >
            > Centreboard must have been at Dean's request??
            >
            > Maybe do this deck and hatch thing on Cold Water Sailboard?
            >
            > Graeme
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gregory_west2001" <gwest@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I received a fax back from Phil Bolger this morning on the Garvey
            > > Daysailer,

            === craig o'donnell
            dadadata@...
            Box 232 Betterton Md 21610

          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 7, 2008
              The Caravelle 16 isn't a garvey - more of a sampan, but it's a good,
              proven boat with a square front:
              http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=CV16&cat=12

              There was a garvey design by Thomas Jones. I put the plans in the
              files of the boatdesign Yahoo group about a month ago.

              And of course, you may find plans in Chapelle.

              You might try to find the plans for an old one-design named the Duster
              which was popular in NJ about 50 years ago.

              Finally, if you ask around all the maritime museums, you may find one
              with a plan in their collection. Mystic Seaport might have just about
              anything, but I would also try the Independence Seaport Museum in
              Philly since they have a lot of NJ and Delaware Bay boats.
            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 8, 2008
                Great name - ya couldn't make it up, you'd have to grow up with it!
                http://www.friend.ly.net/users/dadadata/short/gandy.html

                [Gidge is here too: as #7796-- SANDSPUR, A GARVEY by Gidge Gandy. A
                very traditional shape but still good today
                http://dngoodchild.com/divide_for_sail_boats.htm (there's also #5595
                SNORKY a 14-ft Cat-Rigged Scow, and Chapelle's Mule)]

                Gidge's club clew sail gives a bit more power low down, I know, but
                I'm not sure I like being clubbed. Then, how is that spreet club
                hitched on? It seems to me that the spreet sheet hitch shown here
                http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/scow/tubby2.gif just won't
                work. I tried tying it a few ways and it seems whoever drew that
                detail either couldn't draw or never tied it! There probably should
                be an elegant little hitch for this application.

                Graeme

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 9, 2008
                  That's the same boat. It appeared in the Rudder and also in a Rudder
                  Plan Book.