from one thing to another

  • Douglas Pollard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
      My daughter bought a sailboat ( day sailor) water got inside the center
      board and rusted metal inside. It swelled up and got stuck in the
      centerboard slot. I brought it home ground the swelled up fiberglass off
      the outside. Put lead inside. Burnt up my disk sander. :'( Bought an
      old South Bend lathe with lead screw and half nut worn out I drove to
      Florida from Virginia to get it. Burnt up an alternator $250.00 ,
      $200.00 motel bills, new fan belt $13.00 and darn near $500.00 in
      gasoline and $545.oo for the lathe.
      I needed this lathe to make a bushing for my sander threaded on the
      inside and out. So needing to thread replaced the lead screw. Needed to
      make a set of half nuts the thread the bushing in the lathe. Wanted to
      mill out the half nuts to cast new ones in epoxy. May work?? No milling
      machine! Took apart my drill press to make one out of it. I drilled
      out the spindle in the lathe so I could put in a draw bar. Already had
      #2 end mill holders, just waiting for a lathe. 8-) Made up a spacer to
      go between the spindle bearings. If the bearings will preload properly
      I will have a miil that is usable. With the use of an x,y axis that I
      bought about a year ago to make my mill from I hope to mill the half
      nuts with my new mill. I was going to bore them in the lathe but just
      didn't have the needed stuff to mount them on a face plate and bore :'(
      Hope to bore the nuts tomorrow and cast the epoxy nuts. I have no
      idea whether they will be any good or not. Hopefully good enough to
      make some bronze threaded inserts to be half nuts :-\ Finally when all
      this is done I can fix my sander, epoxy coat the centerboard and give it
      back to my daughter to go for a sail. All things considered I have been
      having more fun than a barrel of monkeys ;-) . Have you noticed an over
      abundance of the word hope in this communication?

      ? A new sander cost
      $100.00so this was certainly a finacial bust.

      Doug
    • Ken Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
        But all of the fun involved -- PRICELESS

        #2 end mill holders, just waiting for a lathe. 8-) Made up a spacer to

[...]

      • John and Kathy Trussell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
          There ain't no such thing as a free boat! But there is nothing more fun than fooling with them. Have fun.

          JohnT