Re:Motor bracket for a June Bug

  • Chris and Eva Harvey
    Message 1 of 14 , May 26, 2008
      Has anyone seen a clever arrangement for mounting an electric trolling motor
      or small 2 HP gas engine on a Bolger June Bug?

      Greetings:

      I built my June Bug 17 years ago and have used a 27lb thrust outboard on it for years. It works great!

      I made a "T" shaped bracket out of half-inch plywood that attaches to the after deck with "C" clamps. It overlaps the transom about 2" and rises above the transom about 4". The motor clamps to the bracket sticking above the transom.

      When I built my boat, I shortened the after deck (and fore deck)for more room in the boat. Therefore, you will have to reach farther than me to reach the motor, but it shouldn't be a problem

      June Bug is a terrific boat, one that is light and rows well. The outboard will run about 5 hours at trolling speeds without discharging the battery more than half way, or crank it up and it will go as fast as you can row.

      Chris Harvey

    • Michael Galvin
      Message 2 of 14 , May 26, 2008
        Chris

        Thanks for your comments. It is good to hear that a trolling motor is up to
        the task. I saw a 50 lb thrust Minn Tonka trolling motor at Walmart for
        about $220. Sounds like it would be up to the task.

        I couldn't quite visualize your T-shaped bracket. Could you upload a crude
        sketch or a photo here, or send it to my email address?

        Mike Galvin

        Message 3 of 14 , May 26, 2008
          I put an extension on the transom so it's about 2 inches above the deck to
          mount an electric trolling motor or 3 1/2 hp aircooled outboard. I wish I
          had done it originally and made it a little taller, but I just epoxied it on
          to the original transom, screwed it down, and put fiberglass tape on both
          sides.

          The $90 Minnkota trolling motor works great, especially for going close to
          shore and watching ducks. They don't spook as they do when you're rowing.
          The batteries are kept in a box under the middle seat. I keep two batteries
          there and just use them sequentially, instead of hooking up in parallel and
          using fancy electronics to avoid drawdown by the weaker battery. The
          outboard will give about 7 knots at half throttle, judging by the length of
          the bow and stern waves. She doesn't squat badly at that speed, but I've
          only done that with a person in the bow. Crossing Lake Vermilion with a two
          foot chop, she only took in one cup water over a 5 mile crosswind passage.

          Fred Schumacher

          On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Michael Galvin <michaelgalvin@...>
          wrote:

          > Has anyone seen a clever arrangement for mounting an electric trolling
          > motor
          > or small 2 HP gas engine on a Bolger June Bug?
          >
          > I've used my Junebug primarily to row or sail. Now I have an itch to use it
          > to putt around small lakes, maybe to sneak up on birds, or the like. I have
          > a noisey 2 HP gas motor, but am inclined to buy a trolling motor.
          >
          > The question is, how and where to mount it.
          >
          > Any clever, elegant arrangements out there?
          >
          > Mike Galvin
          >
          > Muskegon, Michigan
          >
          > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding has items of interest to Bolgerphiles

        • John Kohnen
          Message 4 of 14 , May 28, 2008
            That expensive 50 lb. Minn Kota would be overkill on a June Bug. Minn
            Kota's Endura 30 has plenty of power for a boat like June Bug, and they're
            often on sale for less than $100. You won't feel so bad butchering a $100-
            motor to rig it up for remote control. <g>

            http://www.boat-links.com/images/TrollingRemote/TrollingRemote-1.jpg

            http://www.boat-links.com/images/TrollingRemote/TrollingRemote-2.jpg

            http://www.boat-links.com/images/TrollingRemote/TrollingRemote-3.jpg

            On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:32:49 -0700, Michael G wrote:

            > Thanks for your comments. It is good to hear that a trolling motor is
            > up to
            > the task. I saw a 50 lb thrust Minn Tonka trolling motor at Walmart for
            > about $220. Sounds like it would be up to the task.

