Leeboard Catboat

  • mannthree
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
      I have been perusing BWAOM and came across the Leeboard Catboat
      (Chapter 67, page 358) and was quite taken with the design. I
      searched previous posts to get some idea of discussion on this boat.
      My question for the more knowledgeable members is; Are there any
      photos etc of a "live" boat. There was some discussion in previous
      posts, but the link to photos did not work. Also has anuone out there
      with personal experiemce of sailing the boat and/or living aboard.
      Bolger indicates that the fiction written for this boat was based on
      his own live-aboard experience (presumably on a boat of his own
      design, ? AS29). Thanks in advance,

      Cheers

      John
    • mannthree
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
        >Thanks Harry

        John

        > Bolger's Resolution
        >
        > http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/ResolutionPage.html
        >
        > HJ
        >
        > mannthree wrote:
        > > I have been perusing BWAOM and came across the Leeboard Catboat
        > > (Chapter 67, page 358) and was quite taken with the design. I
        > > searched previous posts to get some idea of discussion on this boat.
        > > My question for the more knowledgeable members is; Are there any
        > > photos etc of a "live" boat. There was some discussion in previous
        > > posts, but the link to photos did not work. Also has anuone out there
        > > with personal experiemce of sailing the boat and/or living aboard.
        > > Bolger indicates that the fiction written for this boat was based on
        > > his own live-aboard experience (presumably on a boat of his own
        > > design, ? AS29). Thanks in advance,
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > >
        > > John

      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008

          mannthree wrote:
          > I have been perusing BWAOM and came across the Leeboard Catboat
          > (Chapter 67, page 358) and was quite taken with the design. I
          > searched previous posts to get some idea of discussion on this boat.
          > My question for the more knowledgeable members is; Are there any
          > photos etc of a "live" boat. There was some discussion in previous
          > posts, but the link to photos did not work. Also has anuone out there
          > with personal experiemce of sailing the boat and/or living aboard.
          > Bolger indicates that the fiction written for this boat was based on
          > his own live-aboard experience (presumably on a boat of his own
          > design, ? AS29). Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > John

        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@...> wrote:

            > I have been perusing BWAOM and came across the Leeboard Catboat
            > (Chapter 67, page 358) and was quite taken with the design.

            I'm not sure if you got an answer on this. At least one boat was built
            to the Leeboard Catboat design. It was from the west coast of the US,
            and very nicely done. Pictures were printed in Messing About in Boats,
            but I can't give you the date of publication. I don't remember if
            there was a report on the sailing performance, but anyone interested
            in a traditional cruiser shouldn't expect to keep up with the modern
            race boats.

            If you know about catboats at all, you know that 1) the centerboard
            dominates the cabin of the usual Cape Cod Cat designs, and 2) many are
            very low inside. The boat is high-sided and doesn't have a
            centerboard, so I'm sure the cabin would be a revelation to the
            traditional catboater.
          • mannthree
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
              Thank you Peter for the response and information

              John