Re: [bolger] oil lamp navigation lights

  • Giuliano Girometta
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
      I want to share some nonsense about government and ship's classification societies regulations regarding oil fired emergency lights:
      I was employed with the marine department of a major oil company till 15 years ago.
      Till that time, (I don't know the latest if any change has been done). All ships were required to carry emergency oil fired "Anchor light" and "Drifting vessel lights" to be used in the event of a power failure.
      By the way, even by knowing to be in violation by not diplaying the proper lights while at anchor or drifting without power, I never recall any one using such lights on the deck of an oil tanker loaded with crude oil, gasoline or avjet fuel.

      Giuliano

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
        The smaller hurricane lamp with 1/2" wick works very well and lights up
        the cockpit as well. Carry a spare globe and trim the wick to the crown
        of the cover encasing the wick.