John's Mystery Boat

  • Paul McLellan
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30 5:55 AM
      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/photos/browse/2be9?c=

      Hopefully this is a link to a photo of John's Mystery Boat. He said it
      is his rendering of a very old bolger Cartoon about 25 years ago. It
      is 9 sheets of ply and 9 gallons of epoxy and some 6 oz glass from a
      rummage sale. It is 23 feet long, fout foot beam at the bottom and the
      flare gives a 5 foot beam. It is still under a $1000 just like Bolger
      said it would be 25 years ago. The cabin is 10 feet with a birdwatcher
      hatch to walk through. Bolger said it can be powered with anything
      from a 5 hp up. The look of the build speaks for itself and will be
      quite a camp cruiser. The Rake on the Lake. John hopes to tow it to
      Canada to finish this summer and try it out.
    • Chris Crandall
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 30 1:23 PM
        Is that the "River Cruiser"? more pictures, please!

        -Chris
      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 30 3:57 PM
          With some minor modification by John, this looks like the much
          admired but ( I don't believe ) ever built 'Flat Bottom Outboard
          Cruiser,'
          ( "Dovkie designed for power" ) shown in SBJ #33.

          Scans are in Bolger>Files>Power Sharpies as Cruiser.
          http://tinyurl.com/6zypka

          Mark

          On Apr 30, 2008, at 5:55 AM, Paul McLellan wrote:

          > Hopefully this is a link to a photo of John's Mystery Boat.

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 30 9:09 PM
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:
            > With some minor modification by John, this looks like the much...

            Mark,

            it does too. This sparked off a memory of an enquiry here a few
            months ago - I wonder if this design could have satisfied Bruce F,
            from over in Perth, back at message #56516

            A little short maybe.., but at a stretch, you know...

            As PCB was already working on this idea before the letter to SBJ, I
            wonder if it was finished. There's no mention in our group designs
            index... It seems a very, very good boat with accommodations, for the
            simplicity, cost, motor and fuel cost. Speaking of motors, in the SBJ
            article PCB didn't seem to address the wished for request of rowing
            and sculling - Another stretch possibly???

            Graeme

            PS.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:

            > With some minor modification by John, this looks like the much
            > admired but ( I don't believe ) ever built 'Flat Bottom Outboard
            > Cruiser,'
            > ( "Dovkie designed for power" ) shown in SBJ #33.
            >
            > Scans are in Bolger>Files>Power Sharpies as Cruiser.
            > http://tinyurl.com/6zypka
          • Chris Crandall
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2008
              > With some minor modification by John, this looks like the much
              > admired but ( I don't believe ) ever built 'Flat Bottom Outboard
              > Cruiser,' ("Dovkie designed for power" ) shown in SBJ #33.

              Yeah, that's what I meant. I tried to get Bolger to finish the design,
              offered him money, told him about the very little information I needed
              to finish the design.

              He told me to suck eggs. Actually, he was very nice, but said that if I
              went ahead and built it, I should consider it *my* design, and that he
              wouldn't help me (with good reason, I feel). All I wanted was a little
              information about the dimensions of the bow angle and a little something
              about the stem. He said "build what you like sonny" in the nicest way
              possible.

              > As PCB was already working on this idea before the letter to SBJ, I
              > wonder if it was finished. There's no mention in our group designs
              > index... It seems a very, very good boat with accommodations, for the
              > simplicity, cost, motor and fuel cost. Speaking of motors, in the SBJ
              > article PCB didn't seem to address the wished for request of rowing
              > and sculling - Another stretch possibly???

              They also suggested the big cabin clam skiff, a very likeable boat, but
              I don't want a big engine, I like my 5hp Nissan, and do't want to exceed
              9.9hp for any of my future boats.

              (Of course, the 5hp Nissan is more than enough boat for my Sunfish.)

              -Chris
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2008
              • Mark Albanese
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                  Chris,

                  Nowadays, with Greg's Hulls you could get all that in an hour -and
                  rebrand yourself a boat designer to boot :}

                  On May 1, 2008, at 12:48 PM, Chris Crandall wrote:

                  >> 'Flat Bottom Outboard
                  >> Cruiser,' ("Dovkie designed for power" ) shown in SBJ #33.
                  >
                  > Yeah, that's what I meant. I tried to get Bolger to finish the design,
                  > offered him money, told him about the very little information I needed
                  > to finish the design.
                  >
                  > He told me to suck eggs.
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2008
                    Hi Chris -

                    The Martha Jane (revised) makes a nice low-powered camper -- 8HP pushes it nicely. You
                    get the amenities of the Outboard Cruiser and Cabin Clam skiff and still keep under 9.9.
                    I'd say go ahead and try your 5HP on it first - it might be enough too.

