Re: [bolger] Re: Aluminium masts

  • chris
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
      hi Guys.. Greg It is funny that you mention the aerospace Industry... I
      just got Three mast ( poles) myself from my brother in law that works at a
      large ( multinational) aluminum extruder.. they supply aluminum tubing for
      areospace and airline manufactures ... the tubes that I got were a mixture
      of aluminum-titanium-magnesium (spelling?) they were seconds that were going
      for scrap. they are 28 feet long- 3 1/2 inches in diameter- and .132 walls.
      they were suppose to be .125, that is why they were heading for the scrap
      pile... I paid 120 bucks for all three ( one dollar a pound) I sold one to
      Dave Gray for "foolhardy" and am keeping the other two for my Light Schooner
      ( when I get aroung to building it)
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
        month year?????

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
          Greg,
          Would a copy of that article do, or a loan of the magazine so that you can
          read something, or do you just want to have your own?
          Jim

          G Carlson wrote:

          > Can anyone part with this issue (26:40) covering Herreschoff's Rozinante?
          >
          > (There are other issues of similar interest including "Red Head" 123:58
          > 124:6 114:32 and 56:38)
          >
          > Thanks, Gregg Carlson

          > Free, Unlimited Calls Anywhere!
          > Visit Firetalk.com - click below.

          > - no cursing
          > - stay on topic
          > - use punctuation
        • Lincoln Ross
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2000
            Just recalled re an extruder that we use at work. I won't tell you
            the
            name of his outfit because I don't know if he'd appreciate the extra
            business just now. Try to find an extrusion place far from
            electronics
            firms. If I recall, extrusion dies don't cost very much these days, I
            think less than $1k. I'll bet if 10 Micro builders got together you
            could (if one of you was a mechanical engineering type order a die,
            with the size correct and a bolt rope groove or (aluminum) track
            integral, and have masts made up. Of course there would be no taper.
            have a suspicion there is something wrong with this notion, but I
            don't know what.

            Red Zinger uses a flagpole mast these days.
            snip
          • Roger Dewhurst
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2000
              I have calculated the euler load on various lengths of aluminium tube of
              different diameters. I have used a recent version of a Works for Windows
              spreadsheet. Euler theory is commonly used to calculate the stress on end
              loaded spars, which a stayed mast is.