Re: [bolger] Re: Question on Single Handed Schooner Rigging....

  • Patrick Crockett
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 8, 2008
      Gene:

      Rather than fastening the weights at the bottom, you could slide in a
      balsa (or other light wood) plug on top of the lead to secure it -- have
      a couple grooves in the balsa for cables attached to the lead to pull it
      back out.

      There would definitely be some engineering around making the shell
      structurally sound. A fun problem for an engineer, I'd think -- create
      adequate strength while leaving room to slide in the lead. That's where
      the "higher tech" comes in.

      Patrick

      Gene Tehansky wrote:
      > Patrick,
      > I like the idea of sliding the weights down into the hollow keel.
      > They would need to be secured at the bottom. This would require
      > building an internally very precise keel structure. I think a bit of
      > engineering would be involved. Once it is assembled I'd want to run
      > into things with it! Well, I would! Possibly on the next one! At
      > the moment, my fingers are sore from sewing on the sails!
      >
      > Gene T.
      >
      > On 8 Jun, 2008, at 2:09 PM, Patrick Crockett wrote:
      >
      >> For a higher tech solution, how about a 1/4" plywood hollow board with
      >> two slide-in lead weights? Would require that the weights be faired
      >> for
      >> a snug fit, but it would solve the joining problem.

    • Christopher C. Wetherill
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 10, 2008
        The very same. I grew up knocking around in a variety of boats. Used a
        lot of shear pins over the years. My Dad's 30' Dickerson at 3.5 feet
        draft (IIRC) was as deep a keel as I would want to run there for any
        length of time.