Re: [bolger] Martha Jane ballast

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
      Ed,

      Thinking you might be right, I wonder if you're experience
      shows 15 degrees heel is optimum for the type?

      Happy the Post Office isn't as slow with my paychecks as
      with MAIB,
      Mark

      edward haile wrote:

      > In my opinion, if the MJ has too much ballast she will not heel properly on
      > the wind in a blow, hence will pound excessively. My route is to lighten her
      > aloft first.
      >
      > ED HAILE
      > Martha Jane "Terrapin"
      >
      > >From: col_mooney@...
      > >To: bolger@egroups.com
      > >Subject: [bolger] Martha Jane ballast
      > >Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:44:41 -0000
      > >

      > >I have been following the ballast discussion with interest, i.e. more
      > >is better, but I'd like to keep my intended MJ as light as possible
      > >for trailering. I'm still unsure if I want to increase the ballast,
      > >I have sailed on a MJ built from the original plans and thought she
      > >was great. If I do decide to build mine with more ballast, would
      > >there be any drawbacks in stretching the water ballast tanks to give
      > >an equivalent water weight to that proposed for solid ballast? I
      > >haven't read the MAIB discussion on the updates yet, maybe its
      > >mentioned in there, but until then, can someone outline any pro's or
      > >cons?
      > >
      > > Col Mooney

      > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.

      > - no cursing
      > - stay on topic
      > - use punctuation
    • edward haile
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
        Dear Mark,

        Yes I think fifteen degrees is exactly right closehauled, but she sails
        there most of the day at ten.