Folding schooner

  • Peter Kortlucke
    Message 1 of 23 , May 20, 2008
      Hello everyone

      I've recently joined this group and noticed in the archives some
      discussion of photos of my folding schooner- actually co-owned with my
      brother. I've added a few extra photos in my album if anyone is
      interested.

      http://community.webshots.com/user/phk58
      <http://community.webshots.com/user/phk58>

      Peter

    • rick barnes
      Message 2 of 23 , May 21, 2008
        Very nice boat.  The action shots are great.  She looks pretty fast.
        Rick

        Message 3 of 23 , May 21, 2008
          Peter, those are beautiful pics. She looks like a fun boat to sail. D

        • Christopher C. Wetherill
          Message 4 of 23 , May 21, 2008
            Peter,

            Very nice sequence of the unfolding processes. I would be curious to see
            detail pics of the latch.

            V/R
            Chris

            Peter Kortlucke wrote:
            > Hello everyone
            >
            > I've recently joined this group and noticed in the archives some
            > discussion of photos of my folding schooner- actually co-owned with my
            > brother. I've added a few extra photos in my album if anyone is
            > interested.

          • Peter Kortlucke
            Message 5 of 23 , May 21, 2008
              Chris

              I don't have any photos but the chine connection is simply spectra
              line wrapped around aluminium "cleats" and then held under tension
              with a thick rubber shockcord (?bungee in the US)
              It self tensions and after a couple of waves is completely taut.
              We also had to add some bolts at the deck to take the stress off the
              hinges. We push it pretty hard.

              Peter

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher C. Wetherill"
              <wetherillc@...> wrote:

              > Peter,
              >
              > Very nice sequence of the unfolding processes. I would be curious
              to see
              > detail pics of the latch.
              >
              > V/R
              > Chris
              >
              > Peter Kortlucke wrote:
              > > Hello everyone
              > >
              > > I've recently joined this group and noticed in the archives some
              > > discussion of photos of my folding schooner- actually co-owned
              with my
              > > brother. I've added a few extra photos in my album if anyone is
              > > interested.

            • Michael Walther
              Message 6 of 23 , May 21, 2008
                Hi Peter, Ditto everything everybody has said, it's a beautiful boat and seeing deployment was fascinating. When you decide to take pictures again please remember the hinges & connections, I personally can't picture what you've written here (my failing) it takes pictures for my brain to get some things:) Thanks for posting the pix, Mike

                > I don't have any photos but the chine connection is
                > simply spectra
                > line wrapped around aluminium "cleats" and then
                > held under tension
                > with a thick rubber shockcord (?bungee in the US)
                > It self tensions and after a couple of waves is completely
                > taut.
                > We also had to add some bolts at the deck to take the
                > stress off the
                > hinges. We push it pretty hard.
                >
                > Peter
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher C.
                > Wetherill"
                > <wetherillc@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Peter,
                > >
                > > Very nice sequence of the unfolding processes. I would
                > be curious
                > to see
                > > detail pics of the latch.
                > >
                > > V/R
                > > Chris
                > >
                > > Peter Kortlucke wrote:
                > > > Hello everyone
                > > >
                > > > I've recently joined this group and noticed
                > in the archives some
                > > > discussion of photos of my folding schooner-
                > actually co-owned
                > with my
                > > > brother. I've added a few extra photos in my
                > album if anyone is
                > > > interested.

                > ------------------------------------

                > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or
                > flogging dead horses
                > thanks, Fred' posts
                > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and
                > snip away
                > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
                > MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                > - Open discussion:
                > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
                > Groups Links

              • Peter Kortlucke
                Message 7 of 23 , May 21, 2008
                  Hi Mike

                  I've added a couple of photos taken during construction- these may
                  explain the hinges and chine cleats.
                  Re the hinge mechanism, the aluminium tangs are longer than designed
                  as we added some camber to the deck (purely for aesthetic reasons)
                  and are connected simply with stainless bolts as the pivot pins.
                  Re the lower connection, spectra line is wrapped around the chine
                  cleats for a few turns and then taken to another cleat with a heavy
                  shockcord- you can just see it in one of the sailing photos (titled
                  15 knots etc)

