Fldg Schnr Mast options?

  • Hardings
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2000
      It is going to be a near run thing to get the Folding Schooner in the water by
      July 20. I plan to buy mast material next week when I will be on vacation and
      can work every day. 16ft 2x4 are hard to find except in the pressure treated
      material. It is cheap at $1.92 per running ft. but I don't like the idea of
      working with it. I found some construction grade redwood for $2.65 a running
      ft. Condons will mill them out of quarter sawn clear Doug Fir for $9.75 a
      running ft. A local mill will sell me clear oak 3x 3, actual, 16 ft , rough
      sawn for $50 a piece. Or I could spend a morning picking through the pile of 16
      ft 2x 4s and laminate the blanks. Finding enough clamps will be a problem.
      Suggestions?

      Leander
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2000
        I don't suppose we could find a couple of trees about 3 inches in
        diameter. Pre-rounded. Pre-tapered. Just strong enough for one
        vacation. You don't want oak. It's too heavy. I have a bunch of c-
        clamps but I'm not sure they are big enough for two 2x4's. I'll let
        you know.

        Peter

      • amajorov@mediaone.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2000
          I went out and bought a bunch of clamps for my Windsprint's mast.
          When my dad found out he told me how to do the same thing with some
          line, sticks and wedges. Back in the old country simply buying a
          bunch of clamps wasn't an option.

          Anyhow, take a piece of line and square-knot it loosely around your
          mast pieces. Put the stick through the loop and twist it, like a
          turniquet. Then drive wedges in under the tightened loop of line to
          exert pressure on the joint. I used a finishing nail to keep the
          stick from unwinding and made the wedges about half the width of the
          wood. If there's some warpage you can use the same technique to force
          the wood into alignment.

          It's easier to do then to describe although there's a lot more
          fiddling then with clamps. But you can't beat the price.

          Allen