Okume/meranti/fir

  • Sam Glasscock
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
      I am getting close to ordering the ply to build a Tennessee.  I am hoping to get away with sheathing only up to the waterline with epoxy/glass, and therefore am considering non-fir ply for the sides and decks/cabin tops.  Does anyone have experience with the ability of Meranti/Okume to withstand checking under an epoxy barrier coat and paint, without glass?   How is the durability/rot resistance of these woods as opposed to fir?  Thanks

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
        > ... durability/rot resistance of these woods as opposed to fir?

        It varies by 10x or more depending on whether you can store the boat
        under cover, and also depending on the climate.

        Have you considered MDO overlay plywood? That is what I would choose
        to economize and omit fiberglass. But, when I asked Phil Bolger this
        question for Topaz, he unequivocally advised against using MDO plywood
        and wrote advised that I should use epoxy & fiberglass sheathing.
      • Chester Young
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
          Did Phil explain his aversion to MDO? The only thing on Esther Mae that is
          MDO are the squat boards, while the worm borers have made their way into it
          from the edges the flat surfaces are holding up surprisingly well, no
          delaminating that I have noted.

          Sam: you have selected a truly great boat for protected waters. I am
          getting better than 10mpg running a 25hp four stroke that gets up to 18 mph
          depending on wind, current and waves. That is a lot run time per gallon and
          with gas at $4.10 I find myself being the sole vessel on the river more
          frequently than ever.

          What are your plans for the cabin, cockpit and deck layout?

          Caloosarat

          _____

          > ... durability/rot resistance of these woods as opposed to fir?

          It varies by 10x or more depending on whether you can store the boat
          under cover, and also depending on the climate.

          Have you considered MDO overlay plywood? That is what I would choose
          to economize and omit fiberglass. But, when I asked Phil Bolger this
          question for Topaz, he unequivocally advised against using MDO plywood
          and wrote advised that I should use epoxy & fiberglass sheathing.

        • gregory_west2001
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
            I built an "Elegant Punt" eight years ago and a "Surf" three years ago,
            both with Okoume marine BS1088 plywood from World Panel Products in
            Riviera Beach, Florida. Both boats are coated with one coat of West
            expoxy (with no fiberglass to keep them light) and painted with
            exterior latex. Both are also outside all the time in Florida weather
            (since we don't have a garage), and the Elegant Punt has been lying
            upside down less than twenty feet from the St. Augustine harbor chained
            to a log the entire time, sometimes with the tide just reaching it on a
            big northeastern. Neither has had any checking or rot issues, although
            they probably aren't much to look at.

            I think quality of the plywood is high, with no voids that I have
            seen. I am having ten more 6 mm sheets of it delivered this Thursday
            for a Selway-Fisher "Rose" that I am working on.
          • Sam Glasscock
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
              I am hoping to use her as an ecotour-type charter boat with a 9.9 four stroke, although with the mileage you are getting the bigger motor is tempting.  I plan to do a half-cabin (compared with the plans) extending the cockpit up through where Bolger drew the head/galley area.  I'll put a standing-hieght hardtop back to where Bolger drew the aft bulkhead of the cabin, and carry a canvas cover over a frame back to the after end of the cocckpit.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                I have a friend who has a Grady White 27' he uses for inshore charters.  He burns 100 gallons of gas per trip.  The charter fishing industry is dying, I think.  On the other hand, the Delmarva Peninsula (and other areas, I bet) is loaded with scenic, relatively unspoiled shallow rivers full of wildlife.  I am betting an inexpensive trip at six knots up a local river, spotting wildlife and watching the scenery, will appeal to people who would never pay to charter a fishing trip at the price captains are now forced to charge.  My hope, anyway.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Does great and you don't even need the barrier coat.

                  HJ

                  Sam Glasscock wrote:
                  > I am getting close to ordering the ply to build a Tennessee. I am hoping to get away with sheathing only up to the waterline with epoxy/glass, and therefore am considering non-fir ply for the sides and decks/cabin tops. Does anyone have experience with the ability of Meranti/Okume to withstand checking under an epoxy barrier coat and paint, without glass? How is the durability/rot resistance of these woods as opposed to fir? Thanks

                • David C.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                    If you're planning on taking passengers for hire, I bet the Coast Guard may have something to say about what materials you can and cannot use.

                    Things change when you go from personal use to commercial use.

                    ---- Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:
                    > I am hoping to use her as an ecotour-type charter boat with a 9.9 four stroke, although with the mileage you are getting the bigger motor is tempting. I plan to do a half-cabin (compared with the plans) extending the cockpit up through where Bolger drew the head/galley area. I'll put a standing-hieght hardtop back to where Bolger drew the aft bulkhead of the cabin, and carry a canvas cover over a frame back to the after end of the cocckpit.

