Re: [bolger] Martha Jane ballast

  • edward haile
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 2:14 PM
      In my opinion, if the MJ has too much ballast she will not heel properly on
      the wind in a blow, hence will pound excessively. My route is to lighten her
      aloft first.

      ED HAILE
      Martha Jane "Terrapin"

      >From: col_mooney@...
      >To: bolger@egroups.com
      >Subject: [bolger] Martha Jane ballast
      >Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:44:41 -0000
      >

      >I have been following the ballast discussion with interest, i.e. more
      >is better, but I'd like to keep my intended MJ as light as possible
      >for trailering. I'm still unsure if I want to increase the ballast,
      >I have sailed on a MJ built from the original plans and thought she
      >was great. If I do decide to build mine with more ballast, would
      >there be any drawbacks in stretching the water ballast tanks to give
      >an equivalent water weight to that proposed for solid ballast? I
      >haven't read the MAIB discussion on the updates yet, maybe its
      >mentioned in there, but until then, can someone outline any pro's or
      >cons?
      >
      > Col Mooney

    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 3:52 PM
        Ed,

        Thinking you might be right, I wonder if you're experience
        shows 15 degrees heel is optimum for the type?

        Happy the Post Office isn't as slow with my paychecks as
        with MAIB,
        Mark

        edward haile wrote:

        > In my opinion, if the MJ has too much ballast she will not heel properly on
        > the wind in a blow, hence will pound excessively. My route is to lighten her
        > aloft first.
        >
        > ED HAILE
        > Martha Jane "Terrapin"
        >
        > >From: col_mooney@...
        > >To: bolger@egroups.com
        > >Subject: [bolger] Martha Jane ballast
        > >Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:44:41 -0000
        > >

        > >I have been following the ballast discussion with interest, i.e. more
        > >is better, but I'd like to keep my intended MJ as light as possible
        > >for trailering. I'm still unsure if I want to increase the ballast,
        > >I have sailed on a MJ built from the original plans and thought she
        > >was great. If I do decide to build mine with more ballast, would
        > >there be any drawbacks in stretching the water ballast tanks to give
        > >an equivalent water weight to that proposed for solid ballast? I
        > >haven't read the MAIB discussion on the updates yet, maybe its
        > >mentioned in there, but until then, can someone outline any pro's or
        > >cons?
        > >
        > > Col Mooney

        > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.

        > - no cursing
        > - stay on topic
        > - use punctuation
      • edward haile
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3 5:42 AM
          Dear Mark,

          Yes I think fifteen degrees is exactly right closehauled, but she sails
          there most of the day at ten.