Re: [bolger] oil lamp navigation lights

  • malcolmf
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
      I use a miner's lamp for an anchor light as well as a general purpose
      dim lighting. At the ends of the coves where I wind up anchoring, I
      don't worry about high speed boats hitting me. That plus a powerful 3
      cell Magna lite with a 3 watt LED bulb for a search light and a small
      red/white pocket LED light takes care of all my nighttime lighting.
      I have an antique galvanized bi-color oil which just hangs as a
      decoration in the kitchen. The problem I see with oil lamps is their
      size on small boats. Most that I have seen run from 9 to 12 inches
      tall. I am waiting until LEDs get to a reasonable price. See
      https://www.professorled.com/ for nice products, but hold your breath
      when you get to the prices.
      Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
      Malcolm

      Mungo Jerry wrote:

      > Anyone have any experience using traditional, oil fired navigation
      > lights? I was curious how they stack up with current CG regs.
      >
      > In that regard, I found a really rather nice source for ships lamps,
      > wheels, bells, etc at http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.
      > <http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.>
      > Very nice stock, good prices, and some very nice people to deal with.
      > Theyre internet only, based in the Baltimore area.

      > .

    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
        Nice article on LED's by Gary Blankenship in Duckworks though a little
        dated.

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/articles/led/index.cfm

        Gary is not noted for wild extravagant spending.

        HJ

        malcolmf wrote:
        > I use a miner's lamp for an anchor light as well as a general purpose
        > dim lighting. At the ends of the coves where I wind up anchoring, I
        > don't worry about high speed boats hitting me. That plus a powerful 3
        > cell Magna lite with a 3 watt LED bulb for a search light and a small
        > red/white pocket LED light takes care of all my nighttime lighting.
        > I have an antique galvanized bi-color oil which just hangs as a
        > decoration in the kitchen. The problem I see with oil lamps is their
        > size on small boats. Most that I have seen run from 9 to 12 inches
        > tall. I am waiting until LEDs get to a reasonable price. See
        > https://www.professorled.com/ for nice products, but hold your breath
        > when you get to the prices.
        > Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
        > Malcolm
        >

        > Mungo Jerry wrote:
        >
        >> Anyone have any experience using traditional, oil fired navigation
        >> lights? I was curious how they stack up with current CG regs.
        >>
        >> In that regard, I found a really rather nice source for ships lamps,
        >> wheels, bells, etc at http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.
        >> <http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.>
        >> Very nice stock, good prices, and some very nice people to deal with.
        >> Theyre internet only, based in the Baltimore area.

      • Giuliano Girometta
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
          I want to share some nonsense about government and ship's classification societies regulations regarding oil fired emergency lights:
          I was employed with the marine department of a major oil company till 15 years ago.
          Till that time, (I don't know the latest if any change has been done). All ships were required to carry emergency oil fired "Anchor light" and "Drifting vessel lights" to be used in the event of a power failure.
          By the way, even by knowing to be in violation by not diplaying the proper lights while at anchor or drifting without power, I never recall any one using such lights on the deck of an oil tanker loaded with crude oil, gasoline or avjet fuel.

          Giuliano

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
            The smaller hurricane lamp with 1/2" wick works very well and lights up
            the cockpit as well. Carry a spare globe and trim the wick to the crown
            of the cover encasing the wick.