Re: [bolger] Re: Romp isometric

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 28, 2008
      > Another "Romp" - cool!

      Interestingly, Hugo mentions of lightning strike 'fried' engine
      electronics. And PCB's writeup mentions that there was no motor in
      any known Romps built. (Probably a matter of timing, or missed
      communication.) I can imagine Romp going very far over on her side,
      and popping right back up. Lots of reserved buoyancy, high deck on
      shallow draft, like with St. Valery, Resolution and even with the
      Prince William Sound Yawl.
    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 28, 2008
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Gentry" <alias1719@...> wrote:
        > Another "Romp" - cool! Please, if you could, do you have any pictures
        > of "Beluga" that you could post? I think we'd all appreciate seeing
        > them!
        > Thanks!
        > Dave

        There's a story at
        http://www.thecoastalpassage.com.au/index.html

        on the back issues page
        http://www.thecoastalpassage.com.au/back_issues.html click on the issue
        at the bottom right for the article in pdf on Beluga Too. Page 4.

        Graeme
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 19, 2008
        • eric light
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 20, 2008
            Bruce, what is a good program to open an FBM file in? I see from my Google
            search that it's a "fuzzy bitmap" image, but I can't seem to find anything
            to open it with. I use a Mac, and usually Graphic Converter will open
            unusual image files, but I've had no luck with this one.

            Thanks,
            Eric
            -------

            On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

            > Here are some iso's
            >
            > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2702417976/
            >
            > http://hallman.org/bolger/romp/RompLines.gif
            >
            > And a fbm
            >
            > http://hallman.org/bolger/romp/Romp.fbm

          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 20, 2008
              Its Freeship, the cad ship designing program that Bruce is a master of
              and the source of all those wonderful Isometrics he lays out for us.

              You can Google, the designer has taken it private but there are still
              legitimate free versions out therre, here is one

              http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Freeship.shtml

              HJ

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 20, 2008
                Freeship 2.6

                On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:16 AM, eric light <frabjusday@...> wrote:
                > Bruce, what is a good program to open an FBM file in?
              • Christopher C. Wetherill
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 20, 2008
                  Freeship is now the free version of Delftship:
                  http://www.delftship.net/delftship/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=4

                  Harry James wrote:
                  > Its Freeship, the cad ship designing program that Bruce is a master of
                  > and the source of all those wonderful Isometrics he lays out for us.

                • malcolmf
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 21, 2008
                    Bruce,
                    Can Freeship 2.6 be used to develop the actual shape of the panels for
                    stitch & Glue construction, starting from the offsets?
                    Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
                    Malcolm

                    Bruce Hallman wrote:

                    > Freeship 2.6
                    >
                    > http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Freeship.shtml
                    > <http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Freeship.shtml>
                    >
                    > On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:16 AM, eric light <frabjusday@...
                    > <mailto:frabjusday%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                    > > Bruce, what is a good program to open an FBM file in?

                  • Jim W
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 21, 2008
                      And where can I obtain the building plans for this Romp?
                      Thanks
                      jim

                      You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat to the sea you don't love,

                      she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds.

                      (And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, in-so-much that the ship was covered with the waves)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 29, 2008
                        On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 4:27 AM, malcolmf <malcolmf@...> wrote:
                        > Bruce,
                        > Can Freeship 2.6 be used to develop the actual shape of the panels for
                        > stitch & Glue construction, starting from the offsets?
                        > Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
                        > Malcolm

                        Romp is a strip planked boat. Regardless, yes Freeship does a good
                        job of calculating expanded panels. As to working from the table of
                        offsets, conventionally, you would loft the table of offsets to
                        establish the frames and the lines. This lofting smooths out the
                        errors in the table of offsets (Then you do the spiling to figure the
                        expanded shapes of the strakes.) Freeship does the smoothing of
                        errors and if you know the sheerline and keel shape and a midship
                        section (or two or three) you do not need to worry about all the
                        offsets. Freeship also expands the shapes of the strakes.