                  Peter

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Michael Walther <michawalth3@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Peter, Ditto everything everybody has said, it's a beautiful
                  boat and seeing deployment was fascinating. When you decide to take
                  pictures again please remember the hinges & connections, I personally
                  can't picture what you've written here (my failing) it takes pictures
                  for my brain to get some things:) Thanks for posting
                  the pix, Mike

                • malcolmf
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 22, 2008
                    Great pics of the boat, but I would love to see pics of the expressions
                    on the faces of dockside hangers-on when you launch, unfold and sail away.
                    Calm seas & A Prosperous Voyage
                    Malcolm

                    Peter Kortlucke wrote:

                    > Hi Mike
                    >
                    > I've added a couple of photos taken during construction- these may
                    > explain the hinges and chine cleats.
                    > Re the hinge mechanism, the aluminium tangs are longer than designed
                    > as we added some camber to the deck (purely for aesthetic reasons)
                    > and are connected simply with stainless bolts as the pivot pins.
                    > Re the lower connection, spectra line is wrapped around the chine
                    > cleats for a few turns and then taken to another cleat with a heavy
                    > shockcord- you can just see it in one of the sailing photos (titled
                    > 15 knots etc)
                    >
                    > Peter
                    >
                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > Michael Walther <michawalth3@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Peter, Ditto everything everybody has said, it's a beautiful
                    > boat and seeing deployment was fascinating. When you decide to take
                    > pictures again please remember the hinges & connections, I personally
                    > can't picture what you've written here (my failing) it takes pictures
                    > for my brain to get some things:) Thanks for posting
                    > the pix, Mike

                  • Michael Walther
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 22, 2008
                      Hi Peter, Thanks for putting up the pix. I'm sure everyone else is interested in seeing them too. Your right, they were very helpful to my understanding how it works, until these groups & WB mag. I hadn't known of boats that could be pieced together like this & other ways. It amazes me.
                      Thanks again for the pix, Mike

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 22, 2008
                        Thanks for the photos. Those are the most descriptive photos of a
                        Folding Schooner I have ever seen. If I am not mistaken, I see that
                        you have 'boxed-in' the sides, adding huge "knock down" flotation
                        buoyancy, plus adding side decking, a good place to sit when hiking
                        out. This adds a bit of weight (an issue when folding), but I think
                        is an overall improvement to the design. It is interesting to see how
                        the hull can float (and fold) on her side. Raising the question:
                        Might she rest on the trailer better on her side?
                      • Mark Mirski
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 22, 2008
                          Peter Kortlucke wrote:
                          > Hi Mike
                          >
                          > I've added a couple of photos taken during construction- these may
                          > explain the hinges and chine cleats.
                          > Re the hinge mechanism, the aluminium tangs are longer than designed
                          > as we added some camber to the deck (purely for aesthetic reasons)
                          > and are connected simply with stainless bolts as the pivot pins.
                          > Re the lower connection, spectra line is wrapped around the chine
                          > cleats for a few turns and then taken to another cleat with a heavy
                          > shockcord- you can just see it in one of the sailing photos (titled
                          > 15 knots etc)
                          >
                          > Peter

                          Peter Kortlucke

                          Thank you for your contributions to the Bolger group.

                          I have been looking for your folder on the Bolger group photos.

                          Please send me the URL for your folding schooner imagery. I'm just not
                          quite sure which folding schooner folder is yours.

                          Thank you in advance for considering this request.

                          Mark Mirski anshin@...
                        • Peter Kortlucke
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 22, 2008
                            Bruce

                            We certainly modified the design quite a lot.

                            The flotation tanks work brilliantly in a capsize (only happened once)
                            and we were sailing again in a couple of minutes.

                            The extra weight is not so much as the stiffening effect of the tanks
                            acting as torsion tubes means most of the framing was eliminated. All
                            up weight with a steel centreboard is 250kg.

