Re: [bolger] Re: oil lamp navigation lights (another anchor light solution)

  • Doug Pollard
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2008
      ON my Fantaisua 35 we used to unplug the compass light and I had a very
      small bulb that I plugged into the line. The bulb was tiny. The cockpit
      was enclosed with Bimini and clear plastic sides. The plastic picked up
      the glow and would light up. Not real bright but very visible from a
      half of a mile. The mast head light served for the two mile range. Our
      boat was easy to pick out from shore. Doug

      Wayne Gilham wrote:

      > Agreeing with Brian, that masthead lights are nearly useless to avoid
      > collisions within a crowded harbor. for this reason (and for another to be
      > mentioned), we always rigged another lamp below the boom (over cockpit) -
      > what we chose was the el-cheapo wand-type fluorescent "trouble lights" -
      > usually available for about $9.95 at chain auto-supply stores: at 12v,
      > only
      > 8 watts (2/3 amp), so these don't drain down batteries very fast -
      > typically, they come with "cig lighter plug" (some also come with a
      > 110v-12v plug-in transformer that you snip off) - the odd greenish light
      > these cast-out makes finding OUR boat absolutely easy among all the other
      > anchored boats, when rowing back to her after dark. I would usually pull
      > the guts out of the clear plastic tube, remove the "reflector" strip of
      > metal so that the light shone a full 360 degrees, and put all together
      > again
      > - some versions require sealing the cord- hole at the bottom end with
      > a dab
      > of silicone or similar goo...
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Wayne Gilham

    • Doug Pollard
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2008
        I intended to also mention that at Georgetown in the Bahamas the local
        police came on the radio and asked all the boaters to leave there anchor
        lights off at night as all the reflections off the water was making it
        hard to see the boats in the ancharage. Go figure, as they say up North.

        Doug