Garvey Daysailer isometric

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
      http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2729035758/

      ..shows an isometric study of another much ignored Bolger boat, the 18
      foot Garvey Daysailer, an un-numbered sketch I think, but there is
      enough detail to to build. It looks really well suited as a stable
      trailer day sailer. Ref: Dec15-1994 MAIB
    • Gene Tehansky
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
        Bruce,
        That boat has PDRacer replacement written all over it!

        Gene T.

        On 3 Aug, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

        > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2729035758/
        >
        > ..shows an isometric study of another much ignored Bolger boat, the 18
        > foot Garvey Daysailer, an un-numbered sketch I think, but there is
        > enough detail to to build. It looks really well suited as a stable
        > trailer day sailer. Ref: Dec15-1994 MAIB

      • daschultz2000
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
          Interesting how so often there are similar Michalak designs. In this
          case, the Michalak design is DeansBox. About 3' shorter.

          I find it curious that both designs carry mizzens, though I think the
          Michalak boat would get along fine without it.

          http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/deansbox/index.htm

          Don Schultz
        • c o'donnell
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
            Bruce, what's the accompanying text say about the reason for the design?

            On Aug 3, 2008, at 1:41 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

            > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2729035758/
            >
            > ..shows an isometric study of another much ignored Bolger boat, the 18
            > foot Garvey Daysailer, an un-numbered sketch I think, but there is
            > enough detail to to build. It looks really well suited as a stable
            > trailer day sailer. Ref: Dec15-1994 MAIB

            === craig o'donnell
            dadadata@...
            Box 232 Betterton Md 21610

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
              On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM, c o'donnell <dadadata@...> wrote:
              > Bruce, what's the accompanying text say about the reason for the design?

              PCB: "Dean McClure asked me to sketch a garvey for Florida use.
              ...The wide bow of the garvey makes space and stability in a short and
              light hull; this would make a fast and handy boat if there wasn't too
              steep a chop, and even in rough water she would be a good sailer if
              she was sailed heeled at the right angle. ... She would have a
              watertight deck with hatches forming footwells. ... With the hatches
              open, people can site comfortably with their feet down and foot-high
              protection. With the hatch covers in place she will shed rain. The
              space under the deck is all accessible and usually dry."
            • c o'donnell
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 4, 2008
                Yeah, sort of a big Optimist for big folks <chuckle>

                On Aug 3, 2008, at 10:54 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                > On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM, c o'donnell
                > <dadadata@...> wrote:
                > > Bruce, what's the accompanying text say about the reason for the
                > design?
                >
                > PCB: "Dean McClure asked me to sketch a garvey for Florida use.
                > ...The wide bow of the garvey makes space and stability in a short and
                > light hull; this would make a fast and handy boat if there wasn't too
                > steep a chop, and even in rough water she would be a good sailer if
                > she was sailed heeled at the right angle. ... She would have a
                > watertight deck with hatches forming footwells. ... With the hatches
                > open, people can site comfortably with their feet down and foot-high
                > protection. With the hatch covers in place she will shed rain. The
                > space under the deck is all accessible and usually dry."

                === craig o'donnell
                dadadata@...
                Box 232 Betterton Md 21610

              • Rob Mouradian
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 4, 2008

                  Well, I guess the Dean McClure reference may explain the similarity
                  with Michalak's Deansbox.

                  > On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM, c o'donnell <dadadata@...> wrote:
                  > > Bruce, what's the accompanying text say about the reason for the
                  design?

                  > PCB: "Dean McClure asked me to sketch a garvey for Florida use.
                  > ...The wide bow of the garvey makes space and stability in a short and
                  > light hull; this would make a fast and handy boat if there wasn't too
                  > steep a chop, and even in rough water she would be a good sailer if
                  > she was sailed heeled at the right angle. ... She would have a
                  > watertight deck with hatches forming footwells. ... With the hatches
                  > open, people can site comfortably with their feet down and foot-high
                  > protection. With the hatch covers in place she will shed rain. The
                  > space under the deck is all accessible and usually dry."

                • gregory_west2001
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 4, 2008
                    I sent a fax this morning to Phil Bolger asking if plans were ever
                    drawn for the boat. I am interested in building the boat and will let
                    the group know what I hear from Phil.

                    Does anyone know if one was build and if pictures are posted anywhere?
                    I could not find any from a Google search.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 5, 2008
                      Sure enough.

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Mouradian" <r_mouradian@...> wrote:

                      > Well, I guess the Dean McClure reference may explain the similarity
                      with Michalak's Deansbox.

                    • gregory_west2001
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 6, 2008
                        I received a fax back from Phil Bolger this morning on the Garvey
                        Daysailer, and he said that there had been at the time no interest in
                        the boat so he had not prepared working plans, although, he said, "I
                        thought it had some merit."

                        He also said that the sketch was fairly detailed, that there was no
                        equivalent boat in his archives, and that he was unable to take on new
                        work at the present.

                        He thought it may have appeared in the old Small Boat Journal. I have
                        ordered the sketch from MAIB, but if anyone has it readily available in
                        pdf, I would like to get a copy. Thanks.

