Re: [bolger] How seaworthy is an AS 29?

  • Fred Schumacher
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 24, 2008
      The second skin idea with foam is a very good concept, especially if a grid
      of glued and screwed furring strips running at right angles are placed on
      the original shell first. That turns the skin of the boat into a torsion
      box, which is incredibly strong and stiff. I've thought this would make for
      good boat construction if designed so from the start. Say put a skin of
      pressure treated plywood on the outside and a skin of baltic birch on the
      inside, with foam in between. You would have a tough, cheap, abrasion
      tolerant skin on the outside and beautiful surface for the inside, with
      flotation not interfering with internal space. A torsion box would also
      reduce the amount of internal framing needed.

      Fred Schumacher