                    Most of my boating is on local lakes where the wind is too flakey to sail. I use the MJ
                    mostly as a powerboat.

                    Food for thought since the MJ is already a finished and tested design.

                    I have some YouTube footage showing some testing with a small (not the power thrust)
                    8HP Honda 4-stroke. I don't even have the leeboards or mast on it yet - or the rudder yet
                    for that matter. Or paint on the transom (or the doors built...) If you want to see it, go to

                    http://www.youtube.com/mike27608

                    Once there, click on Bolger Martha Jane Motor Test Run. The engine sounds and
                    comments you hear are from the chase boat/photographer. The Honda is not very loud at
                    all.

                    Using the power thrust 8 instead of the one in the video, I can push the loaded boat just a
                    bit over 6knots, but the motor is working. Cruising / no wake speed is about 4.5 knots
                    and the engine is quiet and happy at that speed.

                    Mike

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

                    > > With some minor modification by John, this looks like the much
                    > > admired but ( I don't believe ) ever built 'Flat Bottom Outboard
                    > > Cruiser,' ("Dovkie designed for power" ) shown in SBJ #33.
                    >
                    > Yeah, that's what I meant. I tried to get Bolger to finish the design,
                    > offered him money, told him about the very little information I needed
                    > to finish the design.
                    >
                    > He told me to suck eggs. Actually, he was very nice, but said that if I
                    > went ahead and built it, I should consider it *my* design, and that he
                    > wouldn't help me (with good reason, I feel). All I wanted was a little
                    > information about the dimensions of the bow angle and a little something
                    > about the stem. He said "build what you like sonny" in the nicest way
                    > possible.
                    >
                    > > As PCB was already working on this idea before the letter to SBJ, I
                    > > wonder if it was finished. There's no mention in our group designs
                    > > index... It seems a very, very good boat with accommodations, for the
                    > > simplicity, cost, motor and fuel cost. Speaking of motors, in the SBJ
                    > > article PCB didn't seem to address the wished for request of rowing
                    > > and sculling - Another stretch possibly???
                    >

                    > They also suggested the big cabin clam skiff, a very likeable boat, but
                    > I don't want a big engine, I like my 5hp Nissan, and do't want to exceed
                    > 9.9hp for any of my future boats.
                    >
                    > (Of course, the 5hp Nissan is more than enough boat for my Sunfish.)
                    >
                    > -Chris

                  • captjbturtle
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2008

                      > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2457045511/

                      yes Bruce, thats the boat, thanks, IUve been interested since it
                      first came out and based on the sucess of my sneakeasy which has
                      almost identical dimensions i wanted it even more. The only changes
                      to the cartoon are I lengthene the cabin to 10 feet and will put an
                      off center birdwatcher pass thru. I also split the bow to make it
                      easier to get on and off on the beach. She has been even easier to
                      build than sneak with no ducktails and bth sides parallograms
                      giving flare instead of having to cut sheer. the hull and cabin
                      sides are finished and now loaded on the trailer to be finished in
                      canada, looks good and was very cheap and easy. Its hard to believe
                      how effecient the sneak is with my 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke, maybe 20mpg
                      runnimng to a clean plane in the teens andf very quiet at low revs
                      and a nice long legged cruising speed. because of the flare and
                      lackof side deckes this boat "Turtle 11 " has much more interior
                      volume too.Everybody asks aboiut the stability of a boat 4 feet on
                      the bottom but no problems the Sneak is a great boat feels veryh
                      secure and get a lot of attention painted black running as she does
                      dead level through the whole speed range. I think this boat will be
                      a great trailerable cruiser, she is very light and low, regards john
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                        > . Its hard to believe
                        > how effecient the sneak is with my 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke, maybe 20mpg
                        > runnimng to a clean plane in the teens andf very quiet at low revs
                        > and a nice long legged cruising speed.