            John <jkohnen@...>
            People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. <Logan
            Pearsall Smith>
          • Michael Galvin
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2008
              John
              Thanks for your comments, and, especially, the photos. The photos help give
              me some ideas to play with for the mount. I'm very glad to hear I can get
              by with a smaller, cheaper motor. I've never been a fisherman, never used a
              trolling motor, and had no idea how much thrust I would need. Your
              comments, and others here, give me confidence to plunge ahead with my
              hare-brained ideas. Now, to scrounge up the motor.
              Mike Galvin
              Muskegon, MI

              That expensive 50 lb. Minn Kota would be overkill on a June Bug. Minn
              Kota's Endura 30 has plenty of power for a boat like June Bug, and they're
              often on sale for less than $100. You won't feel so bad butchering a $100-
              motor to rig it up for remote control. <g>

              http://www.boat-links.com/images/TrollingRemote/TrollingRemote-1.jpg

              http://www.boat-links.com/images/TrollingRemote/TrollingRemote-2.jpg

              http://www.boat-links.com/images/TrollingRemote/TrollingRemote-3.jpg

              On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:32:49 -0700, Michael G wrote:

              > Thanks for your comments. It is good to hear that a trolling motor is
              > up to
              > the task. I saw a 50 lb thrust Minn Tonka trolling motor at Walmart for
              > about $220. Sounds like it would be up to the task.

              John <jkohnen@...>
              People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. <Logan
              Pearsall Smith>

              ------------------------------------

              Bolger rules!!!
              - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
              horses
              (978) 282-1349
              - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
              Groups Links
            • Kristine Bennett
              Message 6 of 14 , May 29, 2008
                Hey Mike keep an eye out at yard sales and the like... You never know what you will find there. I have picked up a lot of boat stuff cheap.

                Blessings Kriss

                Michael Galvin <michaelgalvin@...> wrote: John

                Message 7 of 14 , May 30, 2008
                  I've found some good boat stuff at yard sales -- but never anything I was
                  looking for! That's just one of those unchangeable laws of the universe.
                  ;o) Of course I wasn't looking for a trolling motor when I picked up that
                  28 lb. thrust Minn Kota for $5 (it did need a new prop). The one I used
                  for the prototype push-pull remote control... <g> But good luck, Mike!

                  --
                  John <jkohnen@...>
                  The trouble with the school of experience is that the graduates
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2008
                    I did make a bracket to mount a trolling motor on my Junebug. I used 2 x 4
                    lumber, and 2 3-inch C-clamps. I bought a 30 lb. thrust Minn Kota Endura 30
                    locally for $100. I've posted a few photos on my web site, which I think
                    are self-explanatory.

                    The motor and set-up work beautifully. Today my wife and I quietly motored
                    up a small creek and snuck up on a pair of nesting swans and a bunch of
                    sunbathing turtles. I'll try to post some photos of the motor in action
                    later.

                    For the photos, go to http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug
                    <http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug%20Motor%20Bracket> Motor Bracket

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 1, 2008
                      I used a group 24 deep cycle battery, sold at a local Dunham's sporting
                      goods store, under the Minn Kota brand name, for about $70.

                      I set the battery in a plastic battery case, set on the hull, just forward
                      of the middle seat. I intend to permanently screw in a strap for the
                      battery case somewhere forward, once I've figured out the best position. I
                      need weight forward to counteract my weight on the rear seat.

                      I extended the wires provided with the motor, with about 10 feet of 14 gauge
                      duplex wire. I am a little concerned that that 10 feet of wire may add
                      significant resistance to the circuit.

                      I can't tell you yet how far I can go with one charge. We motored for about
                      an hour and a half today. I didn't have a GPS with me to measure our speed
                      and distance. We had the "throttle" wide open sometimes, other times just
                      putting along slowly. I'll write another message here in this thread after
                      I've used the set-up a few times and have a better feel for things.

