Re: Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival

  • dirtsailor2003
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3, 2008
      Yes those boats were built based on the lines from Hannu Vartiala's site.

      Dirtsailor

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "alefoot" <dgw@...> wrote:

      > Michael Walther <michawalth3@> wrote:
      >
      > > Do you or anyone else happen to where I can find plans for the
      > "Portuguese style" skiffs?
      >
      > Hannu Vartiala's pages, perhaps?
      >
      > http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/dinghy1/simboii.htm

    • Michael Walther
      Message 2 of 18 , May 3, 2008
        To Alefoot, Wow, your very quick (a search demon), a great little site, helpful & bookmarked, thank you very much. Looking at the boats measurements, its bigger than the near 6ft I thought it might be. 6ft is Wash.,D.C. Metro manageable and a quick 20min trip to the Tidal Basin or Potomac River;) Cool little boat:)
        Thanks again, Mike
        PS I thought I sent this earlier (found in drafts folder), sorry it took so long.

        Message 3 of 18 , May 4, 2008
          Dick Mitsch was "inspired" by Hannu's Portuguese skiff plans. Dick can
          never follow anybody else's boat plans. <g> His brother and nephew's boats
          are probably close to Hannu's shape and dimensions, but Dick's own boat,
          Nemo, was built short enough to fit into the 6' bed of his pickup with the
          tailgate closed -- leaving about a half inch to spare.

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/99965516@N00/

          http://www.gsahv.pp.fi/dinghy1/simboii.htm

          On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:58:55 -0700, Michael W wrote:

          > Looking at the boats measurements, its bigger than the near 6ft I
          > thought it might be. 6ft is Wash.,D.C. Metro manageable and a quick
          > 20min trip to the Tidal Basin or Potomac River;) Cool little boat:)

          John <jkohnen@...>
          I must say I find television very educational. The minute
          somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
          <Groucho Marx>
        • Michael Walther
          Message 4 of 18 , May 4, 2008
            Hi John,
            Can't thank you enough for this, much praised be heaped upon you. Depoe Bay is a beautiful place. As usual the pix are great and very appreciated, at least by me. It was also neat to see in the background of a couple shots one of the last wooden production boats by Trojan Yacht, still around.
            I'm thinking that Dick's boat with the seat in his son Joe's boat would be perfection. After all this, would you happen to know any thing about it? Or how I might contact them? I didn't see a link or web address.
            Thanks again, Mike

            > never follow anybody else's boat plans. <g> His
            > brother and nephew's boats
            > are probably close to Hannu's shape and dimensions,
            > but Dick's own boat,
            > Nemo, was built short enough to fit into the 6' bed of
            > his pickup with the
            > tailgate closed -- leaving about a half inch to spare.
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/99965516@N00/
            >
            > http://www.gsahv.pp.fi/dinghy1/simboii.htm
            >
            > On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:58:55 -0700, Michael W wrote:

            > > Looking at the boats measurements, its bigger than the
            > near 6ft I
            > > thought it might be. 6ft is Wash.,D.C. Metro
            > manageable and a quick
            > > 20min trip to the Tidal Basin or Potomac River;) Cool
            > little boat:)
            >
            > --
            > John <jkohnen@...>
            > I must say I find television very educational. The minute
            > somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good
            > book.
            > <Groucho Marx>
            >
            > ------------------------------------

            > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or
            > flogging dead horses
            > thanks, Fred' posts
            > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and
            > snip away
            > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
            > MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
            > - Open discussion:
            > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo!
            > Groups Links

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Patrick Crockett
            Message 5 of 18 , May 7, 2008
              I've thought about tossing a boat into the tidal basin to play, and
              wondered if it is allowed. I know there are paddle boats in there, but I
              thought perhaps the Park Service did not allow just anybody to put a
              boat in. Is it allowed?

              Patrick

              Message 6 of 18 , May 7, 2008
                Hi Patrick & Group, I don't know for sure, I don't have the tiny boat yet, so I haven't called or checked the site for info yet. From what I've seen, but not studied of the map it's all connected & I've seen the boats in the river, again I'm assuming. I seem to remember seeing private boats there also. After all, if the water can get in & the boats can get out? As long as it's people powered, I can't see the objection, other than the boat rentals have the exclusive rights which means all citizens need to write their congressman & Park 'Service' to get that changed & money to repair, reopen the entire C&O Canal as well. There are businesses & towns that would benefit along with new jobs in boating industry the entire length.
                That's the best I can give you at this moment, Mike