Re: John's Mystery Boat

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      > With some minor modification by John, this looks like the much
      > admired but ( I don't believe ) ever built 'Flat Bottom Outboard
      > Cruiser,' ("Dovkie designed for power" ) shown in SBJ #33.

      Yeah, that's what I meant. I tried to get Bolger to finish the design,
      offered him money, told him about the very little information I needed
      to finish the design.

      He told me to suck eggs. Actually, he was very nice, but said that if I
      went ahead and built it, I should consider it *my* design, and that he
      wouldn't help me (with good reason, I feel). All I wanted was a little
      information about the dimensions of the bow angle and a little something
      about the stem. He said "build what you like sonny" in the nicest way
      possible.

      > As PCB was already working on this idea before the letter to SBJ, I
      > wonder if it was finished. There's no mention in our group designs
      > index... It seems a very, very good boat with accommodations, for the
      > simplicity, cost, motor and fuel cost. Speaking of motors, in the SBJ
      > article PCB didn't seem to address the wished for request of rowing
      > and sculling - Another stretch possibly???

      They also suggested the big cabin clam skiff, a very likeable boat, but
      I don't want a big engine, I like my 5hp Nissan, and do't want to exceed
      9.9hp for any of my future boats.

      (Of course, the 5hp Nissan is more than enough boat for my Sunfish.)

      -Chris
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2008
      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2008
          Chris,

          Nowadays, with Greg's Hulls you could get all that in an hour -and
          rebrand yourself a boat designer to boot :}

          On May 1, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Chris Crandall wrote:

          >> 'Flat Bottom Outboard
          >> Cruiser,' ("Dovkie designed for power" ) shown in SBJ #33.
          >
          > Yeah, that's what I meant. I tried to get Bolger to finish the design,
          > offered him money, told him about the very little information I needed
          > to finish the design.
          >
          > He told me to suck eggs.
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2008
            Hi Chris -

            The Martha Jane (revised) makes a nice low-powered camper -- 8HP pushes it nicely. You
            get the amenities of the Outboard Cruiser and Cabin Clam skiff and still keep under 9.9.
            I'd say go ahead and try your 5HP on it first - it might be enough too.

            Most of my boating is on local lakes where the wind is too flakey to sail. I use the MJ
            mostly as a powerboat.

            Food for thought since the MJ is already a finished and tested design.

            I have some YouTube footage showing some testing with a small (not the power thrust)
            8HP Honda 4-stroke. I don't even have the leeboards or mast on it yet - or the rudder yet
            for that matter. Or paint on the transom (or the doors built...) If you want to see it, go to

            http://www.youtube.com/mike27608

            Once there, click on Bolger Martha Jane Motor Test Run. The engine sounds and
            comments you hear are from the chase boat/photographer. The Honda is not very loud at
            all.

            Using the power thrust 8 instead of the one in the video, I can push the loaded boat just a
            bit over 6knots, but the motor is working. Cruising / no wake speed is about 4.5 knots
            and the engine is quiet and happy at that speed.

            Mike

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

            > > With some minor modification by John, this looks like the much
            > > admired but ( I don't believe ) ever built 'Flat Bottom Outboard
            > > Cruiser,' ("Dovkie designed for power" ) shown in SBJ #33.
            >
            > Yeah, that's what I meant. I tried to get Bolger to finish the design,
            > offered him money, told him about the very little information I needed
            > to finish the design.
            >
            > He told me to suck eggs. Actually, he was very nice, but said that if I
            > went ahead and built it, I should consider it *my* design, and that he
            > wouldn't help me (with good reason, I feel). All I wanted was a little
            > information about the dimensions of the bow angle and a little something
            > about the stem. He said "build what you like sonny" in the nicest way
            > possible.
            >
            > > As PCB was already working on this idea before the letter to SBJ, I
            > > wonder if it was finished. There's no mention in our group designs
            > > index... It seems a very, very good boat with accommodations, for the
            > > simplicity, cost, motor and fuel cost. Speaking of motors, in the SBJ
            > > article PCB didn't seem to address the wished for request of rowing
            > > and sculling - Another stretch possibly???
            >

            > They also suggested the big cabin clam skiff, a very likeable boat, but
            > I don't want a big engine, I like my 5hp Nissan, and do't want to exceed
            > 9.9hp for any of my future boats.
            >
            > (Of course, the 5hp Nissan is more than enough boat for my Sunfish.)
            >
            > -Chris