                            The bottom is a lot stiffer than the sides with the tanks and beefed up
                            to half inch in some areas so I wouldn't trail it sideways.

                            Peter

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 22, 2008
                              Mark

                              You can find the album here

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 23, 2008
                                On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Peter Kortlucke
                                <pkortlucke@...> wrote:

                                > The flotation tanks work brilliantly in a capsize (only happened once)
                                > and we were sailing again in a couple of minutes.

                                Yes, I can imagine.

                                Also, the 'per plans' folding schooner still has many hundreds of
                                pounds of buoyancy in the midships flotation chamber that I figure she
                                also would also pretty high up on rail in a knockdown.

                                Your modification has the advantage of providing a 'seating surface'
                                when hiking out. Also, I notice you have a ballasted centerboard?

                                Here is an isometric rendering of a more-or-less "per plans" Folding Schooner.

                                http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2516328089/
                              • Peter Kortlucke
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 25, 2008
                                  Hi Bruce

                                  The original plans as in "The Folding Schooner" called for 12 inch by
                                  12 inch by 24 inch foam in the midships area (on each side) and
                                  filling the forepeak with foam (which doesn't count much as it's so
                                  near the centreline).

                                  Calculating buoyancy for this foam (in kg, since that's easier, is
                                  approx 3 by 3 by 6 equals 54 kg = 130 pounds approx)

                                  Even Bolger's rules allow each hull to weigh 150 pounds stripped so
                                  combined weight must be more than 400 pounds.

                                  I doubt it would float very high on the rail at all. The only other
                                  reports I have read are with the light scooner and they need help to
                                  recover after capsize.

                                  We did add a ballasted centreboard rather than the twin bilgeboards,
                                  but I'm not sure it makes much difference- I'd like to try with a
                                  standard non ballasted board.

                                  Peter

                                  > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Peter Kortlucke
                                  > <pkortlucke@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > The flotation tanks work brilliantly in a capsize (only happened
                                  once)
                                  > > and we were sailing again in a couple of minutes.
                                  >
                                  > Yes, I can imagine.
                                  >
                                  > Also, the 'per plans' folding schooner still has many hundreds of
                                  > pounds of buoyancy in the midships flotation chamber that I figure
                                  she
                                  > also would also pretty high up on rail in a knockdown.
                                  >
                                  > Your modification has the advantage of providing a 'seating surface'
                                  > when hiking out. Also, I notice you have a ballasted centerboard?
                                  >
                                  > Here is an isometric rendering of a more-or-less "per plans"
                                  Folding Schooner.

                                  > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2516328089/

                                • Bruce Erney
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 1, 2008
                                    I'm getting a hull ready for glass and paint, using peel ply to save
                                    sanding. I am longboarding the hull and can't decide wether to fair
                                    with filler then glass or glass then fair with microlight filler.
                                    This is so much fun, I really enjoy the work and the results.
                                    Thanks,
                                    Bruce in NJ
                                  • Douglas Pollard
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 1, 2008
                                      Here is a suggestion based on my own experience. It is really hard to
                                      see the imperfections in the hull with the boat inside a shed and it's
                                      equally hard to feel any long gentle waves there. If before you paint
                                      you take her out into the bright sunlight you may be surprised just how
                                      unfair she is. With diligence and a long board you will likely get it
                                      all. The problem comes when say that is pretty good but not perfect then
                                      take it outside and find that it's much worse than you thought. I
                                      recently built my Elver in a plastic covered bow shed. Nice place to
                                      work, but nearly impossible to see imperfections because there are
                                      absolutely no shadows at all. This thing of no shadows though is
                                      wonderful when you are assembling a boat, or are underneath of it.

                                      Doug

                                    • echo172@comcast.net
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 1, 2008
                                        I'm building outside in sunlight. I cover it over for rain and night.
                                        My preference is to sand, epoxy/glass the hull, fill the waves, sand, epoxy last coat, sand then primer and paint. Flip and do the inside same way. I'm just not certain about microlight filler, West 410, because it seems soft when cured. I think it might be best between coats rather than under the cloth.

