Diablo: total makeover

  • Maximo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2008
      Some modifications on my Diablo: change the seats (and frames)
      configuration, fiberglass on all the interior and seats, paint with gelcoat
      on the inside and outside, lights, etc.

      http://www.promax.com.ar/mendieta2008.jpg

      Regards, Máximo.
    • malcolmf
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
        Maximo wrote:

        > Some modifications on my Diablo: change the seats (and frames)
        > configuration, fiberglass on all the interior and seats, paint with
        > gelcoat
        > on the inside and outside, lights, etc.
        >
        > http://www.promax com.ar/mendieta2 008.jpg
        > <http://www.promax.com.ar/mendieta2008.jpg>
        >
        > Regards, Máximo.

        Nice looking piece of work, Máximo
        Malcolm

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
          Maximo,

          I really like your wood work, gives your Diablo real eye appeal. I too
          have similar seating in my Diablo. Here is what mine looked like when
          first built about four years ago http://tinyurl.com/4lsy42 Power was a
          pair of Pacer/Briggs & Stratton water pumps. That setup was fun to look
          at, but not practical. I now power her with a 1957 18hp Evinrude. This
          is a pic taken a few weeks ago http://tinyurl.com/46vzkd Mine is no
          where as nice as yours, but you can tell from the beat up paint and
          unpainted plywood that she gets used often. The Diablo is a real
          workhorse!

          Dan
          Aurora Oregon

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

          > Some modifications on my Diablo: change the seats (and frames)
          > configuration, fiberglass on all the interior and seats, paint with
          gelcoat
          > on the inside and outside, lights, etc.
          >
          > http://www.promax.com.ar/mendieta2008.jpg
          >
          > Regards, Máximo.

        • Maximo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
            Thank you Malcom and Dan.
            Dan, how is your speed or performance with your 18 hp?

            Máximo
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
              Maximo,

              I have not tried too many different outboards on my Diablo, but the
              18hp seems to be a good match. Here is a 34 second video of my friend
              and I motoring in the Columbia river near Portland Oregon with the 18hp
              Evinrude:
              http://tinyurl.com/46ztpa
              Motor is a short shaft, so when I'm up on plane, the exhaust is out of
              the water. Really need to find a long shaft extention for it.

              Best speed I can get is 19 mph with only me onboard. Speed goes down as
              load increases.

              What do you power your Diablo with?

              Regards,
              Dan

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

              > Thank you Malcom and Dan.
              > Dan, how is your speed or performance with your 18 hp?
              >
              > Máximo

            • Maximo
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
                I tested my Diablo with a 1979 aprox. 10 HP 4 stroke Honda, long shaft.
                About 11 knots with only me, down to 5 knots with 3 heavy friends :)

                Máximo
              • Kristine Bennett
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
                  Dan I have a 18 hp OMC  outboard that is a long shaft with no powerhead... I'm not going to be doing anything with it.
                  A guy here on the island also has a 18 HP Johnson longshaft  complete for sale as well I'll have to ask him but I think he was asking 200 for it. I'm going to guess it to be about a 1957 or 59.
                  Let me know  and we could set something up.
                  Blessings Kriss
                  I have not tried too many different outboards on my Diablo, but the

                  18hp seems to be a good match. Here is a 34 second video of my friend

                  and I motoring in the Columbia river near Portland Oregon with the 18hp

                  Evinrude:

                  http://tinyurl. com/46ztpa

                  Motor is a short shaft, so when I'm up on plane, the exhaust is out of

                  the water. Really need to find a long shaft extention for it.

                  Best speed I can get is 19 mph with only me onboard. Speed goes down as

                  load increases.

                  What do you power your Diablo with?

                  Regards,

                  Dan

                  _,_._,___

                • dnjost
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
                    I used a 9.9 longshaft 2 cycle Johnson.
                    It had me at 15 mph measured over a mile with 2 people on board (300
                    lbs).

                    A test with the 9.9 Honda 4 cycle yielded a significantly lower speed
                    barely planing with the same load. The weight of the motor, and prop
                    match were the blame.

                    Beautiful boat, congratulations. I hope to do some more work on the
                    18' clamskiff in my garage, this will be the Diablo replacement.

                    David