Re: oil lamp navigation lights (another anchor light solution)

  • Wayne Gilham
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2008
      Agreeing with Brian, that masthead lights are nearly useless to avoid
      collisions within a crowded harbor. for this reason (and for another to be
      mentioned), we always rigged another lamp below the boom (over cockpit) -
      what we chose was the el-cheapo wand-type fluorescent "trouble lights" -
      usually available for about $9.95 at chain auto-supply stores: at 12v, only
      8 watts (2/3 amp), so these don't drain down batteries very fast -
      typically, they come with "cig lighter plug" (some also come with a
      110v-12v plug-in transformer that you snip off) - the odd greenish light
      these cast-out makes finding OUR boat absolutely easy among all the other
      anchored boats, when rowing back to her after dark. I would usually pull
      the guts out of the clear plastic tube, remove the "reflector" strip of
      metal so that the light shone a full 360 degrees, and put all together again
      - some versions require sealing the cord- hole at the bottom end with a dab
      of silicone or similar goo...

      Regards,

      Wayne Gilham

    • Doug Pollard
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2008
        ON my Fantaisua 35 we used to unplug the compass light and I had a very
        small bulb that I plugged into the line. The bulb was tiny. The cockpit
        was enclosed with Bimini and clear plastic sides. The plastic picked up
        the glow and would light up. Not real bright but very visible from a
        half of a mile. The mast head light served for the two mile range. Our
        boat was easy to pick out from shore. Doug

        Wayne Gilham wrote:

        > Agreeing with Brian, that masthead lights are nearly useless to avoid
        > collisions within a crowded harbor. for this reason (and for another to be
        > mentioned), we always rigged another lamp below the boom (over cockpit) -
        > what we chose was the el-cheapo wand-type fluorescent "trouble lights" -
        > usually available for about $9.95 at chain auto-supply stores: at 12v,
        > only
        > 8 watts (2/3 amp), so these don't drain down batteries very fast -
        > typically, they come with "cig lighter plug" (some also come with a
        > 110v-12v plug-in transformer that you snip off) - the odd greenish light
        > these cast-out makes finding OUR boat absolutely easy among all the other
        > anchored boats, when rowing back to her after dark. I would usually pull
        > the guts out of the clear plastic tube, remove the "reflector" strip of
        > metal so that the light shone a full 360 degrees, and put all together
        > again
        > - some versions require sealing the cord- hole at the bottom end with
        > a dab
        > of silicone or similar goo...
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Wayne Gilham

      • Doug Pollard
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2008
          I intended to also mention that at Georgetown in the Bahamas the local
          police came on the radio and asked all the boaters to leave there anchor
          lights off at night as all the reflections off the water was making it
          hard to see the boats in the ancharage. Go figure, as they say up North.

          Doug