                                        From: Douglas Pollard <Dougpol1@...>
                                        > Here is a suggestion based on my own experience. It is really hard to
                                        > see the imperfections in the hull with the boat inside a shed and it's
                                        > equally hard to feel any long gentle waves there. If before you paint
                                        > you take her out into the bright sunlight you may be surprised just how
                                        > unfair she is. With diligence and a long board you will likely get it
                                        > all. The problem comes when say that is pretty good but not perfect then
                                        > take it outside and find that it's much worse than you thought. I
                                        > recently built my Elver in a plastic covered bow shed. Nice place to
                                        > work, but nearly impossible to see imperfections because there are
                                        > absolutely no shadows at all. This thing of no shadows though is
                                        > wonderful when you are assembling a boat, or are underneath of it.
                                        >
                                        > Doug
                                        >

                                        > Bruce Erney wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I'm getting a hull ready for glass and paint, using peel ply to save
                                        > > sanding. I am longboarding the hull and can't decide wether to fair
                                        > > with filler then glass or glass then fair with microlight filler.
                                        > > This is so much fun, I really enjoy the work and the results.
                                        > > Thanks,
                                        > > Bruce in NJ

                                      • Kristine Bennett
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 1, 2008
                                          Bruce when I was working at Uniflite I worked on the tooling shop for a bit and the rules there were get the plug as close to what they wanted before the skin coat was put on and faired.

                                          I would get the hull as fair as you can before glassing it. But you will still have a few places to fair after you have glassed it anyway.

                                          I have spent a few hours with a long board in my hands.... That thing is hard on the shoulders!

                                          Blessings Krissie

                                          Bruce Erney <echo172@...> wrote: I'm getting a hull ready for glass and paint, using peel ply to save

                                          _

                                        • echo172@comcast.net
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 1, 2008
                                            That's what I'm going to do. I checked West Systems site and they suggest the same thing. I guess I'm anxious to hit the water and looking for a short cut. I started this May 1st and thought a few weeks tops to complete. It's rained here more than ever this month. I guess I have about 2 weeks of working days into it so it's not that bad but never again without a shelter.
                                            Thanks,
                                            Bruce

                                            From: Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@...>
                                            > Bruce when I was working at Uniflite I worked on the tooling shop for a bit and
                                            > the rules there were get the plug as close to what they wanted before the skin
                                            > coat was put on and faired.
                                            >
                                            > I would get the hull as fair as you can before glassing it. But you will still
                                            > have a few places to fair after you have glassed it anyway.
                                            >
                                            > I have spent a few hours with a long board in my hands.... That thing is hard on
                                            > the shoulders!
                                            >
                                            > Blessings Krissie

                                          • saillips
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 1, 2008
                                              Sorry for the non-Bolger references, but here are 2 examples of using
                                              stiff plastic film to achieve a significant savings in finishing labor
                                              and time. One is a web site called Electric boat consruction. Scroll
                                              about halfway down to the part about finishing the hull.

                                              http://www.pbase.com/dr_dichro/electric_boat

                                              The other from Garth Batista who built a 32' boat (I think ) by Jim
                                              Michalak, and it was on Jim's news letter archives.This is a copy of a
                                              message he posted to this group about where to locate the film.

                                              -Hi Harry --

                                              Here's what John Blazy has posted on his website
                                              (http://www.pbase.com/dr_dichro/electric_boat):

                                              ATTENTION ALL WHO HAVE BEEN DYING TO KNOW WHERE I GET .030" POLYESTER
                                              FILM: ANY PLASTICS DISTRIBUTOR LIKE GE POLYMERSHAPES (FORMERLY
                                              CADILLAC PLASTICS), CURBELL, OR LOCAL SHEET/FILM PLASTICS SUPPLIERS IN
                                              YOUR AREA - USE THE YELLOW PAGES. TRY SIGNAGE / GRAPHICS / LAMINATORS
                                              TOO. OTHER FILMS LIKE LEXAN IN .020 - .030 SHOULD WORK AS WELL, EVEN
                                              WITH THE PRE-MASKING CLING FILM LEFT ON, TO ENSURE REMOVAL. AND YES,
                                              YOU HAVE TO SCARF PIECES FOR LONGER LENGTHS UNLESS YOU CAN GET ROLL
                                              STOCK. IT SCARFS EASILY WITH SOLVENT CEMENT.

