Solstice Messabout

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2008
      Last weekend my sailing skiff, Pickle, and I attended the annual solstice
      messabout on Fisherman's Slough and Caterpillar Island, a little
      downstream from Vancouver, Wash., on the Columbia.

      http://www.dragonwall.net/summer-solstice-messabout/

      The river was high, and running strong, so our usual camping beach on the
      island wasn't there, but we gathered on the docks and had a great time
      anyway (a few brave souls camped over on the river side of the island,
      where they were awakened throughout the night by the throbbing engines and
      pounding wakes of passing ships and towboats). Friday and Saturdat the
      breeze was blowing _down_ river, which spoiled the sailing if you were'nt
      trying for a quick passage to St. Helens; it'd take a darn weatherly boat
      to make much progress tacking upstream! <g> But Sunday the wind got back
      to normal, for the summer, and blew upriver, so I got in a good sail. The
      strong current sure makes beating upwind nice! :o) But it was slow going
      get back up the river even with a following breeze.<g> Here are some
      photos:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157605761327936/

      --
      John <jkohnen@...>
      Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.