Re: [bolger] Woodenboat No. 26:40

  • G Carlson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
      Can anyone part with this issue (26:40) covering Herreschoff's Rozinante?

      (There are other issues of similar interest including "Red Head" 123:58
      124:6 114:32 and 56:38)

      Thanks, Gregg Carlson
    • chris
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
        hi Guys.. Greg It is funny that you mention the aerospace Industry... I
        just got Three mast ( poles) myself from my brother in law that works at a
        large ( multinational) aluminum extruder.. they supply aluminum tubing for
        areospace and airline manufactures ... the tubes that I got were a mixture
        of aluminum-titanium-magnesium (spelling?) they were seconds that were going
        for scrap. they are 28 feet long- 3 1/2 inches in diameter- and .132 walls.
        they were suppose to be .125, that is why they were heading for the scrap
        pile... I paid 120 bucks for all three ( one dollar a pound) I sold one to
        Dave Gray for "foolhardy" and am keeping the other two for my Light Schooner
        ( when I get aroung to building it)
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
          month year?????

          > Can anyone part with this issue (26:40) covering Herreschoff's Rozinante?
          >
          > (There are other issues of similar interest including "Red Head" 123:58
          > 124:6 114:32 and 56:38)
          >
          > Thanks, Gregg Carlson

          > Free, Unlimited Calls Anywhere!
          > Visit Firetalk.com - click below.

          > - no cursing
          > - stay on topic
          > - use punctuation

        • Jim Goeckermann
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
            Greg,
            Would a copy of that article do, or a loan of the magazine so that you can
            read something, or do you just want to have your own?
            Jim

            G Carlson wrote:

            > Can anyone part with this issue (26:40) covering Herreschoff's Rozinante?
            >
            > (There are other issues of similar interest including "Red Head" 123:58
            > 124:6 114:32 and 56:38)
            >
            > Thanks, Gregg Carlson

            > Free, Unlimited Calls Anywhere!
            > Visit Firetalk.com - click below.

            > - no cursing
            > - stay on topic
            > - use punctuation
          • Lincoln Ross
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2000
              Just recalled re an extruder that we use at work. I won't tell you
              the
              name of his outfit because I don't know if he'd appreciate the extra
              business just now. Try to find an extrusion place far from
              electronics
              firms. If I recall, extrusion dies don't cost very much these days, I
              think less than $1k. I'll bet if 10 Micro builders got together you
              could (if one of you was a mechanical engineering type order a die,
              with the size correct and a bolt rope groove or (aluminum) track
              integral, and have masts made up. Of course there would be no taper.
              have a suspicion there is something wrong with this notion, but I
              don't know what.

              Red Zinger uses a flagpole mast these days.
              snip
            • Roger Dewhurst
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2000
                I have calculated the euler load on various lengths of aluminium tube of
                different diameters. I have used a recent version of a Works for Windows
                spreadsheet. Euler theory is commonly used to calculate the stress on end
                loaded spars, which a stayed mast is.