Re: Leeboard Catboat

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@...> wrote:

      > I have been perusing BWAOM and came across the Leeboard Catboat
      > (Chapter 67, page 358) and was quite taken with the design.

      I'm not sure if you got an answer on this. At least one boat was built
      to the Leeboard Catboat design. It was from the west coast of the US,
      and very nicely done. Pictures were printed in Messing About in Boats,
      but I can't give you the date of publication. I don't remember if
      there was a report on the sailing performance, but anyone interested
      in a traditional cruiser shouldn't expect to keep up with the modern
      race boats.

      If you know about catboats at all, you know that 1) the centerboard
      dominates the cabin of the usual Cape Cod Cat designs, and 2) many are
      very low inside. The boat is high-sided and doesn't have a
      centerboard, so I'm sure the cabin would be a revelation to the
      traditional catboater.
    • mannthree
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
        Thank you Peter for the response and information

        John