                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                      I have been thinking about gas and Bolger designs. Fritz Funk made a
                      cruise in his Sneakeasy on the Mississippi a few years ago, 200 miles on
                      12 Gallons of gas. I live in a town where everybody has multiple boats
                      in their yard. The old plastic runabouts slowly disappear into the moss
                      and now you are starting to see the large older Tollies and Uniflites
                      with the twin Crusaders, Small blocks and 454's not get launched at all.
                      $300 to go on a day fishing trip will make anybody pause.

                      Harry James
                      Juneau

                      --snip--

                      > Sam: you have selected a truly great boat for protected waters. I am
                      > getting better than 10mpg running a 25hp four stroke that gets up to 18 mph
                      > depending on wind, current and waves. That is a lot run time per gallon and
                      > with gas at $4.10 I find myself being the sole vessel on the river more
                      > frequently than ever.
                      >

                      > What are your plans for the cabin, cockpit and deck layout?
                      >

                      > Caloosarat

                    • Chester Young
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                        There is or was a chartered Tennessee in the Keys. Capt, Linda did group
                        and private charters aboard Mangrove Mistress. My wife and I chartered with
                        her four years ago. It was then that I was totally hooked on getting a
                        Tennessee. I recall that she had all of her certifications for up to 6
                        passengers. Her comment was that the marina begrudgingly leased her a slip
                        as she used such small amounts of fuel that she did not contribute much to
                        the revenue stream. Her slip was so narrow that no other vessel in the
                        marina cold fit, it was against a far seawall and made you feel unwanted.
                        If she is still in business she is getting the last laugh at this point.

                        Caloosarat

                        _____

                        ---- Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@ <mailto:glasscocklanding%40yahoo.com>

                        <mailto:chester%40hanswilson.com> com> wrote:

                        > From: Chester Young <chester@hanswilson. <mailto:chester%40hanswilson.com>
                        com>
                        > Subject: RE: [bolger] Okume/meranti/fir
                        > To: bolger@yahoogroups. <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> com
                        > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
                        >

                        > Did Phil explain his aversion to MDO? The only thing on Esther Mae that is
                        > MDO are the squat boards, while the worm borers have made their way into
                        it
                        > from the edges the flat surfaces are holding up surprisingly well, no
                        > delaminating that I have noted.
                        >
                        > Sam: you have selected a truly great boat for protected waters. I am
                        > getting better than 10mpg running a 25hp four stroke that gets up to 18
                        mph
                        > depending on wind, current and waves. That is a lot run time per gallon
                        and
                        > with gas at $4.10 I find myself being the sole vessel on the river more
                        > frequently than ever.
                        >
                        > What are your plans for the cabin, cockpit and deck layout?
                        >
                        > Caloosarat
                        >
                        > _____

                        (978) 282-1349
                        > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@
                        <mailto:bolger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                        > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_
                        <mailto:bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                        lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Sam Glasscock
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                          Harry, is your experiance with the Okume or the Meranti, or both?

                          Does great and you don't even need the barrier coat.

                          Recent Activity

                           2
                          New Members

                           2
                          New PhotosVisit Your Group

                          Y! Sports for TV
                          Game Day Companion
                          Live fantasy league
                          & game stats on TV.

                          Yahoo! Finance
                          It's Now Personal
                          Guides, news,
                          advice & more.

                          Curves on Yahoo!
                          Share & discuss
                          Curves, fitness
                          and weight loss.
                          .

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                            > burns 100 gallons of gas per trip. The charter fishing industry is dying, I
                            > think.

                            All the more reason that the new PB&F 'Blackfish' fuel efficient New
                            England fishing boat concept makes sense. They have hinted that they
                            have a version that uses a dipping lug sail for auxiliary power, have
                            the drawings been seen?
                          • echo172@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                              There are those who just like being envied and I think they will stay below at the dock with their marina mates and consume more beverages. A 2 million dollar sportfish with no fish isn't much of an investment.
                              There are fewer fish and to motivate trips it takes a pool of fuel donors and a report of action. My pals have been tied up more than "out front" for a few years. Now, I don't know they would do any fishing other than drifting.
                              A month ago I had a hard time finding a small outboard in the few hp range. They were getting lots of bids on ebay and the calls to dealers were unanswered or sold out.
                              Putt putt time.
                              I'd love an auxillary sail on a power boat.
                              Bruce in NJ

                              From: "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...>
                              > > burns 100 gallons of gas per trip. The charter fishing industry is dying, I
                              > > think.
                              >
                              > All the more reason that the new PB&F 'Blackfish' fuel efficient New
                              > England fishing boat concept makes sense. They have hinted that they
                              > have a version that uses a dipping lug sail for auxiliary power, have
                              > the drawings been seen?

                            • Harry James
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1, 2008
                                I believe meranti, whichever is cheaper. Bought from Edensaw, painted
                                with the System Three two pack, left outside since 2003.

                                The Yellow Gull has fiberglassed bottom only, still looks good.

                                HJ Juneau