Re: Okume/meranti/fir

  • gregory_west2001
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
      I built an "Elegant Punt" eight years ago and a "Surf" three years ago,
      both with Okoume marine BS1088 plywood from World Panel Products in
      Riviera Beach, Florida. Both boats are coated with one coat of West
      expoxy (with no fiberglass to keep them light) and painted with
      exterior latex. Both are also outside all the time in Florida weather
      (since we don't have a garage), and the Elegant Punt has been lying
      upside down less than twenty feet from the St. Augustine harbor chained
      to a log the entire time, sometimes with the tide just reaching it on a
      big northeastern. Neither has had any checking or rot issues, although
      they probably aren't much to look at.

      I think quality of the plywood is high, with no voids that I have
      seen. I am having ten more 6 mm sheets of it delivered this Thursday
      for a Selway-Fisher "Rose" that I am working on.
    • Sam Glasscock
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
        I am hoping to use her as an ecotour-type charter boat with a 9.9 four stroke, although with the mileage you are getting the bigger motor is tempting.  I plan to do a half-cabin (compared with the plans) extending the cockpit up through where Bolger drew the head/galley area.  I'll put a standing-hieght hardtop back to where Bolger drew the aft bulkhead of the cabin, and carry a canvas cover over a frame back to the after end of the cocckpit.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
          I have a friend who has a Grady White 27' he uses for inshore charters.  He burns 100 gallons of gas per trip.  The charter fishing industry is dying, I think.  On the other hand, the Delmarva Peninsula (and other areas, I bet) is loaded with scenic, relatively unspoiled shallow rivers full of wildlife.  I am betting an inexpensive trip at six knots up a local river, spotting wildlife and watching the scenery, will appeal to people who would never pay to charter a fishing trip at the price captains are now forced to charge.  My hope, anyway.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
            Does great and you don't even need the barrier coat.

            HJ

            Sam Glasscock wrote:
            > I am getting close to ordering the ply to build a Tennessee. I am hoping to get away with sheathing only up to the waterline with epoxy/glass, and therefore am considering non-fir ply for the sides and decks/cabin tops. Does anyone have experience with the ability of Meranti/Okume to withstand checking under an epoxy barrier coat and paint, without glass? How is the durability/rot resistance of these woods as opposed to fir? Thanks

          • David C.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
              If you're planning on taking passengers for hire, I bet the Coast Guard may have something to say about what materials you can and cannot use.

              Things change when you go from personal use to commercial use.

              ---- Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:
              > I am hoping to use her as an ecotour-type charter boat with a 9.9 four stroke, although with the mileage you are getting the bigger motor is tempting. I plan to do a half-cabin (compared with the plans) extending the cockpit up through where Bolger drew the head/galley area. I'll put a standing-hieght hardtop back to where Bolger drew the aft bulkhead of the cabin, and carry a canvas cover over a frame back to the after end of the cocckpit.

            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                I have been thinking about gas and Bolger designs. Fritz Funk made a
                cruise in his Sneakeasy on the Mississippi a few years ago, 200 miles on
                12 Gallons of gas. I live in a town where everybody has multiple boats
                in their yard. The old plastic runabouts slowly disappear into the moss
                and now you are starting to see the large older Tollies and Uniflites
                with the twin Crusaders, Small blocks and 454's not get launched at all.
                $300 to go on a day fishing trip will make anybody pause.

                Harry James
                Juneau

                --snip--

                > Sam: you have selected a truly great boat for protected waters. I am
                > getting better than 10mpg running a 25hp four stroke that gets up to 18 mph
                > depending on wind, current and waves. That is a lot run time per gallon and
                > with gas at $4.10 I find myself being the sole vessel on the river more
                > frequently than ever.
                >

                > What are your plans for the cabin, cockpit and deck layout?
                >

                > Caloosarat

              • Chester Young
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                  There is or was a chartered Tennessee in the Keys. Capt, Linda did group
                  and private charters aboard Mangrove Mistress. My wife and I chartered with
                  her four years ago. It was then that I was totally hooked on getting a
                  Tennessee. I recall that she had all of her certifications for up to 6
                  passengers. Her comment was that the marina begrudgingly leased her a slip
                  as she used such small amounts of fuel that she did not contribute much to
                  the revenue stream. Her slip was so narrow that no other vessel in the
                  marina cold fit, it was against a far seawall and made you feel unwanted.
                  If she is still in business she is getting the last laugh at this point.