                      Can anyone suggest a good way for me to test my set-up's endurance? I think
                      you'd have to control for wind and wave action and boat speed to make any
                      meaningful statement. I don't have a means to measure my battery's state of
                      charge, either. Anyone have a suggestion for that? A simple hygrometer,
                      perhaps?

                      Mike Galvin

                      Muskegon, Michigan

                      mgalvin.com/boatbuilding has items of interest to Bolgerphiles

                      Did you have the Battery in the back compartment and what did you use, a
                      group 27? How long does it give you?

                      HJ

                      Michael Galvin wrote:
                      > I did make a bracket to mount a trolling motor on my Junebug. I used 2 x 4
                      > lumber, and 2 3-inch C-clamps. I bought a 30 lb. thrust Minn Kota Endura
                      30
                      > locally for $100. I've posted a few photos on my web site, which I think
                      > are self-explanatory.
                      >
                      > The motor and set-up work beautifully. Today my wife and I quietly motored
                      > up a small creek and snuck up on a pair of nesting swans and a bunch of
                      > sunbathing turtles. I'll try to post some photos of the motor in action
                      > later.
                      >
                      > For the photos, go to http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug
                      > <http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug%20Motor%20Bracket> Motor Bracket
                      >

                      > Mike Galvin
                      >
                      > Muskegon, Michigan
                      >
                      > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding has items of interest to Bolgerphiles

                      > ------------------------------------

                      horses
                      (978) 282-1349
                      <mailto:bolger-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                      <mailto:bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com> Yahoo! Groups
                      Links

                    • Harry James
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 1, 2008

                        Michael Galvin wrote:
                        > I did make a bracket to mount a trolling motor on my Junebug. I used 2 x 4
                        > lumber, and 2 3-inch C-clamps. I bought a 30 lb. thrust Minn Kota Endura 30
                        > locally for $100. I've posted a few photos on my web site, which I think
                        > are self-explanatory.
                        >
                        > The motor and set-up work beautifully. Today my wife and I quietly motored
                        > up a small creek and snuck up on a pair of nesting swans and a bunch of
                        > sunbathing turtles. I'll try to post some photos of the motor in action
                        > later.
                        >
                        > For the photos, go to http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug
                        > <http://mgalvin.com/boatbuilding/Junebug%20Motor%20Bracket> Motor Bracket
                        >

                        > Mike Galvin
                        >
                        > Muskegon, Michigan
                        >
                        > mgalvin.com/boatbuilding has items of interest to Bolgerphiles

                      • Warren Acrey
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2008
                          Go to Glen-L and take a look at thier trolling moter powered kayak.
                          Much neater layout.

                          Poweryak
                          http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=484

                          electric trolling motor mount and bracket
                          http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=473

                          This is my first post, so be gentle.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 2, 2008
                            Well, the trolling motor remote setup in my photos is of the Mark I model.
                            Next time I do it, it'll probably look neater! ;o) The Glen-L trolling
                            motor remote control _is_ a neater layout than mine though (a friend of
                            mine did something similar using drag links), but it's thoroughly built
                            into the boat. The advantage of my layout is that it's completely
                            portable, so it can be removed when the boat is used for other purposes,
                            or swapped between boats. Glen-L and I came up with solutions to different
                            problems.

                            Is that gentle enough, Warren? Thanks for telling us about the Glen-L
                            trolling motor remote control layout. Don't be afraid to post again! <g>

                            On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:40:54 -0700, Warren A wrote:

                            > Go to Glen-L and take a look at thier trolling moter powered kayak.
                            > Much neater layout.
                            > electric trolling motor mount and bracket
                            > http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=473
                            >>
                            >> http://www.boat-links.com/images/TrollingRemote/TrollingRemote-1.jpg
                            >>
                            >> http://www.boat-links.com/images/TrollingRemote/TrollingRemote-2.jpg
                            >>
                            >> http://www.boat-links.com/images/TrollingRemote/TrollingRemote-3.jpg

                            --
                            John <jkohnen@...>
                            All the troubles of man come from his not knowing how to sit
                            still. <Blaise Pascal>