Re: Of glue and tape

  • Bryant Owen
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 2, 2008
      Bruce et al. I was not disparaging fibreglas tape and epoxy but merely
      commenting that you can build an OK boat with drywall tape and PL. At
      this point in my building career if it's anything beyond a "throwaway"
      I'd definitely use tape/epoxy.

      Bryant

      > > People continue to make boats with drywall tape/pl seams. Seems to
      > > work well with small boats and thin ply. What works, works.
      >
      > I agree, what works, works.
      >
      > Still, my eBay epoxy cost me only $48.50/gallon after tax, delivered.
      > A heck of a bargain for an excellent glue.

    • .Randy Powell
      Message 42 of 42 , Jul 14, 2008
        Thanks, I was out  on the river tonight in my CLC stitch and tape Kayak, rides great and nice and light. I was shocked at the cost of buying a kayak a few years ago so thought 15 years of carpentry should do more than live an almost finished house, so I bought a set of plans and Boat #1. I have offered a couple of building classes in s& tape construction, and it sure worked well for newbies to boat building, but alas I have been bitten buy the lapstrake bug and have ordered plans for a canoe. If you are into paddling it sure can put you in finished boat in as little as 50 or 60 hours unless like the rest of us you will want to spend at lest 3/4 of your time finishing it so the sun shines of the deck so bright  that sun glasses are needed in the shade!  Keep us posted on your progress and maybe a shop bee at your place to get some walls up, how about out there, not like we all don't have enough to do
        Randy

        From: .Randy Powell <rpspiritwaters@ yahoo.ca>
        To: bolger@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Monday, July 14, 2008, 1:50 AM

        What boat shop would that be???? Giuliano, perhaps a few pics of your in shop work would be sweet.
        Randy

        From: .Randy Powell <rpspiritwaters@ yahoo.ca>
        To: bolger@yahoogroups. com
        Date: Friday, July 11, 2008, 4:37 PM

        I build wood boats for a living in Muskoka, we use joinery to constuct our crafts, PL is NOT the way to go, far to brittal and just as messy as epoxy, There is no job worth doing by half,
        either take the time, say 10 years to become a master boat builder or use the proper adhesives for the job.
        Randy