RE: [bolger] Re:Motor bracket for a June Bug

  • Michael Galvin
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2008
      I used a group 24 deep cycle battery, sold at a local Dunham's sporting
      goods store, under the Minn Kota brand name, for about $70.

      I set the battery in a plastic battery case, set on the hull, just forward
      of the middle seat. I intend to permanently screw in a strap for the
      battery case somewhere forward, once I've figured out the best position. I
      need weight forward to counteract my weight on the rear seat.

      I extended the wires provided with the motor, with about 10 feet of 14 gauge
      duplex wire. I am a little concerned that that 10 feet of wire may add
      significant resistance to the circuit.

      I can't tell you yet how far I can go with one charge. We motored for about
      an hour and a half today. I didn't have a GPS with me to measure our speed
      and distance. We had the "throttle" wide open sometimes, other times just
      putting along slowly. I'll write another message here in this thread after
      I've used the set-up a few times and have a better feel for things.

      Can anyone suggest a good way for me to test my set-up's endurance? I think
      you'd have to control for wind and wave action and boat speed to make any
      meaningful statement. I don't have a means to measure my battery's state of
      charge, either. Anyone have a suggestion for that? A simple hygrometer,
      perhaps?

      Mike Galvin

      Muskegon, Michigan

      mgalvin.com/boatbuilding has items of interest to Bolgerphiles

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2008
        Go to Glen-L and take a look at thier trolling moter powered kayak.
        Much neater layout.

        Poweryak
        http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=484

        electric trolling motor mount and bracket
        http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=473

        This is my first post, so be gentle.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2008
          Well, the trolling motor remote setup in my photos is of the Mark I model.
          Next time I do it, it'll probably look neater! ;o) The Glen-L trolling
          motor remote control _is_ a neater layout than mine though (a friend of
          mine did something similar using drag links), but it's thoroughly built
          into the boat. The advantage of my layout is that it's completely
          portable, so it can be removed when the boat is used for other purposes,
          or swapped between boats. Glen-L and I came up with solutions to different
          problems.

          Is that gentle enough, Warren? Thanks for telling us about the Glen-L
          trolling motor remote control layout. Don't be afraid to post again! <g>

          --
          John <jkohnen@...>
          All the troubles of man come from his not knowing how to sit