                        > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2729035758/
                        >
                        > ..shows an isometric study of another much ignored Bolger boat, the 18
                        > foot Garvey Daysailer, an un-numbered sketch I think, but there is
                        > enough detail to to build. It looks really well suited as a stable
                        > trailer day sailer. Ref: Dec15-1994 MAIB

                      • graeme19121984
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 6, 2008
                          Gregory,

                          thanks for the update on this sailer from PCB. What a shame there's
                          no plan :(

                          I've been thinking of a Jinni with a substituted garvey mod up front
                          to add power, and dry. I wonder what PCB would think?

                          Interesting Bolger design elements for a garveylicious boat.

                          Called a garvey - maybe got the bow - but more like some scows of
                          decades later - what, litle/no flare??.

                          Close to a 2.5/1 L/B, certainly meant for sailing, planing, too wide
                          and oh-so-much skeg surface for easy rowing, no allowance for an
                          outboard if needed to confirm.

                          Big Bolger preferred sailplan.

                          Lots of sprawling space, typical for Bolger, not always so of others,
                          that not just daysailer in name alone.

                          Hatched deck openings - draining deck - this one to be left on Dean's
                          mooring?? - casual daysailer like?? - maybe more so with Cartoon 40
                          type and the larger garveys gaff rig??

                          Do hatch covers and wales cut into legs and buttocks etc, and so
                          thick cushions required for bigger crews down on the deck, and hiking
                          pants for lighter and solo??

                          Centreboard must have been at Dean's request??

                          Maybe do this deck and hatch thing on Cold Water Sailboard?

                          Graeme

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gregory_west2001" <gwest@...> wrote:

                          > I received a fax back from Phil Bolger this morning on the Garvey
                          > Daysailer,
                        • c o'donnell
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 7, 2008
                            The Cheap Pages have an 18-ft garvey from ca 1920 from the Rudder,
                            written up by Gidge Gandy (no, I'm not making that name up).

                            Garveys aren't hard to design. Work from Bolger's sketch. The rig is
                            basically an AS-19 or Jinni.

                            On Aug 7, 2008, at 2:31 AM, graeme19121984 wrote:

                            > Gregory,
                            >
                            > thanks for the update on this sailer from PCB. What a shame there's
                            > no plan :(
                            >
                            > I've been thinking of a Jinni with a substituted garvey mod up front
                            > to add power, and dry. I wonder what PCB would think?
                            >
                            > Interesting Bolger design elements for a garveylicious boat.
                            >
                            > Called a garvey - maybe got the bow - but more like some scows of
                            > decades later - what, litle/no flare??.
                            >
                            > Close to a 2.5/1 L/B, certainly meant for sailing, planing, too wide
                            > and oh-so-much skeg surface for easy rowing, no allowance for an
                            > outboard if needed to confirm.
                            >
                            > Big Bolger preferred sailplan.
                            >
                            > Lots of sprawling space, typical for Bolger, not always so of others,
                            > that not just daysailer in name alone.
                            >
                            > Hatched deck openings - draining deck - this one to be left on Dean's
                            > mooring?? - casual daysailer like?? - maybe more so with Cartoon 40
                            > type and the larger garveys gaff rig??
                            >
                            > Do hatch covers and wales cut into legs and buttocks etc, and so
                            > thick cushions required for bigger crews down on the deck, and hiking
                            > pants for lighter and solo??
                            >
                            > Centreboard must have been at Dean's request??
                            >
                            > Maybe do this deck and hatch thing on Cold Water Sailboard?
                            >
                            > Graeme
                            >
                            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gregory_west2001" <gwest@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I received a fax back from Phil Bolger this morning on the Garvey
                            > > Daysailer,

                            === craig o'donnell
                            dadadata@...
                            Box 232 Betterton Md 21610

                          • pvanderwaart
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 7, 2008
                              The Caravelle 16 isn't a garvey - more of a sampan, but it's a good,
                              proven boat with a square front:
                              http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=CV16&cat=12

                              There was a garvey design by Thomas Jones. I put the plans in the
                              files of the boatdesign Yahoo group about a month ago.

                              And of course, you may find plans in Chapelle.

                              You might try to find the plans for an old one-design named the Duster
                              which was popular in NJ about 50 years ago.

                              Finally, if you ask around all the maritime museums, you may find one
                              with a plan in their collection. Mystic Seaport might have just about
                              anything, but I would also try the Independence Seaport Museum in
                              Philly since they have a lot of NJ and Delaware Bay boats.
                            • graeme19121984
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 8, 2008
                                Great name - ya couldn't make it up, you'd have to grow up with it!
                                http://www.friend.ly.net/users/dadadata/short/gandy.html

                                [Gidge is here too: as #7796-- SANDSPUR, A GARVEY by Gidge Gandy. A
                                very traditional shape but still good today
                                http://dngoodchild.com/divide_for_sail_boats.htm (there's also #5595
                                SNORKY a 14-ft Cat-Rigged Scow, and Chapelle's Mule)]

                                Gidge's club clew sail gives a bit more power low down, I know, but
                                I'm not sure I like being clubbed. Then, how is that spreet club
                                hitched on? It seems to me that the spreet sheet hitch shown here
                                http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/scow/tubby2.gif just won't
                                work. I tried tying it a few ways and it seems whoever drew that
                                detail either couldn't draw or never tied it! There probably should
                                be an elegant little hitch for this application.

                                Graeme

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 9, 2008
                                  That's the same boat. It appeared in the Rudder and also in a Rudder
                                  Plan Book.