                  Caloosarat

                  _____

                  ---- Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@ <mailto:glasscocklanding%40yahoo.com>

                  <mailto:chester%40hanswilson.com> com> wrote:

                  > From: Chester Young <chester@hanswilson. <mailto:chester%40hanswilson.com>
                  com>
                  > Subject: RE: [bolger] Okume/meranti/fir
                  > To: bolger@yahoogroups. <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> com
                  > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
                  >

                  > Did Phil explain his aversion to MDO? The only thing on Esther Mae that is
                  > MDO are the squat boards, while the worm borers have made their way into
                  it
                  > from the edges the flat surfaces are holding up surprisingly well, no
                  > delaminating that I have noted.
                  >
                  > Sam: you have selected a truly great boat for protected waters. I am
                  > getting better than 10mpg running a 25hp four stroke that gets up to 18
                  mph
                  > depending on wind, current and waves. That is a lot run time per gallon
                  and
                  > with gas at $4.10 I find myself being the sole vessel on the river more
                  > frequently than ever.
                  >
                  > What are your plans for the cabin, cockpit and deck layout?
                  >
                  > Caloosarat
                  >
                  > _____

                  (978) 282-1349
                  > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@
                  <mailto:bolger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                  > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_
                  <mailto:bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                  lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Sam Glasscock
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                    Harry, is your experiance with the Okume or the Meranti, or both?

                    Does great and you don't even need the barrier coat.

                    Recent Activity

                     2
                    New Members

                     2
                    New PhotosVisit Your Group

                    Y! Sports for TV
                    Game Day Companion
                    Live fantasy league
                    & game stats on TV.

                    Yahoo! Finance
                    It's Now Personal
                    Guides, news,
                    advice & more.

                    Curves on Yahoo!
                    Share & discuss
                    Curves, fitness
                    and weight loss.
                    .

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                      > burns 100 gallons of gas per trip. The charter fishing industry is dying, I
                      > think.

                      All the more reason that the new PB&F 'Blackfish' fuel efficient New
                      England fishing boat concept makes sense. They have hinted that they
                      have a version that uses a dipping lug sail for auxiliary power, have
                      the drawings been seen?
                    • echo172@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                        There are those who just like being envied and I think they will stay below at the dock with their marina mates and consume more beverages. A 2 million dollar sportfish with no fish isn't much of an investment.
                        There are fewer fish and to motivate trips it takes a pool of fuel donors and a report of action. My pals have been tied up more than "out front" for a few years. Now, I don't know they would do any fishing other than drifting.
                        A month ago I had a hard time finding a small outboard in the few hp range. They were getting lots of bids on ebay and the calls to dealers were unanswered or sold out.
                        Putt putt time.
                        I'd love an auxillary sail on a power boat.
                        Bruce in NJ

                        From: "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...>
                        > > burns 100 gallons of gas per trip. The charter fishing industry is dying, I
                        > > think.
                        >
                        > All the more reason that the new PB&F 'Blackfish' fuel efficient New
                        > England fishing boat concept makes sense. They have hinted that they
                        > have a version that uses a dipping lug sail for auxiliary power, have
                        > the drawings been seen?

                      • Harry James
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                          I believe meranti, whichever is cheaper. Bought from Edensaw, painted
                          with the System Three two pack, left outside since 2003.

                          The Yellow Gull has fiberglassed bottom only, still looks good.

                          HJ Juneau