Re: [bolger] Eeek!

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2000
      Step,

      Fun to hear from you interested in that Sq. Boat. The famous
      Dugong was sailed away to Tropic Paradise throughout the Caribbean.

      I believe the flaw to Anhinga from Bolger's point of view
      was that RM had changed it to a yawl. At worst, in need of
      more positive bouancy. Unlikely to be bottom up unless the
      aft compartment flooded in some way. "Would like to see one
      built as designed."

      Still at 17' for shop space, I've wondered if the main
      bulkhead could be doubled in order to build the boat in two.

      Mark

      StepHydro@... wrote:

      > Mark,
      >
      > I, too, bought Anhinga plans, thinking she was a "cheapie" Dugong, which I've
      > always admired (anyone know what has become of her???)
      >
      > I had extensive correspondence with the builder you mention, and he felt the
      > boat was flawed in some ways that were significant...sailing balance,
      > stability, that sort of thing. I could probably find that file with some
      > diligence on my part.
      >
      > Cheers/Step
      >
      > In a message dated 06/30/2000 2:<BR24:<BR14 AM
      > Eastern Daylight , marka@... writes:> I have a planset that came
      > from Phil 15 years ago of the
      > > midsize boat like that. I was full of the idea of the
      > > economy sea cruiser that Eeek's the model for already, and
      > > there was a picture in the fanzine part of WoodenBoat...
      > >
      > > Anhinga is 23' 3" x by 5' x 7". It's cousin most to Martha
      > > Jane, but lighter,
      > >
      > > I think there was only one Anhinga built.

      > CLICK HERE AND START SAVING ON LONG DISTANCE BILLS TODAY!

      > - no cursing
      > - stay on topic
      > - use punctuation
    • C. O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2000
        > 1) Does anyone out there have any first-hand experience with this
        > design that they could share?
        >
        > 2) Could the boat be sailed by two peope for brief jaunts in calm
        > conditions, with or without ballast?

        I suppose two people could ride in a Peero if the wind was light and
        they weren't particularly large people and were well-coordinated. With
        one it's a sporty little boat.

        On Tuesday John Harris and I went about 3.5 nautical miles over and 3.5
        back on a beat and then a reach across the Chester River. Wind was
        probably 7mph with occasional little blops of 10mph.

        John's Peero - rigged with a gaff sail - outpoints the balanced lug on
        the lug's "bad tack" but the overall speed of the two boats was pretty
        much equivalent, we got to the same place within about 30 secs of one
        another, John was perhaps a quarter mile to windward after 3+ nautical
        mi.

        On the reach back the balanced lug beat the gaffer by just a little.
        The lug has a little more sail area but not significantly more. The
        fact that duffer (moi) could outsail dinghy racer tweak (John) on the
        trip back speaks well for the lug.

        Both sails are available from Sailrite.