non-planing cruising boat for 4?

  • bill shamblin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2008
      a friend and i are thinking of a long circular cruise by powerboat
      along icw as well as rivers/canals inland. im wondering if any
      commercial boat company makes the sort of non-planing efficient
      cruiser that pb would design instead of the monster engine planing gas
      hogs i see everywhere???

      it seems pb said the main points were keeping both ends out of the
      water and not letting her be too wide? im thinking a light 30'x6'
      might make 5 knots with dual 10 hp completely redundant system outboards?

      thanks,

      bill in nc
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2008
        The Tennessee fills most of what you want here. It has been reported at
        10mph on 10 hp. I love this picture of one overpowered with 15 hp

        http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/tenn4.jpg

        For more

        http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/Page.html

        HJ

        bill shamblin wrote:
        > a friend and i are thinking of a long circular cruise by powerboat
        > along icw as well as rivers/canals inland. im wondering if any
        > commercial boat company makes the sort of non-planing efficient
        > cruiser that pb would design instead of the monster engine planing gas
        > hogs i see everywhere???
        >
        > it seems pb said the main points were keeping both ends out of the
        > water and not letting her be too wide? im thinking a light 30'x6'
        > might make 5 knots with dual 10 hp completely redundant system outboards?
        >
        > thanks,
        >
        > bill in nc

      • Kristine Bennett
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2008
          About the only one that would do that would be a custom boat shop... Look around and find a old sailboat that has had all the sailing gear stripped off it... Craigslist is a good place to find like that as well.

           Krissie

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
            If you are looking for Bolger designs you might look at Tennessee or Idaho.  The Topaz is rated for 50 hp for planing purposes, but PB says she will handle well at displacement speeds with a ten horse high-thrust outboard, and I know from experience that she makes a great ICW cruiser.  I doubt if you will find a commercially-built boat to fill these requirements, although one of the electric boat hulls, built for displacement, could be modified.  It would probably be much cheaper to hire someone to build you a Tennessee or Topaz, if you are not inclined to build your own.  Sounds like a great trip--good luck.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
              If you are building, you might want to consider these plans by Michael
              Storer - developments of the Tennessee type.
              http://www.storerboatplans.com/TC35/TC35.html
              http://www.storerboatplans.com/Solarboat/solarboat.html
              If you are "buying off the shelf" or second-hand, you'll probably (in this
              day & age) be looking at an older
              cruiser, pre-plastic-fantastics.
              cheers
              Alan J.

              From: bill shamblin <bshamblin2002@...>

              a friend and i are thinking of a long circular cruise by powerboat
              along icw as well as rivers/canals inland. im wondering if any
              commercial boat company makes the sort of non-planing efficient
              cruiser that pb would design instead of the monster engine planing gas
              hogs i see everywhere?? ?

              it seems pb said the main points were keeping both ends out of the
              water and not letting her be too wide? im thinking a light 30'x6'
              might make 5 knots with dual 10 hp completely redundant system outboards?

              thanks,

              bill in nc

              ------------------------------------

              Bolger rules!!!
              - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
              horses
              (978) 282-1349
              - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
              Groups Links
            • Ben
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
                Bill

                Hey Bill.I am looking at building a boat along the same lines.I am on
                the NC/SC state line.I will probably be in some of the same ICW
                areas.I'm looking to day trip with 6 and a weekender with 2 without
                having to touch land for supplies.I am looking at some other non
                Bolger designs but I'll leave that out seeing how this is a Bolger
                based site.I prefer to stick with a Bolger design or a spin off for
                ease of building.Good luck.

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:

                > If you are looking for Bolger designs you might look at Tennessee or
                Idaho.  The Topaz is rated for 50 hp for planing purposes, but PB says
                she will handle well at displacement speeds with a ten horse
                high-thrust outboard, and I know from experience that she makes a
                great ICW cruiser.  I doubt if you will find a commercially-built boat
                to fill these requirements, although one of the electric boat hulls,
                built for displacement, could be modified.  It would probably be much
                cheaper to hire someone to build you a Tennessee or Topaz, if you are
                not inclined to build your own.  Sounds like a great trip--good luck.

              • bill shamblin
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                  thanks, everyone. these are some good ideas.

                  bill

                  > The Tennessee fills most of what you want here. It has been reported at
                  > 10mph on 10 hp. I love this picture of one overpowered with 15 hp
                  >
                  > http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/tenn4.jpg
                  >
                  > For more
                  >
                  > http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/Page.html
                  >
                  > HJ
                  >
                  > bill shamblin wrote:
                  > > a friend and i are thinking of a long circular cruise by powerboat
                  > > along icw as well as rivers/canals inland. im wondering if any
                  > > commercial boat company makes the sort of non-planing efficient
                  > > cruiser that pb would design instead of the monster engine planing gas
                  > > hogs i see everywhere???
                  > >
                  > > it seems pb said the main points were keeping both ends out of the
                  > > water and not letting her be too wide? im thinking a light 30'x6'
                  > > might make 5 knots with dual 10 hp completely redundant system
                  outboards?

                  > > thanks,
                  > >
                  > > bill in nc
                  > >

                  > > ------------------------------------
                  > >
                  > > Bolger rules!!!
                  > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging
                  dead horses
                  > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred'
                  posts
                  > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
                  01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • daschultz2000
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                    For 4? IMO Tennesee would be tight for 4, and Idaho is a picnic boat,
                    and even with a Birdwatcher slot in the top, just not suitable for 4.

                    Dakota could be built w' a comfortable layout for 4 if planned that
                    way from the start. Maybe a house like Dakota/Topaz could be scarfed
                    onto the light Tennesee hull.

                    I like the idea of a pair of 10hp motors with independent fuel tanks.
                    Reliability/redundancy, extreme economy (single motor at times), and
                    an edge in maneuverability. Bravo!

                    The other good advice is to take a big power cruiser, and gut it of
                    the big power, skegs, props, etc. Would never be as efficient as a
                    converted sailboat, or a displacement hull, but wouldn't be bad for a
                    single season.

                    Don