Re: [bolger] Re: Aluminium masts

  • G Carlson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
      You're right, "brittle" is overstated, 2024-T6 and 6061-T6 are good stuff.
      So, probably, are 6063 and 7075.

      I believe the flag poles are anodized, or available with. I think, in
      practice, you'll probably take what you can get - no choice at all on
      flagpole materials. In fact, the scope and properties across vendors were
      so identical there's probably a single manufacturer.

      I was really surprised actually by the scarcity and expense of precision
      tubing, and there's a fair amount of aerospace acitivity here (Tulsa, OK).

      Anyway, my spars have been excellent - light, hollow - less windage and
      weight aloft, but there's been little relative interest in doing it this
      way, for some reason. Oh well.

      As an aside, I am have been looking for a trapeze set to set off the
      scooner's main mast - should be fun.

      Gregg Carlson

      >--- In bolger@egroups.com, GHC <ghartc@p...> wrote:
      >> snip
      >> T6 is a common temper, but is, of course brittle.
      >Depends on what you mean by brittle. Of course if you do all sorts of
      >forming it will crack, but I think in use it probably won't. I have a
      >25 year old bicycle frame from 6061 T6 (tempered after welding) that
      >has been crashed at least twice without damage (to the frame, I'm not
      >talking about me or the wheels).
      >
      >I suspect you need to consider corrosion properties of different
      >alloys. I recall that 2024 is not so great for this, and that there
      >are specific marine alloys.

      >Lonely? Get Firetalk!
      >Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
      >Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.
      >
      >Bolger rules!!!
      >- no cursing
      >- stay on topic
      >- use punctuation
      >- add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
    • G Carlson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
        Can anyone part with this issue (26:40) covering Herreschoff's Rozinante?

        (There are other issues of similar interest including "Red Head" 123:58
        124:6 114:32 and 56:38)

        Thanks, Gregg Carlson
      • chris
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
          hi Guys.. Greg It is funny that you mention the aerospace Industry... I
          just got Three mast ( poles) myself from my brother in law that works at a
          large ( multinational) aluminum extruder.. they supply aluminum tubing for
          areospace and airline manufactures ... the tubes that I got were a mixture
          of aluminum-titanium-magnesium (spelling?) they were seconds that were going
          for scrap. they are 28 feet long- 3 1/2 inches in diameter- and .132 walls.
          they were suppose to be .125, that is why they were heading for the scrap
          pile... I paid 120 bucks for all three ( one dollar a pound) I sold one to
          Dave Gray for "foolhardy" and am keeping the other two for my Light Schooner
          ( when I get aroung to building it)
          > You're right, "brittle" is overstated, 2024-T6 and 6061-T6 are good stuff.
          > So, probably, are 6063 and 7075.
          >
          > I believe the flag poles are anodized, or available with. I think, in
          > practice, you'll probably take what you can get - no choice at all on
          > flagpole materials. In fact, the scope and properties across vendors were
          > so identical there's probably a single manufacturer.
          >
          > I was really surprised actually by the scarcity and expense of precision
          > tubing, and there's a fair amount of aerospace acitivity here (Tulsa, OK).
          >
          > Anyway, my spars have been excellent - light, hollow - less windage and
          > weight aloft, but there's been little relative interest in doing it this
          > way, for some reason. Oh well.
          >
          > As an aside, I am have been looking for a trapeze set to set off the
          > scooner's main mast - should be fun.
          >
          > Gregg Carlson
          >

          > >--- In bolger@egroups.com, GHC <ghartc@p...> wrote:
          > >> snip
          > >> T6 is a common temper, but is, of course brittle.
          > >Depends on what you mean by brittle. Of course if you do all sorts of
          > >forming it will crack, but I think in use it probably won't. I have a
          > >25 year old bicycle frame from 6061 T6 (tempered after welding) that
          > >has been crashed at least twice without damage (to the frame, I'm not
          > >talking about me or the wheels).
          > >
          > >I suspect you need to consider corrosion properties of different
          > >alloys. I recall that 2024 is not so great for this, and that there
          > >are specific marine alloys.

          > >Lonely? Get Firetalk!
          > >Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
          > >Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.
          > >
          > >Bolger rules!!!
          > >- no cursing
          > >- stay on topic
          > >- use punctuation
          > >- add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts
          > >- add some content: send "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.

          > CLICK HERE AND START SAVING ON LONG DISTANCE BILLS TODAY!

          > - no cursing
          > - stay on topic
          > - use punctuation

        • chris
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
            month year?????

            > Can anyone part with this issue (26:40) covering Herreschoff's Rozinante?
            >
            > (There are other issues of similar interest including "Red Head" 123:58
            > 124:6 114:32 and 56:38)
            >
            > Thanks, Gregg Carlson

            > Free, Unlimited Calls Anywhere!
            > Visit Firetalk.com - click below.

            > - no cursing
            > - stay on topic
            > - use punctuation

          • Jim Goeckermann
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 1, 2000
              Greg,
              Would a copy of that article do, or a loan of the magazine so that you can
              read something, or do you just want to have your own?
              Jim

              G Carlson wrote:

              > Can anyone part with this issue (26:40) covering Herreschoff's Rozinante?
              >
              > (There are other issues of similar interest including "Red Head" 123:58
              > 124:6 114:32 and 56:38)
              >
              > Thanks, Gregg Carlson

              > Free, Unlimited Calls Anywhere!
              > Visit Firetalk.com - click below.

              > - no cursing
              > - stay on topic
              > - use punctuation
            • Lincoln Ross
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2000
                Just recalled re an extruder that we use at work. I won't tell you
                the
                name of his outfit because I don't know if he'd appreciate the extra
                business just now. Try to find an extrusion place far from
                electronics
                firms. If I recall, extrusion dies don't cost very much these days, I
                think less than $1k. I'll bet if 10 Micro builders got together you
                could (if one of you was a mechanical engineering type order a die,
                with the size correct and a bolt rope groove or (aluminum) track
                integral, and have masts made up. Of course there would be no taper.
                have a suspicion there is something wrong with this notion, but I
                don't know what.

                Red Zinger uses a flagpole mast these days.
                snip
              • Roger Dewhurst
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2000
                  I have calculated the euler load on various lengths of aluminium tube of
                  different diameters. I have used a recent version of a Works for Windows
                  spreadsheet. Euler theory is commonly used to calculate the stress on end
                  loaded spars, which a stayed mast is.