                        That is good to hear, considering that the Topaz Spyder which I am
                        building has an very similar shape, 25% bigger. Bolger specifies a
                        10hp as an acceptable motor for Topaz. With $4 gasoline now, I think
                        that fuel efficient boats make more sense that ever.

                        Update on Topaz, I am presently working on the navigation lights, and
                        am looking at a weekend of sanding of primer on the windscreen, and
                        inside the rear compartment.
                      • graeme19121984
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 2, 2008
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

                          > He told me to suck eggs. Actually, he was very nice, but said that
                          > if I went ahead and built it, I should consider it *my* design, and
                          > that he wouldn't help me (with good reason, I feel).

                          I wonder why, do you know those reasons? Is Outboard Cruiser before
                          or after Sharpshooter? I wonder if they're more connected than a
                          study plan would show?

                          You see, Outboard Cruiser (OC) seems to have the bottom of the
                          windscreen at a height of about 2'6" rather than about 4' in
                          Sharpshooter#1, and is shown with the helm seat almost on the floor.
                          The height of crew weight underway therefor should be much lower than
                          that problem is in Sharpshooter#1. However, the slot top of OC might
                          encourage passengers to stand when underway.., might it not? And what
                          about the dinghy weight on top?

                          OC seems to have much less rocker than Sharpshooter, particularly
                          toward the bow. I wonder if this would increase or decrease the
                          highly unacceptable rolling upon steering correction, after first
                          yawing when crossing a following wave, that saw the Sharpshooter#1
                          remodeled?

                          In the 1982 30-ODD BOATS chapter on Sharpshooter Bolger writes that
                          since 1954 he must have done at least 20 variations on this square-
                          tail dory idea, at various lengths. I haven't heard of a handling
                          problem with Sea Hawk at any reasonable speed. Sea Hawk even has
                          quarter skids specified for larger engines to prevent any sideways
                          planing... so it would seem tight turning never triggers digging in
                          and rolling...

                          Are the Sharpshooter#1 problems mainly why PCB wasn't interested in
                          completing the design of Outboard Cruiser?

                          Graeme
                        • Paul McLellan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 9, 2008
                            It has been a while but John Bartlett completed the cabin and
                            mechanicals to get the new Bolger inspired light cruiser launched. I
                            have attached three pictures.

                            Johns description is below but I had a chance to try it out and the
                            performance is incredible. It looks pretty funky but with the
                            birdwatcher hatch it is easy to move about and with the daybed
                            conversion to a double it should make a fast light camp cruiser. Of
                            course as with all Bolger boats you can expect to draw a crowd and
                            spend a lot of time explaining things to the great uneducated masses
                            of tupperware boaters. regards and happy boating -- Paul

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "captjbturtle" <captjbturtle@...>
                            wrote:

                            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2457045511/
                            > >
                            > yes Bruce, thats the boat, thanks, IUve been interested since it
                            > first came out and based on the sucess of my sneakeasy which has
                            > almost identical dimensions i wanted it even more. The only changes
                            > to the cartoon are I lengthene the cabin to 10 feet and will put
                            an
                            > off center birdwatcher pass thru. I also split the bow to make it
                            > easier to get on and off on the beach. She has been even easier to
                            > build than sneak with no ducktails and bth sides parallograms
                            > giving flare instead of having to cut sheer. the hull and cabin
                            > sides are finished and now loaded on the trailer to be finished in
                            > canada, looks good and was very cheap and easy. Its hard to believe
                            > how effecient the sneak is with my 9.9 yamaha 4 stroke, maybe 20mpg
                            > runnimng to a clean plane in the teens andf very quiet at low
                            revs
                            > and a nice long legged cruising speed. because of the flare and
                            > lackof side deckes this boat "Turtle 11 " has much more interior
                            > volume too.Everybody asks aboiut the stability of a boat 4 feet on
                            > the bottom but no problems the Sneak is a great boat feels veryh
                            > secure and get a lot of attention painted black running as she does
                            > dead level through the whole speed range. I think this boat will be
                            > a great trailerable cruiser, she is very light and low, regards
                            john

                          • daschultz2000
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 9, 2008
                              Interesting. The step out bow makes sense w/o being as pronounced as
                              Micro, Martha Jane, or some Michalak designs. I would prefer an Idaho
                              square boat design that keeps everything inside the chine.

                              Thanks for posting.

                              Don