RE: [bolger] Re:Motor bracket for a June Bug

  • Michael Galvin
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2008
      I did make a bracket to mount a trolling motor on my Junebug. I used 2 x 4
      lumber, and 2 3-inch C-clamps. I bought a 30 lb. thrust Minn Kota Endura 30
      locally for $100. I've posted a few photos on my web site, which I think
      are self-explanatory.

      The motor and set-up work beautifully. Today my wife and I quietly motored
      up a small creek and snuck up on a pair of nesting swans and a bunch of
      sunbathing turtles. I'll try to post some photos of the motor in action
      later.

      For the photos, go to http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug
      <http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug%20Motor%20Bracket> Motor Bracket

      Mike Galvin

      Muskegon, Michigan

      mgalvin.com/boatbuilding has items of interest to Bolgerphiles

    • Michael Galvin
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2008
        I used a group 24 deep cycle battery, sold at a local Dunham's sporting
        goods store, under the Minn Kota brand name, for about $70.

        I set the battery in a plastic battery case, set on the hull, just forward
        of the middle seat. I intend to permanently screw in a strap for the
        battery case somewhere forward, once I've figured out the best position. I
        need weight forward to counteract my weight on the rear seat.

        I extended the wires provided with the motor, with about 10 feet of 14 gauge
        duplex wire. I am a little concerned that that 10 feet of wire may add
        significant resistance to the circuit.

        I can't tell you yet how far I can go with one charge. We motored for about
        an hour and a half today. I didn't have a GPS with me to measure our speed
        and distance. We had the "throttle" wide open sometimes, other times just
        putting along slowly. I'll write another message here in this thread after
        I've used the set-up a few times and have a better feel for things.

        Can anyone suggest a good way for me to test my set-up's endurance? I think
        you'd have to control for wind and wave action and boat speed to make any
        meaningful statement. I don't have a means to measure my battery's state of
        charge, either. Anyone have a suggestion for that? A simple hygrometer,
        perhaps?

        Mike Galvin

        Muskegon, Michigan

        mgalvin.com/boatbuilding has items of interest to Bolgerphiles

        Did you have the Battery in the back compartment and what did you use, a
        group 27? How long does it give you?

        HJ

        Michael Galvin wrote:
        > I did make a bracket to mount a trolling motor on my Junebug. I used 2 x 4
        > lumber, and 2 3-inch C-clamps. I bought a 30 lb. thrust Minn Kota Endura
        30
        > locally for $100. I've posted a few photos on my web site, which I think
        > are self-explanatory.
        >
        > The motor and set-up work beautifully. Today my wife and I quietly motored
        > up a small creek and snuck up on a pair of nesting swans and a bunch of
        > sunbathing turtles. I'll try to post some photos of the motor in action
        > later.
        >
        > For the photos, go to http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug
        > <http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug%20Motor%20Bracket> Motor Bracket
        >

        > Mike Galvin
        >
        > Muskegon, Michigan
        >
        > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding has items of interest to Bolgerphiles

        > ------------------------------------

        horses
        (978) 282-1349
        <mailto:bolger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com> Yahoo! Groups
        Links

      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2008

          Michael Galvin wrote:
          > I did make a bracket to mount a trolling motor on my Junebug. I used 2 x 4
          > lumber, and 2 3-inch C-clamps. I bought a 30 lb. thrust Minn Kota Endura 30
          > locally for $100. I've posted a few photos on my web site, which I think
          > are self-explanatory.
          >
          > The motor and set-up work beautifully. Today my wife and I quietly motored
          > up a small creek and snuck up on a pair of nesting swans and a bunch of
          > sunbathing turtles. I'll try to post some photos of the motor in action
          > later.
          >
          > For the photos, go to http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug
          > <http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug%20Motor%20Bracket> Motor Bracket
          >

          > Mike Galvin
          >
          > Muskegon, Michigan
          >
          > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding has items of interest to Bolgerphiles

        • Warren Acrey
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2008
            Go to Glen-L and take a look at thier trolling moter powered kayak.
            Much neater layout.

            Poweryak
            http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=484

            electric trolling motor mount and bracket
            http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=473

            This is my first post, so be gentle.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2008
              Well, the trolling motor remote setup in my photos is of the Mark I model.
              Next time I do it, it'll probably look neater! ;o) The Glen-L trolling
              motor remote control _is_ a neater layout than mine though (a friend of
              mine did something similar using drag links), but it's thoroughly built
              into the boat. The advantage of my layout is that it's completely
              portable, so it can be removed when the boat is used for other purposes,
              or swapped between boats. Glen-L and I came up with solutions to different
              problems.

              Is that gentle enough, Warren? Thanks for telling us about the Glen-L
              trolling motor remote control layout. Don't be afraid to post again! <g>

              --
              John <jkohnen@...>
              All the troubles of man come from his not knowing how to sit