          • captjbturtle
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2008

              > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2457045511/

              yes Bruce, thats the boat, thanks, IUve been interested since it
              first came out and based on the sucess of my sneakeasy which has
              almost identical dimensions i wanted it even more. The only changes
              to the cartoon are I lengthene the cabin to 10 feet and will put an
              off center birdwatcher pass thru. I also split the bow to make it
              easier to get on and off on the beach. She has been even easier to
              build than sneak with no ducktails and bth sides parallograms
              giving flare instead of having to cut sheer. the hull and cabin
              sides are finished and now loaded on the trailer to be finished in
              canada, looks good and was very cheap and easy. Its hard to believe
              how effecient the sneak is with my 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke, maybe 20mpg
              runnimng to a clean plane in the teens andf very quiet at low revs
              and a nice long legged cruising speed. because of the flare and
              lackof side deckes this boat "Turtle 11 " has much more interior
              volume too.Everybody asks aboiut the stability of a boat 4 feet on
              the bottom but no problems the Sneak is a great boat feels veryh
              secure and get a lot of attention painted black running as she does
              dead level through the whole speed range. I think this boat will be
              a great trailerable cruiser, she is very light and low, regards john
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                > . Its hard to believe
                > how effecient the sneak is with my 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke, maybe 20mpg
                > runnimng to a clean plane in the teens andf very quiet at low revs
                > and a nice long legged cruising speed.

                That is good to hear, considering that the Topaz Spyder which I am
                building has an very similar shape, 25% bigger. Bolger specifies a
                10hp as an acceptable motor for Topaz. With $4 gasoline now, I think
                that fuel efficient boats make more sense that ever.

                Update on Topaz, I am presently working on the navigation lights, and
                am looking at a weekend of sanding of primer on the windscreen, and
                inside the rear compartment.
              • graeme19121984
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

                  > He told me to suck eggs. Actually, he was very nice, but said that
                  > if I went ahead and built it, I should consider it *my* design, and
                  > that he wouldn't help me (with good reason, I feel).

                  I wonder why, do you know those reasons? Is Outboard Cruiser before
                  or after Sharpshooter? I wonder if they're more connected than a
                  study plan would show?

                  You see, Outboard Cruiser (OC) seems to have the bottom of the
                  windscreen at a height of about 2'6" rather than about 4' in
                  Sharpshooter#1, and is shown with the helm seat almost on the floor.
                  The height of crew weight underway therefor should be much lower than
                  that problem is in Sharpshooter#1. However, the slot top of OC might
                  encourage passengers to stand when underway.., might it not? And what
                  about the dinghy weight on top?

                  OC seems to have much less rocker than Sharpshooter, particularly
                  toward the bow. I wonder if this would increase or decrease the
                  highly unacceptable rolling upon steering correction, after first
                  yawing when crossing a following wave, that saw the Sharpshooter#1
                  remodeled?

                  In the 1982 30-ODD BOATS chapter on Sharpshooter Bolger writes that
                  since 1954 he must have done at least 20 variations on this square-
                  tail dory idea, at various lengths. I haven't heard of a handling
                  problem with Sea Hawk at any reasonable speed. Sea Hawk even has
                  quarter skids specified for larger engines to prevent any sideways
                  planing... so it would seem tight turning never triggers digging in
                  and rolling...

                  Are the Sharpshooter#1 problems mainly why PCB wasn't interested in
                  completing the design of Outboard Cruiser?

                  Graeme
                • Paul McLellan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 9, 2008
                    It has been a while but John Bartlett completed the cabin and
                    mechanicals to get the new Bolger inspired light cruiser launched. I
                    have attached three pictures.

                    Johns description is below but I had a chance to try it out and the
                    performance is incredible. It looks pretty funky but with the
                    birdwatcher hatch it is easy to move about and with the daybed
                    conversion to a double it should make a fast light camp cruiser. Of
                    course as with all Bolger boats you can expect to draw a crowd and
                    spend a lot of time explaining things to the great uneducated masses
                    of tupperware boaters. regards and happy boating -- Paul

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "captjbturtle" <captjbturtle@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2457045511/
                    > >
                    > yes Bruce, thats the boat, thanks, IUve been interested since it
                    > first came out and based on the sucess of my sneakeasy which has
                    > almost identical dimensions i wanted it even more. The only changes
                    > to the cartoon are I lengthene the cabin to 10 feet and will put
                    an
                    > off center birdwatcher pass thru. I also split the bow to make it
                    > easier to get on and off on the beach. She has been even easier to
                    > build than sneak with no ducktails and bth sides parallograms
                    > giving flare instead of having to cut sheer. the hull and cabin
                    > sides are finished and now loaded on the trailer to be finished in
                    > canada, looks good and was very cheap and easy. Its hard to believe
                    > how effecient the sneak is with my 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke, maybe 20mpg
                    > runnimng to a clean plane in the teens andf very quiet at low
                    revs
                    > and a nice long legged cruising speed. because of the flare and
                    > lackof side deckes this boat "Turtle 11 " has much more interior
                    > volume too.Everybody asks aboiut the stability of a boat 4 feet on
                    > the bottom but no problems the Sneak is a great boat feels veryh
                    > secure and get a lot of attention painted black running as she does
                    > dead level through the whole speed range. I think this boat will be
                    > a great trailerable cruiser, she is very light and low, regards
                    john

                  • daschultz2000
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 9, 2008
                      Interesting. The step out bow makes sense w/o being as pronounced as
                      Micro, Martha Jane, or some Michalak designs. I would prefer an Idaho
                      square boat design that keeps everything inside the chine.

                      Thanks for posting.

                      Don