RE: [bolger] Okume/meranti/fir

  • Chester Young
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1 11:43 AM
      There is or was a chartered Tennessee in the Keys. Capt, Linda did group
      and private charters aboard Mangrove Mistress. My wife and I chartered with
      her four years ago. It was then that I was totally hooked on getting a
      Tennessee. I recall that she had all of her certifications for up to 6
      passengers. Her comment was that the marina begrudgingly leased her a slip
      as she used such small amounts of fuel that she did not contribute much to
      the revenue stream. Her slip was so narrow that no other vessel in the
      marina cold fit, it was against a far seawall and made you feel unwanted.
      If she is still in business she is getting the last laugh at this point.

      Caloosarat

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 1:16 PM
        Harry, is your experiance with the Okume or the Meranti, or both?

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1 1:44 PM
          > burns 100 gallons of gas per trip. The charter fishing industry is dying, I
          > think.

          All the more reason that the new PB&F 'Blackfish' fuel efficient New
          England fishing boat concept makes sense. They have hinted that they
          have a version that uses a dipping lug sail for auxiliary power, have
          the drawings been seen?
        • echo172@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1 2:21 PM
            There are those who just like being envied and I think they will stay below at the dock with their marina mates and consume more beverages. A 2 million dollar sportfish with no fish isn't much of an investment.
            There are fewer fish and to motivate trips it takes a pool of fuel donors and a report of action. My pals have been tied up more than "out front" for a few years. Now, I don't know they would do any fishing other than drifting.
            A month ago I had a hard time finding a small outboard in the few hp range. They were getting lots of bids on ebay and the calls to dealers were unanswered or sold out.
            Putt putt time.
            I'd love an auxillary sail on a power boat.
            Bruce in NJ

            From: "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...>
            > > burns 100 gallons of gas per trip. The charter fishing industry is dying, I
            > > think.
            >
            > All the more reason that the new PB&F 'Blackfish' fuel efficient New
            > England fishing boat concept makes sense. They have hinted that they
            > have a version that uses a dipping lug sail for auxiliary power, have
            > the drawings been seen?

          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1 3:16 PM
              I believe meranti, whichever is cheaper. Bought from Edensaw, painted
              with the System Three two pack, left outside since 2003.

              The Yellow Gull has fiberglassed bottom only, still looks good.

              HJ Juneau