Re: Romp isometric

  • Dave Gentry
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 28, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@...> wrote:

      > Yes, the "Romp" design is very good..and I speak from personal
      experience as my father built the only other ( as far as I know of )
      boat to this design.( "Beluga")

      Hi Hugo

      Another "Romp" - cool! Please, if you could, do you have any pictures
      of "Beluga" that you could post? I think we'd all appreciate seeing
      them!
      Thanks!
      Dave
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 28, 2008
        > Another "Romp" - cool!

        Interestingly, Hugo mentions of lightning strike 'fried' engine
        electronics. And PCB's writeup mentions that there was no motor in
        any known Romps built. (Probably a matter of timing, or missed
        communication.) I can imagine Romp going very far over on her side,
        and popping right back up. Lots of reserved buoyancy, high deck on
        shallow draft, like with St. Valery, Resolution and even with the
        Prince William Sound Yawl.
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 28, 2008
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Gentry" <alias1719@...> wrote:
          > Another "Romp" - cool! Please, if you could, do you have any pictures
          > of "Beluga" that you could post? I think we'd all appreciate seeing
          > them!
          > Thanks!
          > Dave

          There's a story at
          http://www.thecoastalpassage.com.au/index.html

          on the back issues page
          http://www.thecoastalpassage.com.au/back_issues.html click on the issue
          at the bottom right for the article in pdf on Beluga Too. Page 4.

          Graeme
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2008
          • eric light
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 20, 2008
              Bruce, what is a good program to open an FBM file in? I see from my Google
              search that it's a "fuzzy bitmap" image, but I can't seem to find anything
              to open it with. I use a Mac, and usually Graphic Converter will open
              unusual image files, but I've had no luck with this one.

              Thanks,
              Eric
              -------

              On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

              > Here are some iso's
              >
              > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2702417976/
              >
              > http://hallman.org/bolger/romp/RompLines.gif
              >
              > And a fbm
              >
              > http://hallman.org/bolger/romp/Romp.fbm

            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 20, 2008
                Its Freeship, the cad ship designing program that Bruce is a master of
                and the source of all those wonderful Isometrics he lays out for us.

                You can Google, the designer has taken it private but there are still
                legitimate free versions out therre, here is one

                http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Freeship.shtml

                HJ

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 20, 2008
                  Freeship 2.6

                  On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:16 AM, eric light <frabjusday@...> wrote:
                  > Bruce, what is a good program to open an FBM file in?
                • Christopher C. Wetherill
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 20, 2008
                    Freeship is now the free version of Delftship:
                    http://www.delftship.net/delftship/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=4

                    Harry James wrote:
                    > Its Freeship, the cad ship designing program that Bruce is a master of
                    > and the source of all those wonderful Isometrics he lays out for us.

                  • malcolmf
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 21, 2008
                      Bruce,
                      Can Freeship 2.6 be used to develop the actual shape of the panels for
                      stitch & Glue construction, starting from the offsets?
                      Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
                      Malcolm

                      Bruce Hallman wrote:

                      > Freeship 2.6
                      >
                      > http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Freeship.shtml
                      > <http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Freeship.shtml>
                      >
                      > On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:16 AM, eric light <frabjusday@...
                      > <mailto:frabjusday%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                      > > Bruce, what is a good program to open an FBM file in?

                    • Jim W
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 21, 2008
                        And where can I obtain the building plans for this Romp?
                        Thanks
                        jim

                        You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat to the sea you don't love,

                        she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds.

                        (And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, in-so-much that the ship was covered with the waves)

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 29, 2008
                          On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 4:27 AM, malcolmf <malcolmf@...> wrote:
                          > Bruce,
                          > Can Freeship 2.6 be used to develop the actual shape of the panels for
                          > stitch & Glue construction, starting from the offsets?
                          > Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
                          > Malcolm

                          Romp is a strip planked boat. Regardless, yes Freeship does a good
                          job of calculating expanded panels. As to working from the table of
                          offsets, conventionally, you would loft the table of offsets to
                          establish the frames and the lines. This lofting smooths out the
                          errors in the table of offsets (Then you do the spiling to figure the
                          expanded shapes of the strakes.) Freeship does the smoothing of
                          errors and if you know the sheerline and keel shape and a midship
                          section (or two or three) you do not need to worry about all the
                          offsets. Freeship also expands the shapes of the strakes.