Re: [bolger] Woodenboat No. 26:40

  • chris
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
      month year?????

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "G Carlson" <ghartc@...>
      To: <bolger@egroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2000 11:31 PM
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Woodenboat No. 26:40

      > Can anyone part with this issue (26:40) covering Herreschoff's Rozinante?
      >
      > (There are other issues of similar interest including "Red Head" 123:58
      > 124:6 114:32 and 56:38)
      >
      > Thanks, Gregg Carlson

      > Free, Unlimited Calls Anywhere!
      > Visit Firetalk.com - click below.

      > - no cursing
      > - stay on topic
      > - use punctuation

    • Jim Goeckermann
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
        Greg,
        Would a copy of that article do, or a loan of the magazine so that you can
        read something, or do you just want to have your own?
        Jim

        G Carlson wrote:

        > Can anyone part with this issue (26:40) covering Herreschoff's Rozinante?
        >
        > (There are other issues of similar interest including "Red Head" 123:58
        > 124:6 114:32 and 56:38)
        >
        > Thanks, Gregg Carlson

        > Free, Unlimited Calls Anywhere!
        > Visit Firetalk.com - click below.

        > - no cursing
        > - stay on topic
        > - use punctuation
      • Lincoln Ross
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2, 2000
          Just recalled re an extruder that we use at work. I won't tell you
          the
          name of his outfit because I don't know if he'd appreciate the extra
          business just now. Try to find an extrusion place far from
          electronics
          firms. If I recall, extrusion dies don't cost very much these days, I
          think less than $1k. I'll bet if 10 Micro builders got together you
          could (if one of you was a mechanical engineering type order a die,
          with the size correct and a bolt rope groove or (aluminum) track
          integral, and have masts made up. Of course there would be no taper.
          have a suspicion there is something wrong with this notion, but I
          don't know what.

          Red Zinger uses a flagpole mast these days.
          snip
        • Roger Dewhurst
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2000
            I have calculated the euler load on various lengths of aluminium tube of
            different diameters. I have used a recent version of a Works for Windows
            spreadsheet. Euler theory is commonly used to calculate the stress on end
            loaded spars, which a stayed mast is.