Sunday Sailing

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2000
      FBBB --

      Surfing and working on the light scooner had been distracting me from
      getting our teal ship-shape and down to the beach. But I finally got
      her thwart replaced, blades sanded and re-resinned, etc, and got her
      back on the beach where she belongs.

      Some of you may recall my many rants re. trailering and/or
      car-topping. Suffice to say, we have neither a trailer, a car that
      would pull one, or a proper rack; so getting lil'winnie to the beach
      requires a dangerous mix of 2x4s and rug scraps.

      We arrived without mishap or arrest (riding the shoulder of 27 with
      the hazards blinking,) and within 15 minutes were under sail, heading
      out to where the birds had been working pretty hard all week. The
      wind was SW and about 8-12, so sailing was easy going.

      I trolled a blue and silver plug the whole way, but it wasn't till we
      were a mile or so out that we started to see fish -- fish everywhere
      in fact. Blues jumping and slashing the surface; bass boiling here
      and there.

      The fish seemed concentrated at a specific distance off the beach,
      perhaps a thermocline, or who knows. I beat westward, then picked up
      a bluefish as I tacked and fell off to work the line on a broad
      reach. Tried the same thing again and picked up a striper as I fell
      off the second time.

      Pretty much a perfect day.

      YIBB,

      David