Re: [bolger] Re: Micro Navigator

  • Gene Tehansky
    Message 1 of 23 , May 11, 2008
      Bruce,
      I went back into the archives and found some old MAIB articles about
      Micro Upgrades. I read the comments you made about dropping the mast
      and what Phil said. I've been thinking about it and came up with
      what seems like a solution. The problem is that as the booms move
      parallel to the mast when the mast is lowered, the lines holding the
      boom yokes to the mast grow tight. If these lines were connected to
      the forward end of the yoke, where they would have to be longer they
      would become loose as the boom moves parallel to the mast, or stay
      the same tension. Thus everything could be left hooked up with
      enough slack to pivot the boom yet be tight enough to keep the booms
      close to the mast. This could be greatly complicated by the stacking
      of the boom, battens and gaff but I'm going to look into it.

      I will wait until I receive my plans to look them over before writing
      to Phil about the modification. One problem I see could be a
      tendency to jam preventing the boom (yard or batten) from dropping.
      On my current boat I have experimented with epoxy with teflon powder
      mixed in. The result is quite slippery. I have it on my booms and
      gaffs ends and their yokes where they rub on the mast. I also
      thought I'd dip the parrell (sp) beads in the stuff so they can spin
      and slide easily. I'll post what Phil says but that might be some time.

      Sincerely,
      Gene T.