Re: Tools for Nicopress? - - {bolger] Digest Number 3971}

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2008
      > 6a. Re: Tools for Nicopress?
      > Posted by: "Bob Cavenagh" cavenaghr@... smallboatexplorer
      > Date: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:22 pm ((PST))
      {snip}
      > Go to Lowe's, find their galvanized wire section, and you should also find
      > a Chinese clone of the regular leveraction Nicopress tool. . . . will
      > cost $20-30.

      Bob,

      Although when I re-rigged my Potter P-19 I had used SWAGED terminations for
      the turnbuckles, I always thought it would be handy to have an alternative
      for emergencies, etc.

      Now that I have a P-15 to refurbish, I wanted to put a 'quick-release' on
      the forestay. The rig tensions wouldn't be that high, so the 'standard'
      crimping terminations were fine. BUT . . . $100+ for a possible
      'one-time-only' use ?? NOT Bloody Likely!

      So, when I read your comment I jumped on it. However, I didn't see anything
      at my local Lowes. I kept checking every time I went there. Finally, I saw a
      'shelf-box' . . . EMPTY! Speaking with a 'clerk' {seemingly knowledgeable -
      for a change!} . . . they were a regular item and would be re-ordered . . .
      at some time.

      Last week they were there, and I grabbed one of the LAST two!! . . . at $27
      & change. THAT's my price !!

      So . . . here is a late but BIG . . . 'THANK YOU !!'

      Regards,
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop