Re: [bolger] non-planing cruising boat for 4?

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2008
      The Tennessee fills most of what you want here. It has been reported at
      10mph on 10 hp. I love this picture of one overpowered with 15 hp

      http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/tenn4.jpg

      For more

      http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/Page.html

      HJ

      bill shamblin wrote:
      > a friend and i are thinking of a long circular cruise by powerboat
      > along icw as well as rivers/canals inland. im wondering if any
      > commercial boat company makes the sort of non-planing efficient
      > cruiser that pb would design instead of the monster engine planing gas
      > hogs i see everywhere???
      >
      > it seems pb said the main points were keeping both ends out of the
      > water and not letting her be too wide? im thinking a light 30'x6'
      > might make 5 knots with dual 10 hp completely redundant system outboards?
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > bill in nc

    • Kristine Bennett
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2008
        About the only one that would do that would be a custom boat shop... Look around and find a old sailboat that has had all the sailing gear stripped off it... Craigslist is a good place to find like that as well.

         Krissie

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
          If you are looking for Bolger designs you might look at Tennessee or Idaho.  The Topaz is rated for 50 hp for planing purposes, but PB says she will handle well at displacement speeds with a ten horse high-thrust outboard, and I know from experience that she makes a great ICW cruiser.  I doubt if you will find a commercially-built boat to fill these requirements, although one of the electric boat hulls, built for displacement, could be modified.  It would probably be much cheaper to hire someone to build you a Tennessee or Topaz, if you are not inclined to build your own.  Sounds like a great trip--good luck.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
            If you are building, you might want to consider these plans by Michael
            Storer - developments of the Tennessee type.
            http://www.storerboatplans.com/TC35/TC35.html
            http://www.storerboatplans.com/Solarboat/solarboat.html
            If you are "buying off the shelf" or second-hand, you'll probably (in this
            day & age) be looking at an older
            cruiser, pre-plastic-fantastics.
            cheers
            Alan J.

            From: bill shamblin <bshamblin2002@...>

            a friend and i are thinking of a long circular cruise by powerboat
            along icw as well as rivers/canals inland. im wondering if any
            commercial boat company makes the sort of non-planing efficient
            cruiser that pb would design instead of the monster engine planing gas
            hogs i see everywhere?? ?

            it seems pb said the main points were keeping both ends out of the
            water and not letting her be too wide? im thinking a light 30'x6'
            might make 5 knots with dual 10 hp completely redundant system outboards?

            thanks,

            bill in nc

            ------------------------------------

            Bolger rules!!!
            - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
            horses
            (978) 282-1349
            - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
            Groups Links
          • Ben
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
              Bill

              Hey Bill.I am looking at building a boat along the same lines.I am on
              the NC/SC state line.I will probably be in some of the same ICW
              areas.I'm looking to day trip with 6 and a weekender with 2 without
              having to touch land for supplies.I am looking at some other non
              Bolger designs but I'll leave that out seeing how this is a Bolger
              based site.I prefer to stick with a Bolger design or a spin off for
              ease of building.Good luck.

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:

              > If you are looking for Bolger designs you might look at Tennessee or
              Idaho.  The Topaz is rated for 50 hp for planing purposes, but PB says
              she will handle well at displacement speeds with a ten horse
              high-thrust outboard, and I know from experience that she makes a
              great ICW cruiser.  I doubt if you will find a commercially-built boat
              to fill these requirements, although one of the electric boat hulls,
              built for displacement, could be modified.  It would probably be much
              cheaper to hire someone to build you a Tennessee or Topaz, if you are
              not inclined to build your own.  Sounds like a great trip--good luck.

            • bill shamblin
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                thanks, everyone. these are some good ideas.

                bill

                > The Tennessee fills most of what you want here. It has been reported at
                > 10mph on 10 hp. I love this picture of one overpowered with 15 hp
                >
                > http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/tenn4.jpg
                >
                > For more
                >
                > http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/Page.html
                >
                > HJ
                >
                > bill shamblin wrote:
                > > a friend and i are thinking of a long circular cruise by powerboat
                > > along icw as well as rivers/canals inland. im wondering if any
                > > commercial boat company makes the sort of non-planing efficient
                > > cruiser that pb would design instead of the monster engine planing gas
                > > hogs i see everywhere???
                > >
                > > it seems pb said the main points were keeping both ends out of the
                > > water and not letting her be too wide? im thinking a light 30'x6'
                > > might make 5 knots with dual 10 hp completely redundant system
                outboards?

                > > thanks,
                > >
                > > bill in nc
                > >

                > > ------------------------------------
                > >
                > > Bolger rules!!!
                > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging
                dead horses
                > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred'
                posts
                > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
                01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • daschultz2000
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                  For 4? IMO Tennesee would be tight for 4, and Idaho is a picnic boat,
                  and even with a Birdwatcher slot in the top, just not suitable for 4.

                  Dakota could be built w' a comfortable layout for 4 if planned that
                  way from the start. Maybe a house like Dakota/Topaz could be scarfed
                  onto the light Tennesee hull.

                  I like the idea of a pair of 10hp motors with independent fuel tanks.
                  Reliability/redundancy, extreme economy (single motor at times), and
                  an edge in maneuverability. Bravo!

                  The other good advice is to take a big power cruiser, and gut it of
                  the big power, skegs, props, etc. Would never be as efficient as a
                  converted sailboat, or a displacement hull, but wouldn't be bad for a
                  single season.

                  Don