Re: oil lamp navigation lights

  • n4_mjr
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
      These look more like home decor than something intended for use on a
      boat. Look at these:
      http://www.weems-plath.com/cgi-bin/showCollection.cgi?categoryKey=18&subCategoryKey=33&itemNumber=0

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mungo Jerry" <mungojerryus@...> wrote:

      > Anyone have any experience using traditional, oil fired navigation
      > lights? I was curious how they stack up with current CG regs.
      >
      > In that regard, I found a really rather nice source for ships lamps,
      > wheels, bells, etc at http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.
      > Very nice stock, good prices, and some very nice people to deal with.
      > Theyre internet only, based in the Baltimore area.

    • n4_mjr
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2008
        Or these
        http://www.popeyesmarine.com/Lighting.htm#OIL_LAMPS

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mungo Jerry" <mungojerryus@...> wrote:

        > Anyone have any experience using traditional, oil fired navigation
        > lights? I was curious how they stack up with current CG regs.
        >
        > In that regard, I found a really rather nice source for ships lamps,
        > wheels, bells, etc at http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.
        > Very nice stock, good prices, and some very nice people to deal with.
        > Theyre internet only, based in the Baltimore area.

      • Brian Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
          I don't know about the oil red/green navigation lights, but I used an
          oil anchor light very often when cruising and found it to be very
          good. One of the best things was that I could hang it from the
          forestay at head height and it tended to light up the whole deck and
          cabintop, as opposed to the normal masthead anchor lights which could
          get lost in the stars or shore lights leaving the boat almost
          invisible on dark nights. I remember motoring into an anchorage on a
          moonless night with a friend up front and I was expecting other yachts
          but couldn't see any until I noticed that some of the stars and shore
          lights were moving around more than one would expect -- I slowed down
          even more and after a minute he saw the first of what turned out to be
          something like 20 sailboats with masthead lights but nothing near deck
          and they were almost invisible until we were right up on them.

          The oil lamps can be pretty dirty, collecting a lot of soot if the the
          wicks are not trimmed properly or if they are allowed to burn empty. I
          also used two gimbaled bulkhead mounted lamps almost exclusively for
          light in the cabin. Nice warm light, the oil didn't cost much, and
          easy on the batteries.

          Cheers, Brian

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "n4_mjr" <n4_mjr@...> wrote:

          > Or these
          > http://www.popeyesmarine.com/Lighting.htm#OIL_LAMPS
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mungo Jerry" <mungojerryus@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone have any experience using traditional, oil fired navigation
          > > lights? I was curious how they stack up with current CG regs.
          > >
          > > In that regard, I found a really rather nice source for ships lamps,
          > > wheels, bells, etc at http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.
          > > Very nice stock, good prices, and some very nice people to deal
          with.
          > > Theyre internet only, based in the Baltimore area.

        • malcolmf
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
            I use a miner's lamp for an anchor light as well as a general purpose
            dim lighting. At the ends of the coves where I wind up anchoring, I
            don't worry about high speed boats hitting me. That plus a powerful 3
            cell Magna lite with a 3 watt LED bulb for a search light and a small
            red/white pocket LED light takes care of all my nighttime lighting.
            I have an antique galvanized bi-color oil which just hangs as a
            decoration in the kitchen. The problem I see with oil lamps is their
            size on small boats. Most that I have seen run from 9 to 12 inches
            tall. I am waiting until LEDs get to a reasonable price. See
            https://www.professorled.com/ for nice products, but hold your breath
            when you get to the prices.
            Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
            Malcolm

            Mungo Jerry wrote:

            > Anyone have any experience using traditional, oil fired navigation
            > lights? I was curious how they stack up with current CG regs.
            >
            > In that regard, I found a really rather nice source for ships lamps,
            > wheels, bells, etc at http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.
            > <http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.>
            > Very nice stock, good prices, and some very nice people to deal with.
            > Theyre internet only, based in the Baltimore area.

            > .

          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
              Nice article on LED's by Gary Blankenship in Duckworks though a little
              dated.

              http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/articles/led/index.cfm

              Gary is not noted for wild extravagant spending.

              HJ

              malcolmf wrote:
              > I use a miner's lamp for an anchor light as well as a general purpose
              > dim lighting. At the ends of the coves where I wind up anchoring, I
              > don't worry about high speed boats hitting me. That plus a powerful 3
              > cell Magna lite with a 3 watt LED bulb for a search light and a small
              > red/white pocket LED light takes care of all my nighttime lighting.
              > I have an antique galvanized bi-color oil which just hangs as a
              > decoration in the kitchen. The problem I see with oil lamps is their
              > size on small boats. Most that I have seen run from 9 to 12 inches
              > tall. I am waiting until LEDs get to a reasonable price. See
              > https://www.professorled.com/ for nice products, but hold your breath
              > when you get to the prices.
              > Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
              > Malcolm
              >

              > Mungo Jerry wrote:
              >
              >> Anyone have any experience using traditional, oil fired navigation
              >> lights? I was curious how they stack up with current CG regs.
              >>
              >> In that regard, I found a really rather nice source for ships lamps,
              >> wheels, bells, etc at http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.
              >> <http://www.robinsdocksideshop.com/index.htm.>
              >> Very nice stock, good prices, and some very nice people to deal with.
              >> Theyre internet only, based in the Baltimore area.

            • Giuliano Girometta
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2008
                I want to share some nonsense about government and ship's classification societies regulations regarding oil fired emergency lights:
                I was employed with the marine department of a major oil company till 15 years ago.
                Till that time, (I don't know the latest if any change has been done). All ships were required to carry emergency oil fired "Anchor light" and "Drifting vessel lights" to be used in the event of a power failure.
                By the way, even by knowing to be in violation by not diplaying the proper lights while at anchor or drifting without power, I never recall any one using such lights on the deck of an oil tanker loaded with crude oil, gasoline or avjet fuel.

                Giuliano

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2008
                  The smaller hurricane lamp with 1/2" wick works very well and lights up
                  the cockpit as well. Carry a spare globe and trim the wick to the crown
                  of the cover encasing the wick.