                                              Now that we've brought the subject up and my memory has been slowly
                                              rewarmed like a TV dinner from the back of the freezer, I recall that
                                              what I bought from GE Polyshapes was 20 mil Lexan. It came in a roll,
                                              which was very essential for doing big panels -- you can't roll the
                                              bubbles out after it's on that big an area, so you roll them out as
                                              you go.

                                              I think it was about $200 for the 40' x 4' roll. Not cheap, but in
                                              doing a big boat, I was able to hide it from my accountant (that is,
                                              the side of my brain atempting to actually keep costs under control .
                                              . . ).

                                              I cut off 8' of it in 6 sections sized 16" x 4' for making perfectly
                                              smooth glass butt joints, sandwiched between MDO pieces of the same
                                              size and screwed down -- with the screw holes filled in later. And the
                                              remaining 32' was just right for four ply sheets end-to-end.

                                              The really cool thing about this film technique is that you can have
                                              varying layers of fiberglass -- like overlapping pieces, or tape
                                              running under cloth, or extra scraps laid in at random -- and once the
                                              film goes over it, it all comes out glass smooth on the surface. You
                                              can do things like running an extra tape down the middle of a side
                                              panel, for instance, to reinforce it where it will be farthest from
                                              any framing -- but it'll be completely undetectable, with no fairing, etc.

                                              Good luck finding film that'll work for you. What are you building?

                                              Garth

                                              I can't find the original article by Garth, which is too bad because
                                              the pictures tell the story. But Garth built the full length panels
                                              for his boat,laid them out on a flat floor, rolled out the cloth,
                                              squeegeed and spread the epoxy, then he proceeded to take a roll of
                                              this stiff film, and starting at one end unroll it over the panel
                                              while applying his body weight which pushed all the air and bubbles
                                              out ahead of the roll. He left the film on until the next day when it
                                              had cured , peeled the film to reveal a mirror finish.
                                              David
                                            • Harry James
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 1, 2008
                                                My father a Master Shipwright, used a low angle light to profile the
                                                imperfections, I find that works as well or better than taking outside.
                                                You will find high quality sheet rocker/tapers do the same thing.

                                                HJ

                                                Douglas Pollard wrote:
                                                > Here is a suggestion based on my own experience. It is really hard to
                                                > see the imperfections in the hull with the boat inside a shed and it's
                                                > equally hard to feel any long gentle waves there. If before you paint
                                                > you take her out into the bright sunlight you may be surprised just how
                                                > unfair she is. With diligence and a long board you will likely get it
                                                > all. The problem comes when say that is pretty good but not perfect then
                                                > take it outside and find that it's much worse than you thought. I
                                                > recently built my Elver in a plastic covered bow shed. Nice place to
                                                > work, but nearly impossible to see imperfections because there are
                                                > absolutely no shadows at all. This thing of no shadows though is
                                                > wonderful when you are assembling a boat, or are underneath of it.
                                                >
                                                > Doug
                                                >

                                                > Bruce Erney wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> I'm getting a hull ready for glass and paint, using peel ply to save
                                                >> sanding. I am longboarding the hull and can't decide wether to fair
                                                >> with filler then glass or glass then fair with microlight filler.
                                                >> This is so much fun, I really enjoy the work and the results.
                                                >> Thanks,
                                                >> Bruce in NJ

                                              • .Randy Powell
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 1, 2008
                                                  I have faired many a kayak and we most always fair first then glass, you end up with a greater chance of a uniform surface coating and the chance of cutting through the glass by sanding is greatly minimized and you just focas on filling the glass weave. If you have a goodly sized commpressor try using an inline board sander like one found in an autobody shop, I love them, fast and kinder on your shoulders.
                                                  Randy