Re: "Queen Mab" (design #638)Construction

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2 3:31 PM
      Al,

      I just saw your post, and photos about your Queen Mab project and I'm
      wondering how she turned out?
      It's great to see a photo that gives a good idea of what she looks
      like, a sweet looking little boat that has been on my wish
      list for awhile now. As I recall the designed weight is about 27
      pounds, is it true?? How does she sail? I'm dying
      for an ultralight dinghy to carry on top of my Honda, pick up with one
      hand and fool around in. Thanks for the photos.

      Marc in SF
    • albert m.straub
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24 9:15 AM
        --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Marc " <marcos@m...> wrote:

        Hi Marc,

        Sorry for the delayed response.

        The only water my QM has seen as yet is from the garden hose in
        removing the amine "blush" from the epozy coating.

        I am already past the design weight without the decking and seat. I
        expect to be closer to 40 lbs when she is finished. I guess I could
        stand to lose 15 lbs anyway. My feeling is that a 25 lb boat might be
        structurally marginal, given the "feel" of the okume plywood that I
        am
        using, which has resulted in 30 lbs sans deck, seat, and combing. One
        might need balsa plywood (if there is such a thing.

        Will post more pictures when the deck is on.

        ps. Weight measurements before and after epoxy coating show about a
        5%
        to 10% weight increase (depending on the part) but I prefer the
        "hardened" surface for durability.

        Al (in Ann Arbor)

        > Al,
        >
        > I just saw your post, and photos about your Queen Mab project and
        I'm
        > wondering how she turned out?
        > It's great to see a photo that gives a good idea of what she looks
        > like, a sweet looking little boat that has been on my wish
        > list for awhile now. As I recall the designed weight is about 27
        > pounds, is it true?? How does she sail? I'm dying
        > for an ultralight dinghy to carry on top of my Honda, pick up with
        one
        > hand and fool around in. Thanks for the photos.
        >
        > Marc in SF
      • Catboater
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25 10:35 AM
          There is NO structural problem if the boat weighs 28 pounds, My Just
          Ducky is very strong at 28 pounds. I think Bolger seriously
          miscalculated the weight of a lapstrake ply constructed Queen Mab,
          evryone I know of who has chosen lapstrake ply for planking a Queen
          Mab has a very heavy boat. In this size boat 15 to 20 pounds makes a
          BIG difference.

          Dave Thibodeau

          > Hi Marc,
          >
          > Sorry for the delayed response.
          >
          > The only water my QM has seen as yet is from the garden hose in
          > removing the amine "blush" from the epozy coating.
          >
          > I am already past the design weight without the decking and seat. I
          > expect to be closer to 40 lbs when she is finished. I guess I could
          > stand to lose 15 lbs anyway. My feeling is that a 25 lb boat might
          be
          > structurally marginal, given the "feel" of the okume plywood that I
          > am
          > using, which has resulted in 30 lbs sans deck, seat, and combing.
          One
          > might need balsa plywood (if there is such a thing.
          >
          > Will post more pictures when the deck is on.
          >
          > ps. Weight measurements before and after epoxy coating show about a
          > 5%
          > to 10% weight increase (depending on the part) but I prefer the
          > "hardened" surface for durability.
          >
          > Al (in Ann Arbor)
          >

          > > Al,
          > >
          > > I just saw your post, and photos about your Queen Mab project and
          > I'm
          > > wondering how she turned out?
          > > It's great to see a photo that gives a good idea of what she looks
          > > like, a sweet looking little boat that has been on my wish
          > > list for awhile now. As I recall the designed weight is about 27
          > > pounds, is it true?? How does she sail? I'm dying
          > > for an ultralight dinghy to carry on top of my Honda, pick up
          with
          > one
          > > hand and fool around in. Thanks for the photos.
          > >
          > > Marc in SF
        • albert m.straub
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26 7:14 AM
            There is no doubt that "added weight" is not desirable in a sail boat
            (unless it is low in the hull) but I believe that, since the major
            portion of the QM displacement is due to crew weight, the performance
            will not be seriously affected by an additional 10 to 15lbs in the
            hull. By my reckoning an additional 15 lbs will raise the water line
            by about 1/4 inch. I can't imagine that will be significant to the
            cruising performance (racing is another matter). Weight aloft is
            probably alot more important than a few extra lbs in the hull, hence
            my use of $7/bd-ft (wince!) sitka spruce for the spars.

            I also think that Mr. Bolger's weight calculations may not be too far
            off since he probably used published data for the density of Okume
            plywood. The "brand name" Okume that I was able to obtain was
            significantly heavier than the published information.

            The main drawback that I see to an extra 10 to 15 lbs is in the
            "heavier lift" to get the boat to and from the water. In this
            case lighter is definitely better.

            Al (in Ann Arbor)