Re: [bolger] Breakdown Sweet Pea Advise sought

    Message 1 of 14 , May 12, 2008
      > removable "hinge pins". This way I could portage two lighter halves and

      I would be afraid that when adding the parts and complexity to make a
      folding sweat pea, that extra weight would be required for the two
      mid-transoms, and the hinges would make the whole thing heavier.

      The way to make a boat lighter is to leave heavy things off.

      I my experience, (and for a similar wish-list), I built the double
      ender 'Cartoon 5' aka (Ultra-light row boat for homebuilders). It
      achieves lightness and the ability to be portaged by using a minimum
      of materials. Also, 'Cartoon 5' is easy to portage because it
      balances just right, upside down, with the middle seat resting on my
      shoulders. I routinely portage this boat single handed, and it can be
      carried very far. (Easier when it is not a windy day.)

      I think that double ended rowboats like Cartoon 5 and SweetPea are
      well suited for rough water rowing, but you certainly should be a
      prudent seaman considering the risks, especially if it is cold water.