Birdwatcher - Near coastal cruiser

  • hobyarr
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2008
      Hello all, am wondering about BW and what its defeciencies are with
      regard to using it as "close coastal hopper" and whether it is
      possible to modify build to overcome same. Any comments and thoughts
      would be much appreciated. Thanks Darrell
    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 3 , May 27, 2008
        G'day Darrell,

        there's two versions of the BW. BW1 has less ballast and less built in
        emergency bouyancy than BW2, also I believe there are plans for solid
        slot covers for BW2. With PCB's definition of seaworthiness in mind (
        and your own of "reasonable") I think if you were quite prudent and
        reasonable, and carefully chose your course and time, then BW1 may suit
        as a "close coastal hopper".

        BW2 would allow you to be a bit more relaxed about these
        considerations - PCB wrote that (he wasn't touting it) BW2 just might
        be an ocean crosser except for its limited capacity to carry supplies (
        he suggested light weight space rations, IIRC :)

        Graeme

        _ I define seaworthiness as the ability to keep the sea in all
        weather in reasonable safety. Philip C Bolger (Storm Petrel)

        _ I think "seaworthiness is strictly definable as "ability to keep the
        sea in all weather with reasonable safety." Philip C Bolger (Economy
        Motorsailer)

        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2008
          Thanks Graeme - Further questions, wondering about centre board
          whether it would be possible to do away with and use chine runners as
          Matt Layden designs on Paradoxx and particularly Enigma as it is
          designed a little closer to the BW build than Paradox is. What do you
          reckon BW's draught would be heeled over - Although I have read
          somewhere that BW can be a little difficult to tack at times
          and perhaps the c'board is necessary to assist Also thinking about
          rudder/tiller mods as it seems you can only get about 20 degrees on
          rudder. Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge on this.
          Thank you - Darrell