RE: [bolger] Okume/meranti/fir

  • Sam Glasscock
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
      I am hoping to use her as an ecotour-type charter boat with a 9.9 four stroke, although with the mileage you are getting the bigger motor is tempting.  I plan to do a half-cabin (compared with the plans) extending the cockpit up through where Bolger drew the head/galley area.  I'll put a standing-hieght hardtop back to where Bolger drew the aft bulkhead of the cabin, and carry a canvas cover over a frame back to the after end of the cocckpit.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
        I have a friend who has a Grady White 27' he uses for inshore charters.  He burns 100 gallons of gas per trip.  The charter fishing industry is dying, I think.  On the other hand, the Delmarva Peninsula (and other areas, I bet) is loaded with scenic, relatively unspoiled shallow rivers full of wildlife.  I am betting an inexpensive trip at six knots up a local river, spotting wildlife and watching the scenery, will appeal to people who would never pay to charter a fishing trip at the price captains are now forced to charge.  My hope, anyway.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
          If you're planning on taking passengers for hire, I bet the Coast Guard may have something to say about what materials you can and cannot use.

          Things change when you go from personal use to commercial use.

          ---- Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:
          > I am hoping to use her as an ecotour-type charter boat with a 9.9 four stroke, although with the mileage you are getting the bigger motor is tempting. I plan to do a half-cabin (compared with the plans) extending the cockpit up through where Bolger drew the head/galley area. I'll put a standing-hieght hardtop back to where Bolger drew the aft bulkhead of the cabin, and carry a canvas cover over a frame back to the after end of the cocckpit.

        • Chester Young
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
            There is or was a chartered Tennessee in the Keys. Capt, Linda did group
            and private charters aboard Mangrove Mistress. My wife and I chartered with
            her four years ago. It was then that I was totally hooked on getting a
            Tennessee. I recall that she had all of her certifications for up to 6
            passengers. Her comment was that the marina begrudgingly leased her a slip
            as she used such small amounts of fuel that she did not contribute much to
            the revenue stream. Her slip was so narrow that no other vessel in the
            marina cold fit, it was against a far seawall and made you feel unwanted.
            If she is still in business she is getting the last laugh at this point.

            Caloosarat

            _____

            ---- Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@ <mailto:glasscocklanding%40yahoo.com>

            <mailto:chester%40hanswilson.com> com> wrote:

            > From: Chester Young <chester@hanswilson. <mailto:chester%40hanswilson.com>
            com>
            > Subject: RE: [bolger] Okume/meranti/fir
            > To: bolger@yahoogroups. <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> com
            > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
            >

            > Did Phil explain his aversion to MDO? The only thing on Esther Mae that is
            > MDO are the squat boards, while the worm borers have made their way into
            it
            > from the edges the flat surfaces are holding up surprisingly well, no
            > delaminating that I have noted.
            >
            > Sam: you have selected a truly great boat for protected waters. I am
            > getting better than 10mpg running a 25hp four stroke that gets up to 18
            mph
            > depending on wind, current and waves. That is a lot run time per gallon
            and
            > with gas at $4.10 I find myself being the sole vessel on the river more
            > frequently than ever.
            >
            > What are your plans for the cabin, cockpit and deck layout?
            >
            > Caloosarat
            >
            > _____

            (978) 282-1349
            > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@
            <mailto:bolger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
            > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_
            <mailto:bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
            lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Sam Glasscock
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
              Harry, is your experiance with the Okume or the Meranti, or both?

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                > burns 100 gallons of gas per trip. The charter fishing industry is dying, I
                > think.

                All the more reason that the new PB&F 'Blackfish' fuel efficient New
                England fishing boat concept makes sense. They have hinted that they
                have a version that uses a dipping lug sail for auxiliary power, have
                the drawings been seen?
              • echo172@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                  There are those who just like being envied and I think they will stay below at the dock with their marina mates and consume more beverages. A 2 million dollar sportfish with no fish isn't much of an investment.
                  There are fewer fish and to motivate trips it takes a pool of fuel donors and a report of action. My pals have been tied up more than "out front" for a few years. Now, I don't know they would do any fishing other than drifting.
                  A month ago I had a hard time finding a small outboard in the few hp range. They were getting lots of bids on ebay and the calls to dealers were unanswered or sold out.
                  Putt putt time.
                  I'd love an auxillary sail on a power boat.
                  Bruce in NJ

                  From: "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...>
                  > > burns 100 gallons of gas per trip. The charter fishing industry is dying, I
                  > > think.
                  >
                  > All the more reason that the new PB&F 'Blackfish' fuel efficient New
                  > England fishing boat concept makes sense. They have hinted that they
                  > have a version that uses a dipping lug sail for auxiliary power, have
                  > the drawings been seen?

                • Harry James
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                    I believe meranti, whichever is cheaper. Bought from Edensaw, painted
                    with the System Three two pack, left outside since 2003.

                    The Yellow Gull has fiberglassed bottom only, still looks good.

                    HJ Juneau